All opinions are welcome..

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Hunters, I've posted this mainly to show ppl. This Stone, well I've found it several times and have decided to keep it. Prolly
just a stone but, I like the shape of it, kinda looks like a Bear. The material is way out its area, by the river, I'm thinking it's a type of quarzite. Been as the material is out the area, I was thinking it might have been brought back here and used as a tool, I found it on an Indian campsite, where I found my Axe recently. The nose end looks like its been used rather like they used pecking stones, anyways, just wanted to show ya'll. ANY opinions would be welcomed. :thumbsup:

Molly. Good luck hunting everyone.. :)

Attachments

• Stone.jpg
    Stone.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 300
  • stone2.jpg
    stone2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Looks kinda like a mickey mouse Ice cream bar lol.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rferris75 said:
Looks kinda like a mickey mouse Ice cream bar lol.

Too funny. ;D

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 268
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 253

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it's a natural rock, but it does look just like a Bear and is very cool. It's amazing what Mother Nature can do.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
A friend of mine has a theory and when I see a rock like this from an Indian campsite I tend to agree with him. He contends that Indians are people, too, (DUH!) and because all people are impressed with natural beauty, pretty rocks were picked up by Indians back in the day just as we "modern" people pick up pretty or unusual rocks today. In other words, Indians would pick up and take home a rock that fascinated them, just as you took home this rock. It's quite likely that its shape was appealing to an Indian, just as it is to you (and me). Whether natural or not, you can bet some Indian thought it was cool. :wink:

I agree with that 100% and that is why we find rocks such as the one Molly has on Indian sites. I'm sure they picked fossils and other curiosities as they walked the land just as we all do.

Guys in my opinion are correct. Depending on the context in which it was found can make all the difference in whether not an artifact or not.
Now I know that Molly found this on a definate site, and as she said, the material comes from a distance away....Go figure...not to mention the shape...
Molly, that is a cool find. Just get a feel for it to decide if you want to re bury it or not.....Thats what I done with an effigy I found once...
It was used as a bear effigy...hopefully just a childs plaything..

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
A friend of mine has a theory and when I see a rock like this from an Indian campsite I tend to agree with him. He contends that Indians are people, too, (DUH!) and because all people are impressed with natural beauty, pretty rocks were picked up by Indians back in the day just as we "modern" people pick up pretty or unusual rocks today. In other words, Indians would pick up and take home a rock that fascinated them, just as you took home this rock. It's quite likely that its shape was appealing to an Indian, just as it is to you (and me). Whether natural or not, you can bet some Indian thought it was cool. :wink:

I couldn't agree more, my first theory is.. Prolly picked it up because it looks like a bear, for one of the children. Secondly, I noticed pecking marks on the nose end, could have been used as a tool. Either way, I really think, it was used by Indians, One of lifes little mysteries.. ::)
Thankyou for that interesting thought..
Molly. :D

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 210
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou Steve & Shawn, I'm going to keep it, If I find any more, I'll post them. I appreciate ya'll taking the time to post..
Since finding this Stone & the Axe, I'm checking all rocks now, I never did before, I'm more for pointy rocks. ::) Who knows what I'll find next..

Molly. :)

Attachments

• agar.jpg
    agar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 223
  • agar.jpg
    agar.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 206

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread