Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine told me about an auction, normally I’ll pass on points but I saw a lot of paleo/early archaic, and being a western Kansas auction on a what I assume is a little known site I thought I had a chance to get a deal good enough for me to buy someone else’s finds. I bid on a lot of lots but got priced out of all but this one. I really was interested in that dalton... at least I think it is. Looking at the other lots I feel good about authenticity. It will be a bit before I get my hands on them but I’m excited.
I’m trying to figure out what all is in there. The auction was from a guys estate in western Kansas but he had pottery from Arizona and a point labeled St. Louis county Missouri.
Any id’s or thoughts are welcome since I’m a novice at buying points. I think I did pretty good, I wish they had pics without the words, that’s all I’ve got for now

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596944169.528993.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596944183.865597.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596944196.372256.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older the Better,

A lot of nice points, you definitely scored. If you don’t mind saying, how much did you pay for the lot.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
350 I figured the dalton was worth that but I know there’s a difference between the prices you see online or in my case overstreet and what people actually pay.

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool, I see some nice ones in there. You probably did great for what you spent.

I do see a couple that I wouldn't be shocked if they had some rechipping (just based on the angles) but there are only a couple. You'll have to look at the edges when you get them in hand. Frankly, if you are 100% personal finds up until now, it's probably not a bad thing to handle a couple of mixed points just to learn about the fake side of the hobby. I'd keep them separate from you finds.

Do the materials look right for the area? I went to KU for my master's degree and made a couple of weekend trips out to hunt western Kansas, but I couldn't tell you if those are all local materials or not. Knowing local materials and types helps immensely when buying collections from small local auction houses.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely plan to keep them separate, as far as the material it’s hard to say without looking close but I don’t see anything that obviously isn’t from the area, no quartz, or petrified coral or anything like that. If they turn out to be altered I can get over it like you said a good lesson

for lack of a better way to describe it his total collection was similar in composition to mine, a small percentage of full points, lots of brokes, about half was bags of scrapers and drills and retouched flakes, then the rest was flakes and flint cores. Throw in some broken bones and fragments, pottery he was trying to reassemble and the occasional label telling where a thing was found. Just seemed like he was more of a hunter than a collector or a knapper.

Last edited:

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Do the materials look right for the area? I went to KU for my master's degree and made a couple of weekend trips out to hunt western Kansas, but I couldn't tell you if those are all local materials or not. Knowing local materials and types helps immensely when buying collections from small local auction houses.

The majority of those materials are not what I would expect to see from western Kansas.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don’t have much to go on by the auction description, like I said he had stuff from Arizona and around St. Louis in other lots so western Kansas is just a starting point I think. I appreciate the input though now I know to look into lithics from other areas.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older the Better,

Again, great score and thank you for posting your cost. I wanted to know in case I came across an opportunity to purchase some points and I would know what was a fair price for them. I know each bunch of points would be worth different but at least I now I have a ballpark figure. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Aug 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that the collection looks good in the shadow box. Lots of full and undamaged points and lots of artifacts even the flakes are technically artifacts. I would have given you a good 50 lbs of artifacts from the Texas hill country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread