smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd get off my duff and post a few of mine off and on. I'll start with this big tool. Personal find many years ago in the Ocklawaha River basin in conjunction with Archaic points and other tools. For the scholars here, I'd like to know your thoughts on this one and what you would call it. Did the best I could and will post many pix trying to get the better shots of the workmanship. 102_1006.JPG 102_1007.JPG 102_1008.JPG 102_1009.JPG 102_1010.JPG 102_1012.JPG 102_1011.JPG

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard this as ignorant ramblings..with it being possible archaic vintage...and as thick as it is...could it have been a core that was also used as a hide scraper/skinner as it got thinned out? Core tool? Multi-tool?
F8B6CDA7-75F2-4EDC-A4B0-09D156C9EBB7.jpeg

Looking forward to what the experts say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm definitely thinking multi-tool(only from observing some abrasion marks in 2 different areas of the tool). I believe pic 5 shows what I could capture of some edge damage on the more pointed end and pic 6 shows what I would call very light edge damage from maybe more of a knife action use. It's not too beat up really. Over the course of several posts I'll indicate the other items found in the same pit.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Isolated spikes are prepared for further removals of the kind of long, suited-to-tool-use flakes you see scars from previous removals of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was definitely set up for future removal...which makes it hard to tell if the edges are worn from use or intentional abrasion getting ready to make another removal strike.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! I’m starting to learn something here.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always called them choppers, I'm sure they used some of the flakes struck off them but seem made for a purpose. I've got a few but I like the water stain on that one.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice looking material.
I need to know about your avatar pic. Did you put it together? Life was so easy before computers.
I have a ‘29 A Ford pickup that was last licensed in ‘55 and shedded in ‘61. I parked in my building. All I do is look at it, sit in it. Smell the caked on grease. Dream on it. It’s another of my escapes.

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always called them choppers, I'm sure they used some of the flakes struck off them but seem made for a purpose. I've got a few but I like the water stain on that one.

I've been calling it a chopper for years also. This one does not have any water staining on it tho. It was a trash mound dig.

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to know about your avatar pic. Did you put it together? Life was so easy before computers.
I have a ‘29 A Ford pickup that was last licensed in ‘55 and shedded in ‘61. I parked in my building. All I do is look at it, sit in it. Smell the caked on grease. Dream on it. It’s another of my escapes.
My avatar is a 1931 Model A. I did build it. I drive it daily. It has no computer, no sensors, no bs that the new cars are stuck with. You could probably work on any part of the motor without even changing sides ...I built it simple for a reason. It has not left me stranded ever. It has nearly 50,000 miles on it as we speak and has been on the road for 5 years.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn’t take much to get those old rigs going down the road again as long as your not trying to make a show rig out of it.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I could have it running today. I like it as is. Its so good I dont want to misplace anything off it. I mean not even one square nut. When I work on stuff it can look like a small bomb went off and 59 elcamino parts are mingling with a 47 V-12 lincoln parts. I have an unimog thats in all the corners. Mix in stepside pickup quarter pannels JD GP tractor along with IH and horse drawn iron. Half dozen motorcycles and that many 3-4 wheelers. Theres a few boats and campers too. I have big plans for a few vehicles I haven’t heard run yet.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at picture #6 where it's in their hand. That edge that slopes down on the left hand side sure looks like a Adz to me. Just a thought.

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a reasonable thought too Grim!

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I'd get off my duff and post a few of mine off and on. I'll start with this big tool. Personal find many years ago in the Ocklawaha River basin in conjunction with Archaic points and other tools. For the scholars here, I'd like to know your thoughts on this one and what you would call it. Did the best I could and will post many pix trying to get the better shots of the workmanship. View attachment 1875393 View attachment 1875394 View attachment 1875396 View attachment 1875397 View attachment 1875398 View attachment 1875401 View attachment 1875400
With the size and lateral edge lowered way below the centerline, I think it’s a Paleo tool

OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to think that too HP but doesn't that go against conventional thinking on trying to age artifacts? I know in the last 40-50 years some thoughts have changed on the Archaic period as to how far back would be considered early, but other artifacts were found at the same level that most of the informational sites now consider to be middle to late Archaic. I'm no expert at all, but with the type of pottery, some bone tools, and points found in the exact same place, in an undisturbed layer it doesn't seem possible. Thanks for that thought. I just don't know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smallfoot

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, then again, this meg was found in the same layer... 102_1036.JPG 102_1037.JPG 102_1038.JPG

:icon_scratch::dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread