Close-Ups of Three Interesting Points

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still practicing my smart phone photography skills, but here goes!
These three were rescued from Old Timers' Finger Lakes NY collections, but the lithic materials - maybe the points themselves - traveled from another State/Region, I would say. Using NYS typology, I would identify the lanceolate point as a Fox Creek; also shown is a pretty Adena; and a handsome Stark. Any input on the typology is more than welcomed!

Fox 2.jpg
Fox1.jpg
Adena 1.jpg
Adena 2.jpg
stark1.jpg
stark2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
FWIW, When I looked at it, what I saw is a point on its way to being completed, but not there yet. With the high trans-facial arises thinned away, the hafting area constriction narrowed by final-finishing, the other side fluted like the first side and secondary thinning flakes removed (note multiple wide, shallow flutes like Redstones [probable contemporaries] often have) and the basal edge trued up, it could easily be one.

On the other hand, maybe not.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's what Dr. Jonathan Lothrop, Curator of Native American Archeology at the NYS Museum had to say when I asked him if it could be a "Holcomb", a next of kin to a Crowfield: "I've looked over your photographs, and agree that based on the single slightly off-center flute on the one face of this point, it does bear some similarity to Holcombe/Cormier-Nicholas point forms, and so could be Late Paleoindian.

The one characteristic, however, that concerns me is that the lateral margins on your point are not clearly expanding as they typically do for these Holcombe/Cormier-Nicholas point forms. Having said that, there's a lot of internal variability in these late Paleoindian forms, so it could just be an outlier. As an isolated find, we will never really be able to say for sure, but your point could be late Paleoindian. Too bad provenience is unknown! "

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Ran into a PhD dissertation I saved in doc. file that you would find very useful. Unfortunately can't just e-mail it as the computer's hacked & email's dysfunctional. But if I found it, you can.

Visualizing Paleoindian and Archaic Mobility in the Ohio Region of North America. Amanda N. Colucci, Kent State U., 2017. Good info on materials movement Ohio-NY-Penna.

FWIW

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ran into a PhD dissertation I saved in doc. file that you would find very useful. Unfortunately can't just e-mail it as the computer's hacked & email's dysfunctional. But if I found it, you can.

Visualizing Paleoindian and Archaic Mobility in the Ohio Region of North America. Amanda N. Colucci, Kent State U., 2017. Good info on materials movement Ohio-NY-Penna.

FWIW

Got it - thanks, Uni !

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great points and for phone photos I've found a photo box on Amazon for 15$ with it's on light system,it works great. 0308201200.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread