My first time to buy points
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By Older The Better
  • 2 Post By Older The Better
  • 3 Post By joshuaream
  • 1 Post By Older The Better
  • 2 Post By 11KBP

Thread: My first time to buy points

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1979 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A friend of mine told me about an auction, normally Iíll pass on points but I saw a lot of paleo/early archaic, and being a western Kansas auction on a what I assume is a little known site I thought I had a chance to get a deal good enough for me to buy someone elseís finds. I bid on a lot of lots but got priced out of all but this one. I really was interested in that dalton... at least I think it is. Looking at the other lots I feel good about authenticity. It will be a bit before I get my hands on them but Iím excited.
    Iím trying to figure out what all is in there. The auction was from a guys estate in western Kansas but he had pottery from Arizona and a point labeled St. Louis county Missouri.
    Any idís or thoughts are welcome since Iím a novice at buying points. I think I did pretty good, I wish they had pics without the words, thatís all Iíve got for now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596944169.528993.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	1855004

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596944183.865597.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	1855006

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596944196.372256.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	483.3 KB 
ID:	1855007
    Last edited by Older The Better; Aug 08, 2020 at 10:52 PM.
    WG2020, Zep11in, uniface and 4 others like this.

us
    Oct 2018
    Ohio
    CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
    395 times
    Metal Detecting
    Older the Better,

A lot of nice points, you definitely scored. If you don’t mind saying, how much did you pay for the lot.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1979 times

350 I figured the dalton was worth that but I know thereís a difference between the prices you see online or in my case overstreet and what people actually pay.
    Last edited by Older The Better; Aug 09, 2020 at 12:04 AM.
    uniface and WG2020 like this.

us
    Jun 2009
    Florida & Hong Kong
    3358 times
    Cool, I see some nice ones in there. You probably did great for what you spent.

I do see a couple that I wouldn't be shocked if they had some rechipping (just based on the angles) but there are only a couple. You'll have to look at the edges when you get them in hand. Frankly, if you are 100% personal finds up until now, it's probably not a bad thing to handle a couple of mixed points just to learn about the fake side of the hobby. I'd keep them separate from you finds.

Do the materials look right for the area? I went to KU for my master's degree and made a couple of weekend trips out to hunt western Kansas, but I couldn't tell you if those are all local materials or not. Knowing local materials and types helps immensely when buying collections from small local auction houses.

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1979 times

I definitely plan to keep them separate, as far as the material itís hard to say without looking close but I donít see anything that obviously isnít from the area, no quartz, or petrified coral or anything like that. If they turn out to be altered I can get over it like you said a good lesson

for lack of a better way to describe it his total collection was similar in composition to mine, a small percentage of full points, lots of brokes, about half was bags of scrapers and drills and retouched flakes, then the rest was flakes and flint cores. Throw in some broken bones and fragments, pottery he was trying to reassemble and the occasional label telling where a thing was found. Just seemed like he was more of a hunter than a collector or a knapper.
    Last edited by Older The Better; Aug 09, 2020 at 07:03 AM.
    joshuaream likes this.

us
    Oct 2008
    Central Great Plains
    518 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuaream View Post

Do the materials look right for the area? I went to KU for my master's degree and made a couple of weekend trips out to hunt western Kansas, but I couldn't tell you if those are all local materials or not. Knowing local materials and types helps immensely when buying collections from small local auction houses.
    The majority of those materials are not what I would expect to see from western Kansas.

us
    Apr 2017
    south east kansas
    Whites Eagle Spectrum
    1979 times
    I really donít have much to go on by the auction description, like I said he had stuff from Arizona and around St. Louis in other lots so western Kansas is just a starting point I think. I appreciate the input though now I know to look into lithics from other areas.

us
    Oct 2018
    Ohio
    CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
    395 times
    Metal Detecting
    Older the Better,

Again, great score and thank you for posting your cost. I wanted to know in case I came across an opportunity to purchase some points and I would know what was a fair price for them. I know each bunch of points would be worth different but at least I now I have a ballpark figure. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Aug 2020
    I would say that the collection looks good in the shadow box. Lots of full and undamaged points and lots of artifacts even the flakes are technically artifacts. I would have given you a good 50 lbs of artifacts from the Texas hill country.

Charter Member
    us
    Jon

Nov 2018
    Deep East Texas
    XP DEUS w/ 9" X35 and MI6 - Nokta Fors Core w/Garrett Z-Link Headphones and Pinpointer
    483 times
    I would say you did very well for a "First Timer" OTB. I like them all!

Sponsored Links