Carved stone Identification

CedarCreek1

Greenie
Aug 5, 2020
Coweta County Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carved stone Identification help please???

I found this stone in an area by my house where some small trees and privet hedge had been pushed up by the roots. It is about 2 1/2 inches wide x 1 1/2 tall x 3/4 inches thick.. it's obviously been carved but i have no idea what it is? Any suggestions? 1.jpg rock1.jpg rock2.jpg rock3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a rope making tool, but maybe only because they were in the archaeological news recently.

OP
OP
C

CedarCreek1

Greenie
Aug 5, 2020
Coweta County Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that is definitely a possibility.. I just know that it is stone. I posted it here because I value the knowledge you folks have on items like this!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone has definitely been altered by man, but not putting down this find an this is JMO. I don't buy into the sinew theory of splitting the fiber with a stone in that shape. I have handled whitetail, elk, moose, mule deer and even Emu sinew an you don't have to strip it. All you have to do with the leg tendon is let it dry an hit it with a stone an it will break up into threads. As for back straps clean the meat off let it dry an you can twist it with your hands working it back an forth and it will divide into very nice pieces of thread. Just my thoughts due to the fact that I have handled 100's of pounds of sinew.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The stone has definitely been altered by man, but not putting down this find an this is JMO. I don't buy into the sinew theory of splitting the fiber with a stone in that shape. I have handled whitetail, elk, moose, mule deer and even Emu sinew an you don't have to strip it. All you have to do with the leg tendon is let it dry an hit it with a stone an it will break up into threads. As for back straps clean the meat off let it dry an you can twist it with your hands working it back an forth and it will divide into very nice pieces of thread. Just my thoughts due to the fact that I have handled 100's of pounds of sinew.

Although the archaeological textbooks probably have not caught up, it seems to have been established by amateur flintknappers, who also happen to be artifact hunters, that so-called sinew stones were part of knapping kits, and had nothing to do with sinew. This was discussed, at great length, on another artifact forum, where some of my local artifact friends who had found sinew stones and were also experienced at knapping pretty much proved their point, in my estimation.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was an abrading tool ? But if steatite a little to soft can you scratch it with a finger nail carefully ?

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, maybe not sinew. I was mowing CRP ground today and cursing the Dogbane. The other name for the plant is Indian hemp, which does need to have the stem sheath stripped from the inner fibers, and was supposedly used by the NA's for cordage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread