Any information would be appreciated

Thirdeyeartifactguy

Apr 21, 2019
NE PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriends grandfather passed away and we found this in the house. I believe it is a celt. Hopefully the pictures are good enough but if you look closely you can see peck marks on it on the back end and what appears to be use wear/ polish on the bit. The majority of the piece has been polished along the sides as well but towards the end its rougher with the peck marks. Location: pennsylvania by the delaware water gap but I was told the piece may not be from around here. Input on the piece would be greatly appreciated. I was gifted some points as well I'll post them near future. Thank you.

20191213_212717.jpg
20191213_212906.jpg 20191213_212810.jpg 20191213_212837.jpg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting shape , not a typical Celt shape but does have that bit end ..sorry I can’t help much but definitely looks to be an artifact I’m sure somebody else will be able to provide more info

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice little flared bit celt to me. Nice use polish on the bit. Somewhat odd in outline from the norm, but I'd be proud of it.

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriends grandfather passed away and we found this in the house. I believe it is a celt. Hopefully the pictures are good enough but if you look closely you can see peck marks on it on the back end and what appears to be use wear/ polish on the bit. The majority of the piece has been polished along the sides as well but towards the end its rougher with the peck marks. Location: pennsylvania by the delaware water gap but I was told the piece may not be from around here. Input on the piece would be greatly appreciated. I was gifted some points as well I'll post them near future. Thank you.

View attachment 1779444
View attachment 1779449 View attachment 1779447 View attachment 1779448

Flared bit Celt Mississippian. Rare and collectible.

OP
OP
T

Thirdeyeartifactguy

Apr 21, 2019
NE PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies. I'll take some more pictures when I get a chance. I will also make a new thread with some points.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the replies. I'll take some more pictures when I get a chance. I will also make a new thread with some points.

Glad you are into the artifacts, local + regional = gives broad perspective on the cultures...! :thumbsup:
Research, research and more...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread