Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this and would like some input as to what it is made of. I recently posted it. A recent find near the Ohio River near Wheeling, W. VA.

See the other thread for details. It may be light colored Flint Ridge, I'm not sure. I thought it was Burlington, but have never looked that far west.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1794.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my take on this I can tell with100% accurate knowledge from 30 years of mining and heating Novaculite that point is not Novaculite.
Thank you. I was hoping you or someone else would comment on that. I'm glad it's not!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm trying to figure out what chert or flint I'm finding in northern PA. I think its Onondaga, but there are local deposits too. Makes it hard.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy thats a beauty. Heck I got points I found in Colorado and the material they're made out of, I suspect came from hundreds of miles away. I've even found a couple made of this white material and I've always thought some materials were traded as a commodity and maybe viewed to possess magical properties, superior qualities or just eye appeal, much like the pretty rocks have on so many of us today. It was an ancient industry I believe in the trade if microcrystalline rock material. Some sources of certain types created a great economic power for some, such as the green obsidian mined and control by the Mayan. I even believe certain tribes possessed very skilled craftsmen who made very fine projectile points and traded them to others who were not so inclined to spend all day making arrowheads, but instead spent their efforts on the art of hunting and gathering for themselves and for trade by what they cultivated. Its was all cutting edge technology going on thousands of years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread