indian movies,indian shows.

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Dances With Wolves is a good one. If you can find it, check out "Last of the Dogmen" starring Tom Berringer. It mixes a little fact with fiction. It is a "what if" scenario about a group of Cheyenne who survived by themselves in the wilds of Montana. Very good movie. There was a movie back in the '70s named "A Man Called Horse". It was pretty good from what I remember.

Brian

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
My fave is "Last of the Dogmen"

Here is a list of some movies, seen some, but I don't have specific opinions.

Grey Eagle 1977
Geronimo 1993
Grand Avenue 1996
Grey Owl 1999
Black Robe 1970
Chato's Land 1971 Bronson
Cheyenne Autumn 1964
Cheyenne Warrior 1994
Clearcut 1991
Crazy Horse 1996
Dance Me Outside 1994 Teen themed , Often humorous
Buffalo Bill and his Indians 1976 Paul Newman
I Will Fight No More Forever 1975 Chronicle- Chief Joseph
Last Of His Tribe 1992 True story of Ishi

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I love westerns and watch any that I can!!! However, I despise movies whose sole intent is to romanticize everything about the west in lieu of accuracy. I usually don't watch movies a second time, once is good enough for me. I'm a stickler for details and it drives my wife nuts when watching flicks. I just watched 3:10 to Yuma, it was ok..but it didn't impress me enough to watch again. It was just another western with a romanticized storyline. I also don't care for Lonesome Dove or any of that. I love historical accuracy and cinematography. I love Jeremiah Johnson, little big man and a man called horse. One of my favorite movies is "black robe", if you haven't seen it...you should. It wasn't a huge box office hit and very few people knew about it...but it's a superb movie!!! I recently watched one of the best westerns that I think I've ever seen, due to cinematography and realism. The movie stars Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck, it's called "The Assassination of Jesse James: by the coward Robert Ford". I wasn't expecting much when I watched the movie and it quickly blew me away with details. The sets and scenes were so realistic, it was like being there. It felt like being on the inside of a late 1800's Missouri farmhouse - I loved it. The shooting scenes had realism that most other films lack. I get tired of seeing someone kill everyone with one shot each....that just didn't happen. It's a slow movie and if you're just interested in a blazing guns with endless supplies of ammo and sappy cliches, this flick isn't for you. However, if you're like me and want a bit more out of a movie then you may want to check it out. I will watch this movie again, and that says alot.

OP
OP
dustintimmons_83

dustintimmons_83

Oct 25, 2007
west central illinois
ya I'm the same way Matt,i dont like unrealistic movies either.i saw 3 10 to Yuma it was so so.i was going to get Jessie James today,but it was out.i will check out that other movie you talked about,and let you know what i think. i really wish the history channel or nat geo would have more native American themed shows

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
Let me first apologize because I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I would like to offer up a couple of books for those interested in a realistic look at plains Indian life in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. They are "Conquering Horse" and "Scarlet Plume" by a man named Frederick Manfred. They are works of fiction but the man did a great deal of research before he wrote them. I've read them both a couple of times and I don't particularly like to read. Again, sorry for the side track. Continue. Jim

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'll check out the books Scrounger, appreciate the reference. Lately, I have been listening to alot of audio books on the way to work. It's a great way to pass the time and still get a literary fix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions