Found a triangle point this morning

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I got to go out this morning for about an hour in a newly-turned field. I found an engraver and a couple other tools. Then I looked down and saw this triangle point on top of one of the humps in the field. If it had moved one inch either way, it would have fallen into one of the pockets below out of eyesight. It would have made a good insitu if I had just thought to have brought the camera with me from the car.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Picture 243.jpg
    Picture 243.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Hello there!

That is a keeper. Way to go sometimes you get a
feeling and you know they are there. I am going to guess a Stringtown
lanceolate reworked until edges touched the haft.

Bruce

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
bruce said:
Hello there!

That is a keeper. Way to go sometimes you get a
feeling and you know they are there. I am going to guess a Stringtown
lanceolate reworked until edges touched the haft.

Bruce

Thanks for posting Bruce. You are right. I had thought it was bigger than most triangle points. You can tell where it goes straight from the base for a quarter of an inch and then travels downward to the point. It was reworked from another point. If only it could tell it's story...

Good luck! I hope to hit this field pretty good this weekend when I have more time.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Adena_man said:
I got to go out this morning for about an hour in a newly-turned field. I found an engraver and a couple other tools. Then I looked down and saw this triangle point on top of one of the humps in the field. If it had moved one inch either way, it would have fallen into one of the pockets below out of eyesight. It would have made a good insitu if I had just thought to have brought the camera with me from the car.

Thanks for looking.
HI Brian,
Man thats a pretty little point!I,m not off to a good start at all this year.I,ve been out seven times and walked countless miles.Hardly anyone is plowing anymore.Just discing.These spots have been real good to me in the past.Soybean has taken the place of tobbaco in so many places.I,ve learned today of two placws ,one on the ridge where I found the hardstone last year.But Guess what?I have to have a second operation on that same leg.I hope I can make it up there before the operation.
Jeff

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
I Love triangles! They make me think of the historic age when Europeans first came to America. I know they can be older but what the hell.

Your Triangle seems to have small tail points. I am not sure what they call it else where but this is called a Helgramite in a Pennsylvania, (and adjoining areas). Basically called that because it resembles a baby Hellgrammite here is one of mine with more defined tail points.
Many respects to you and the rest of us Stone Nuts!
~Z~

Attachments

• Hellgramite.JPG
    Hellgramite.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 205
OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
ohioriver hunter said:
Adena_man said:

Thanks for looking.
HI Brian,
Man thats a pretty little point!I,m not off to a good start at all this year.I,ve been out seven times and walked countless miles.Hardly anyone is plowing anymore.Just discing.These spots have been real good to me in the past.Soybean has taken the place of tobbaco in so many places.I,ve learned today of two placws ,one on the ridge where I found the hardstone last year.But Guess what?I have to have a second operation on that same leg.I hope I can make it up there before the operation.
Jeff

Hey Jeff! Sorry to hear about the leg operation. Hit those fields as soon as you can before the operation! Hope everything goes okay. I'm working in the county where my field is tomorrow. Guess where I'm going after work! I hope to find a few. I could tell just how badly out of shape I am when I walked that field for an hour the other day. My legs hurt all over! My feet kept sinking into the air pockets with every step. It was pretty hard to walk. It felt good to be out there again though!

Good luck with those fields and your operation! You'll be back out there just in time for the summer heat!

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
zeawolf said:
I Love triangles! They make me think of the historic age when Europeans first came to America. I know they can be older but what the hell.

Your Triangle seems to have small tail points. I am not sure what they call it else where but this is called a Helgramite in a Pennsylvania, (and adjoining areas). Basically called that because it resembles a baby Hellgrammite here is one of mine with more defined tail points.
Many respects to you and the rest of us Stone Nuts!
~Z~

Thanks for posting Zeawolf! Some guys I work with are getting permission for me in the next county over where a huge buffalo trail came through. They've been finding some really nice points over in that area. I can't wait to walk the fields! My wife actually asked me when I was going to have enough arrowheads in my collection. I said "You've got to be kidding!" I'm going to keep hunting artifacts until the fields are no longer plowed or I can't stand to walk them anymore. I just love looking for "rocks" as she calls them!

Good luck!

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread