Unique find, would like more info *tool or unfinished preform?*

indianajaune

Jul 17, 2018
North America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found an interesting artifact while digging today. I read quite a bit about Native American artifacts, and I've been checking this forum almost daily. However, I never found anything like this. It looks like a preform/biface that's halfway done, but I'm wondering if this could be a tool instead? It is not broken, and it seems weird to me that a native would throw it away without finishing it. Any info that you can provide about it would be much appreciated!

length = 3 & half inches, width = 1 inch

Made with chert.

Found near Maine, USA.

Here's a view of the top:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

Here it is upside down:

b1.jpg

Here are the sides:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Upvote 0

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple thoughts. One, the material may not have been of a quality that allowed thinning the thick part successfully. Secondly, that may be the shape they were looking for. Possibly the thin end was to be used as an adze and the thick end was to be hand held.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Yeah, that thick end looks like it would've been very tough to finish knapping successfully.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a few pieces like that, I always thought it was something they were working on but for some reason didn't finish it and most likely discarded. Maybe a flaw in the material or it was too tough to thin out and make what they wanted. Your find could easily be a hand held tool of some type.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread