FulkV

Greenie
Mar 8, 2020
Midwest
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 - Nox800 - V3i / Sold-DFX, Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
carve2.jpg carve9.jpg carve8.jpg carve7.jpg carve6.jpg carve5.jpg carve4.jpg carve3.jpg carve1.jpg carve9a.jpg

This was found in the Midwest MO .. It was found 8ft below ground level.... Not sure what kind of stone it is but it feels dense like marble. It has some crazy carvings on it and it is kinda creepy. Let me know what you think about it.

Upvote 0

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t help you out with what it is or how old but still a cool find.

Maybe Joshua will happen along, he is pretty knowledgeable on stuff like that.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of imagery on that, cool whatever it is.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
it's hard to tell head from tails, up or down. would like to have it in hand to examine. is that front and back of stone? I'm seeing faces??? pic 2 of 10 looks like some creature with a small elephant like trunk and a nice beer belly. WTH??? that is a good one FulkV.
Im no ambassador for this site as I have just recently returned, but I know you will be welcomed.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow... the longer I look at it the creepier it is. This guy stood out to me.

Untitled.png

OP
OP
F

FulkV

Greenie
Mar 8, 2020
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is carved on all sides...just kinda randomly... There are three elephants, an anteater? Several humans? and about 12 different faces(bearded man??)??? I have no idea what to think about it.... Elephant with beer belly.LOL(I thought the same)..looks Asian/indian origin??

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so bizarre I honestly thought here’s another one somebody’s seeing faces that aren’t there but there is definitely some crazy stuff going on .... Whatever it is whoever made that had some serious talent and imagination cause there’s so much going on I think I see something additional every time I look at it. Pretty damn cool I would frame it

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That is indeed cool. No clue what it is, but it doesn't match anything I've seen from Native American groups in the US. Once you get down to Central Mexico you start to see some really complex carvings like that, but you also see them from a lot of places in Asia as well.

How certain are you it was found 8 feet down? Anything else found with it?

The more you look at it the more you see. One of the faces looks like a classic Aztec half/half face (one side wears a mask, one is skull like), but the larger face is a pretty good representation of a Mayan profile. But some of the other stuff doesn't look like something either culture created.

The closest thing I can think of is one of the Mayan jade free form or cobble carvings, but it clearly isn't jade. I couldn't find any good pictures of ancient ones, but this is a modern on eBay. You get a lot of faces, profiles, and then snakes and figures filling in the empty space. Both the Aztecs and Mayans carved some larger stelae with multiple carvings on all the surfaces, but they are typically quite large.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTI-FACE...YA-KING-GUATEMALAN-JADEITE-JADE-/183635277004

OP
OP
F

FulkV

Greenie
Mar 8, 2020
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found 8ft below surface level in the side of a creek bank in an area that is well know for Hopewell habitation but there was nothing found along side of it. I do not believe it is Native American(US) either. I did see the Aztec/Mayan faces and it may make sense that it could have been a trade item acquired by the Hopewell?? It just puzzles the jabeezus out of me. :)

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that before you can even get close to an ID you will have to determine exaltly what material it is made from. Then at least you will know where it came from. We'll all be watching!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is oddly familiar looking, but I can't place my finger on it.

I just feel like I've seen something very similar at one time.

Very interesting find!

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would think to fake something unlike what they have seen before?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread