Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice! There are some oldies in that assemblage of family found artifacts... Thanks for sharing!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Holy Cow, what a great collection!

Page two and three are absolutely amazing, there is a heaping portion of paleo and archaic goodness in those frames.

You wouldn't offend anyone by posting more of those!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, I'll go $50 bucks but shipping has to be free! Super collection of classic Ohio artifacts. Like Joshuaream said that old stuff is amazing. I saw a lot of very nice points in your collection. Please keep posting. What area of Ohio? I saw a collection from Coshocton County that resembles yours. Welcome.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, that's amazing. Would you care to share what part of Ohio these are from? Your very first one interests me since it appears that it could be Pipe Creek material from around the Bellvue area. There are very few Paleo points that I'm aware of made from that material.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was incredible. What an amazing collection. Just a guess from the material but up around the Coshocton area of the state.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a great collection you and your family have assembled. We’re these all found by you or family or purchased collections? Some really great points thanks for showing

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding collection! How many years or generations did it take to do that?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
All natural.... kidding of course.

nice collection. Obviously there are many, many years of hunting reflected.

OP
OP
ohiofinds 1

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you like them.I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Our collection was began over a century ago by my grandfather, my father and my uncles on the family farm.When my father retired in the 1960's he spent many carefree hours out in the fields. I always thought artifact hunting was Time Well Spent and our kids,now adults,like it too.
Most of these were found in north central Ohio in the area bordered by the Walhonding and Kokosing drainage on the south, the Killbuck and Mohican going north and the Huron, Vermillion and Black rivers drainages.
We always recorded where each artifact was found and have over 800 sites on our plat maps. Many of these consist of a single biface from a single visit.About half of our collection was found on about a dozen major sites including one on Beaver creek in Pike Co. that has produced about five hundred complete points.
Anyone interested in archaeology can use the photos as a visual guide to what was (and still is) under the ground in Ohio.

OP
OP
ohiofinds 1

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dirstscratcher,
I believe that the purplish color that looks like Pipe Creek is the result of heating the base to remove it from the shaft or foreshaft.There are a couple of potlid fractures on one face. The tip end seems to be grey
Upper Mercer. Glad you like the photos.

EDaniels

Jun 9, 2018
Broome County NY
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what a collection and to be collected throughout multiple generations is awesome. I was just curious about what appears to be what I call a thumbnail scraper. It is the middle item on the 15'th slide. I was just curious of the size as I have found one in NY which seems to be very similar in shape but not color.

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
ohiofinds 1

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi EDaniels That is a great example of a uniface tool.Most of them date to the Archaic (3000 to 10000)years ago. Where you find an artifact there are usually more to be found.Happy Hunting.

Last edited:

EDaniels

Jun 9, 2018
Broome County NY
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi EDaniels That is a great example of a uniface tool.Most of them date to the Archaic (3000 to 10000)years ago. Where you find an artifact there are usually more to be found.Happy Hunting.

Thank you I have just started this addictive hobby a couple years ago although I have always been fascinated with the Native American culture and history which there is quite a bit of in the area I was raised and still live. Not nearly as impressive as yours but I have started my own collection as well.

Attachments

• 550242919.jpg
    550242919.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 49

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great collection that's just amazing I've been looking here in Mi haven't found any artifacts yet. Thanks for sharing your Familys collection. Really cool. Tommy

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that the purplish color that looks like Pipe Creek is the result of heating the base to remove it from the shaft or foreshaft.There are a couple of potlid fractures on one face. The tip end seems to be grey

FWIW, cementing points into hafts begins in the Late Paleo/Early Archaic era (depending on where you divide them).

The "tell" there is that (when not recycled), fluted point bases are undamaged -- simply untied, pulled out of their foreshafts & discarded intact. From Quad on, you start seeing damage on broken bases/exhausted points from being beaten loose (probably using a long bone). Early corner notches frequently have broken shoulders/toes from this, indicating they were cemented in place.

Good eye on the potlids, but heat like that would have burnt the foreshaft.

Edit to add picture illustrating this (Indiana example that PP.net "borrowed" from arrowheadology. Whole right side shows impacts).

QuadBW.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ohiofinds 1

ohiofinds 1

Jan 17, 2020
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, cementing points into hafts begins in the Late Paleo/Early Archaic era (depending on where you divide them).

The "tell" there is that (when not recycled), fluted point bases are undamaged -- simply untied, pulled out of their foreshafts & discarded intact. From Quad on, you start seeing damage on broken bases/exhausted points from being beaten loose (probably using a long bone). Early corner notches frequently have broken shoulders/toes from this, indicating they were cemented in place.

Good eye on the potlids, but heat like that would have burnt the foreshaft.

Edit to add picture illustrating this (Indiana example that PP.net "borrowed" from arrowheadology. Whole right side shows impacts).

QuadBW.jpg

I agree a foreshaft would have been burnt in this case. I have not seen many fluted points with basal corner damage without visible evidence of applied heat.There is one (controversial) paper on the use of mastic in hafting paleo points in Oregon. It is available via google search. Otherwise there is a lack of papers on the subject of paleo hafting published in North America.This is in contrast to Europe, where nearly everyone used
hafting mastics at all time periods and a large amount of research has been published.From an Ohio perspective of Early Archaic types the Kirk corner notched cluster and Big Sandy side notches often have damaged
basal corners,though most would not have been considered exhausted.The Big Sandys in particular were often resharpened to leave a massive base and tiny triangular point.The hafting piece must not have extended
much past the notches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread