Atlatl Help

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
From her scale they are only 3 inches long, or about the size of a lighter. I'd think that's a little small for a Pestle. I also don't see anything that says Atl-Atl Weight to me. Not seeing any grooves and the indentions could very well be natural. There are some nice pieces in picture #8, but everything else looks natural to me. JMO

Good catch Steve, I was thinking they were bigger at first glance.

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its very close heres one i got too and they are all very similar. Mines been smoothed and rubbed long ways very small perfect flat tip on one side and wobbles and sits upright even though it seems to wanna fall over.when it rocks back and forth. This would be paiute being from Nevada i would guess.http://www.hollowtop.com/spt_html/atlweights.htm
1600402960232-767419431.jpg 16004030829072045912238.jpg

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that you may have an atlatl weight. I visited the museum down in Worland, Wy. a while back and they presented some samples of atlatl weights and I believe that there was some resemblances to your find. They also showed belemnites that were similar in size that were also thought to be used as weights. I am aware of how it is in finding worked or used stone that is out of context to the area that is searched. Searching and finding artifacts here in the west is much different and and more difficult than hunting artifacts back east. There were far less permanent settlement, the peoples were much more nomadic and traveled more to follow the game and food (berries,and seeds). You found some really nice finds there Sheperdess! :thumbsup:

DaveSmith

May 26, 2020
western nc.....foothills
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sheperdess's last post states this:

"But, I must inform you all, that I have been hunting Indian artifacts for over 60 years. All rocks in my photos are Native American. I know the difference between a river rock or a natural stone and one that has been worked by Natives."

Looks like certain ones of us need to go ahead and put this in our quote and profile to start with. Probably won't do much good, but won't have to re-type it every time we post a picture of something.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She's just another one of many looking for confirmation on what she wants her rocks to be. If she already knew what she had, I don't know why she would ask here. There, I've said what most of us were already thinking.

OP
OP
Sheperdess

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to thank everyone one for their time and opinions. May each of you have a great hunt.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheperdess, nice stuff. Thanks for taking the effort to share.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread