2019 year end review

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it seems that I’m only able to make about one post a year anymore! We just had our fourth child in 5 years so each year it gets harder to find and post stuff. It wasn’t a great year but I did find some beauties.

I am fairly certain that the blade is a Wadlow. What is interesting about that, based on my research, is that they seem to be associated with burial offerings due to lack of secondary flaking. They also believe that it was a perform of the Etley. They found several mounds in this area with etleys and tons of wadlow blades. Pretty cool!

I’m not certain on the types of the others. I think the other big one is an Etley but not sure. These were all found in creeks in southern Illinois.

The blade was a real heart stopper! I went out two nights later and the water level had going up just a few inches and with that small increase in level I wouldn’t have been able to find that blade or the other two artifacts I find the two nights prior. Conditions are key when searching creeks!

4692C41E-4024-48D7-8ACF-D719607A81F6.jpeg

E25FD67C-D02A-42B6-9EF8-418FB772FF65.jpeg 1ABF1494-6A24-42FA-9970-016B0558DD2F.jpeg
39F52A28-0DDD-44F0-8523-704E2D3B4FF5.jpeg C348F08F-4BC4-4030-B1D5-72C32D803DD5.jpeg C5EE6EC7-4DE4-48C8-B2CC-A3B01449F129.jpg
8BE72009-0D49-4168-9E9C-7BB9E376759F.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That had to be a real thrill when your flashlight scanned up the creek and saw the edge of that blade reflecting back at you, I can feel it here and now from where I set ! Congrats on the growing family and collection.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That blade is killer , the ones you found are all really nice . 4 kids in 5 years ..... jeeze I can’t believe you make it out at all I only have 1 that’s 1.5 years old and I struggle to find time. Soon they will be bigger and be out there finding points with you [emoji106]

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That blade is killer , the ones you found are all really nice . 4 kids in 5 years ..... jeeze I can’t believe you make it out at all I only have 1 that’s 1.5 years old and I struggle to find time. Soon they will be bigger and be out there finding points with you [emoji106]

I’ve had my oldest out with me since he was about 18 months. I remember him stumbling around in the plowed up fields in the river bottoms! I am able to take the older two out now for some better adventures through farmlands and into creeks and they love it! I can only imagine how cool it will be as they get older and more able... that is if they still think I’m cool enough to hang with! :)

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That had to be a real thrill when your flashlight scanned up the creek and saw the edge of that blade reflecting back at you, I can feel it here and now from where I set ! Congrats on the growing family and collection.

It was awesome when i realized it was a blade. It was one of those shapes that catches your eye and you give it a second look. Many times I’d flip something like that with my stick thinking it’s just a flat rock but it’s better to be safe than sorry but I got down a little closer to take a better look because it just seemed like more than a rock. It wasn’t until I rubbed my finger along the edge that I knew it was a blade for sure! That’s when I pulled out the camera and got a few shots of the rock bar. It was a new rock bar and I had found a broken drill just a few feet away so I wanted to document it a little better... I was pumped for sure!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice 2019 wrap up. I appreciate viewing the photo sequence of that find.
Is it a typical method to hunt at night with a flashlight?

OP
OP
B

BobGuy

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 2019 wrap up. I appreciate viewing the photo sequence of that find.
Is it a typical method to hunt at night with a flashlight?

I’m not sure I’d call it a typical method but that’s what works best for my schedule! :)

The land owner is good with it and the creek runs deep into the woods away from any houses.

I actually prefer the night now. The light helps keep my eyes focused and the woods are awesome at night! This time of year is silent and super peaceful and when there is a full moon you almost don’t need a flashlight because it lights the creek up so we’ll due to no leaves on the trees.

My wife thinks I’m weird but I tell her that there are worse things I could be going out and doing at night. I haven’t had a drink in almost 10 years so I choose the creek over the bar!

I wouldn’t recommend most people go out and do this. I read an article once called “tweakers and diggers” which was about meth heads looting mounds and shelters at night and you wouldn’t want to give anyone that impression! And even with permission you could still freak the neighbors out..

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Weird method for sure. Cool though, and seems to work for you too.

I’ll definitely be watching to see the 2020 photos and adventures.

Keep me coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread