Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi y'all! I found this a few days ago while detecting a field. I had three people tell me that people used to find tons of Indian artifacts and pottery nearby while I was on my detecting adventure. I have never found an artifact before but I sent a picture to an archaeologist and he said it's definitely an artifact, I also showed a picture to my friend who is a geologist and posted everything I found that day it in todays finds. Thought you guys might want to see.

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but the shape is similar to some Woodland period cache blades I have seen pictures of... IDK though, and with only half of it we may never know what it was.
IMG_2326.JPG IMG_2327.JPG
Thanks for looking and HH!

Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it is a piece of a preform (a broken preform)--a knapped piece not yet in it's final form. As MAMucker said, it looks like Coshocton flint.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it is a piece of a preform (a broken preform)--a knapped piece not yet in it's final form. As MAMucker said, it looks like Coshocton flint.

Definitely an artifact. Upper Mercer Flint (Coshocton Black)

Thanks! I was sort of thinking it might that type of flint just because of the color but I had nothing else to go off of.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they turn over the fields soon get out there and find more.

Heck yeah I will. I know a place a couple miles from where I found this where I have a couple hundred acres (I am guessing) to search. I no longer have permission to hunt on the property where I found this one though. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread