Gorget

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another one from my collection, found in Mid Missouri in the late 1990s. Been years since I have posted it here.

It is 3 3/4 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 5/8 inch

Gorget Back.jpg Gorget Top.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a real beauty find TH, love the toning on it. 1st class artifact, congrats.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! that is one purdy artifact! Most museums don't have stuff of that quality!

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steatite is available in MO? Gary

Gary, not being a geologist or rock hound I could easily be wrong on the type of stone, I always assumed it was soapstone because of the way it carved and looked but I never had it examined by anyone and I have never tried to scratch it, if it isn't soapstone I stand corrected.

I can't even guess how many miles of creeks I walked, has to be in the hundreds over a 20 year period, they were spring fed creeks and streams and evidently had camp sites along them, being spring fed they didn't freeze solidly, my guess due to the amount of artifacts I found in them. One was my favorite as it seemed to produce more than the others. My best day I found 40 whole points after a heavy rain, I waited till the water receded and walk the creek/stream that produce points regularly that day. My hunting partner and I tried to find where the camp sites were a couple times but never did, it was hard due to the heavy brush and we were finding so many in the water we decided we were wasting our time.

The creeks and streams were fairly wide in a lot of places where the banks had fallen in from water erosion, I assume that was were the artifacts came from as the banks collapsed from the rain storms the artifacts fell in and washed down stream till they became stuck in the places I found them. I learned to look behind anything that blocked the flow of the current like behind trees branches, weeds, rocks, even at the bottom of tiny water falls. I found a small waterfall one day where water dropped maybe 18 inches and at the base of it was a hole formed by erosion, I pulled multiple points out of it, it was a feeder creek to a stream and was spring fed. It was in a small creek that I found the largest piece of petrified wood I had ever found.

Most of my areas I hunted were between 10 and 20 miles from Missouri river, and a few were along the Missouri river when I could get permission. I also hunted along the Mississippi river in east St Louis area as I worked in St louis, lived in Columbia Mo so hunts during the week would be in St Louis area. I also hunted areas between St Louis and Columbia, stopping on my way home from St louis.

Petrified Rock.jpg

Beer bottle is for size reference.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been traded or raided...not unusual.

Who knows and I could be wrong on stone type. Site this came from is about 15 miles from Missouri river as the crow flies.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find for sure T.H.! Looks like Steatite examples I have seen but Im no expert. Could also be polished solidified sandstone:dontknow:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story on your creek hunting. As a kid I never thought to look in creeks. When I moved back to Florida I met people & all they did was snorkel springs. I caught on to that real quick. We would love to see more of your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread