My artifact figure > I found as a child

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Ok guys and gals, I have posted this interesting artifact before when I first joined the Tnet Family. Maybe someone has some insight as to what he is and how old. I think that he must have been a trade item to our Indians . He was not broken when found. I broke him years ago when he fell out of my bowl :-\ He is 3 inches tall and still stands along. Possibly made of pottery ?? or a soft stone ?? Thanks for any info > Digs

Attachments

• figure1.jpg
    figure1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 458
  • figure11.jpg
    figure11.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 447
  • figure1.jpg
    figure1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 444
  • figure11.jpg
    figure11.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Not sure what it is, but it sure is interesting.I like the earspools. ;D

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Interesting. First let me put a disclaimer in here that I know nothing about these because we just don't find them up north. That being said I have seen a lot of them sold as lucky charms for farmers or a number of other things... I read somewhere that they would be mass produced using molds and the farmers would put them in their fields to ensure a good crop except those are usually figures holding some maize or a pot... this one looks different. Also, virtually all the ones that I've see were from the deep south.. like Mexico. I've even seen the molds for sale at auction which leads me to believe it would be easy to flood the market with nearly identical fakes but that's another story. Does it have any lines around the edges as though it were pressed in a mold? What type of an area did you find it in? Was it dug, creek find, etc.? Matt R. should be able to tell you more.. and probably throw everything I just told you out the window. LOL!

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have thought it was found further South as well, very rare for your area I expect, but have no clue what it is.

OP
OP
CarolinaDigs

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Thanks guys for the interest. It was found at our Indian camp site . Very close to the river :) Yes it is hard to understand how it got there as I am almost sure it is of Mexican decent ;D It does not look to have been made in a mold :-\ at least to me.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Very cool! I don't have the foggiest idea what it is though.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I can only second what cannonman said, and he done alot better job of it than I could. Is the back of it rough, like it may have been an adorno?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread