Need help iding nutting stone

Jonwtsb

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2018
Sw pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting in to all this and was wondering if any one could of this for me and tell me if it’s a nutting stone or not. I’ve found a arrow head in this same creek a couple years ago.thanks
04BB66CC-B2AC-4DA0-8310-70F314EC0B91.jpeg C6887DED-45C0-4871-AFD0-E393523725B5.jpeg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, they look natural.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It looks natural to me as well. But, keep looking! There are plenty of good artifacts waiting to be found.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody care to elaborate as to what a person should be looking for?
Maybe a picture of a classic example?

What is the saying "form after function"?
Knowing the function of a particular artifact probably helps a person learn to identify it by form.

I've never found one, nor done research, but I know there are folks here with a bunch of knowledge.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, that helps a bunch.
Seriously.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
and more indents on the side too....too much going on and holes irregular

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thoughts, but am far from an expert.
It’s just that people starting out..not knowing what to look for, when they post up suspect objects...typically there is a very short “sorry natural stone, keep trying” response, followed by several additional variations of the same.

Helps a little bit, but doesn’t pass on much knowledge.

I have learned just about all of my limited knowledge about artifacts here (and google searches spawned by discussion here) and am thankful.

Look forward to better understanding ancient man.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell from the pics if the area around the holes has been subjected to heat. The holes do look natural but hard stones with natural indentations were used as rudimentary lamps with the use of animal fat. Softer stones like sandstones or soapstones were dished like Mortars with a flat bottom.

I will try to find one that I have where you can see around the holes the area looks subjected to heat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread