Found 3 points creek walking today. Possible Clovis point?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I literally found this creek walking TODAY. I found the big red point, which I believe is a Clovis point with the sharp pointy tip missing? I also found an unpictured white quartz notched point (gave it to my mom who was hunting with me with ZERO luck) and another small white point (pictured) I have no clue what it is. Anybody have any idea on the big "red" point though? Any of the others? Id love to get an idea of the time period etc of these if possible. I'm in Western North Carolina in the mountains just 20 mins from the TN border in a very well known, LONG TIME NA area. Looks like the back of a "Clovis point" with the point tip broken off. Am I way off base? At first I thought the "flatter, thicker" side was the base of the point and the curved part was the broken tip. After looking online, I believe the crescent moon shaped side is actually the part that would have been attached to the arrow and the other flat side is where the tip is broken off. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, just what it looked like to me Haha! Thats why I'm here asking though! I'm new to all this really and am just excited as can be to have found these relics. This is the same creek I found my NA pottery I posted as well as many of my other finds. Lots of NA history on this creek though and plenty more to be found I'm sure! This big red one was just stuck in the mud on the side of the creek, freshly exposed. What a beauty! To me anyway Haha! Thanks for any info and as always I appreciate the support! Stay safe and keep hunting! 20200729_210332.jpg 20200729_210337.jpg 20200729_210349.jpg 20200729_210400.jpg 20200729_210403.jpg 20200729_210415.jpg 20200729_210420.jpg 20200729_210441.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are pics of the measurements. Hard to see but the point as it sits is 2.25" long and .75" at its widest point. I THINK there is atleast .25" of the tip missing, maybe more. Its 3-4 times the size of the other 2 I found and is a completely different material and size, shape etc. Strange to find in such a small area. Here are a few pics my mom sent me of the notched quartz point I found today and gave to her. She usually has all the luck... today was my day lol! 20200729_233031.jpg 20200729_233104.jpg received_296326261576875.jpeg received_2429317087361377.jpeg received_2700830176910065.jpeg received_619428438680313.jpeg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Joshua is spot on. I found this one in west central Georgia many years ago. Amazing similarity to yours in both type and material, and not what you expect to find around here. Can't help but wonder how a NC point ended up down this way. That is, if it's even a Guilford in the first place, but I couldn't figure what else it could be. Very odd with the tiny serrations.

Yours would've been a killer. What a heartbreaker.

Attachments

• guilford.jpg
    guilford.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 35
  • guilford1.jpg
    guilford1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 35
  • guilford2.jpg
    guilford2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 29

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, Congrats! Someday I hope to find my first one!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d add Clovis in general is fluted, other paleo features include basal grinding and quality material. Still some nice finds all I’ve got in the last several months are badly broken tool fragments.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are awesome... as always! I appreciate all the replies. SD51, you'll find yours for sure, just keep LOOKING! This red beauty was just sticking flat in the mud waiting to be noticed! I just wish it hadnt been broken... and yes, I searched the area for the rest of the point to no avail. I'm super happy with the find and I'm prepping for another day on the creek right now! Any more opinions or info are welcome. Thanks for the great links also! Tonight I will dive in to learn more about the different points and things I should know. I have some good starting points with those links...

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@sandchip that is strikingly similar! Especially the color and apparent material. Very odd. My first thought when I found it was where did they get this translucent red rock? It looks like nothing I see out here regularly and I'm out A LOT! Maybe they were brought in? Traded? Either way, I'm pretty sure ours are VERY similar. Those tiny serrations on yours are impressive though!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve surface hunted a bit in Mathews, NC. The Red-Clay dirt sticks to everything.

The material on the Guilford looks to be a type of quartzite. If it’s clean, that’s a beautiful red variety.

Nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread