Rhyolite preform?

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Had this awhile, thought it was some sort of adz or hoe or something.
Now that I have been here a while I have read about preforms and roughed out hunks that were traded and since I live about an hour from Morrow Mountain and all that sweet Rhyolite...I thought maybe...just maybe...this could be a traded chunk of rock used to make points and tools out of.
Found near Ellerbe, NC along with some points made from the same material.
IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
GL, I am giving only my opinion here. I believe what you have there is a tool. I do not believe that it is unfinished. From what I can gather preforms and flint that were traded were usually of high quality (for example Flintridge, Knife River, Hornstone, obsidian etc). I would say that it could be a quarry blank but, I believe it was a tool....maybe a "chopper" of some sort. Maybe some others will weigh in.
Chuck

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Chuck that preforms were of high grade material, for trading, there is some nice Rhyolite, speckled,banded,that could have been traded but, I doubt very much that the rough, Rhyolite, like that, would have been. I mean why trade rough rock when they had beautiful material like Quartz,Chalcedony & Flint. It doesn't look much like a tool either, I see no signs of workmanship.
It could have been a blank, ready to make blades/knives out of though, I've found over 30 knives/blades made from simlar Rhyolite..Also on my campsite, I never find spalls of the rough Rholite, but do the higher quality. This sudjests the rougher tools were knapped at the foot of the mountain & the better quality Rhyolite took home in chunks/preforms?

You see the Indians travelled to Morrow Mt, camped there a few days, got there Blades/knives knapped, returning to there families. Its been proven, they found numberous amounts of spalls(rough Rhyolite) at the foot of the mountain, on temp campsites, I mean look at it this way, Rhyolite is heavy, its obviously easier to carry tools back, than large chunks of rock..
What's the difference? you might ask, well think of the debrie wasted while knapping, knapping the blades/knives, ensured them they had so many blades/knives ready to use.
This rough Rhyolite doesn't produce usable flakes, after knapping, unlike the higher grade Rhyolite does.
Hope this is helpful...

Molly. :) btw this is just my opinion.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Molly's right, that's a rough bi-face that wasn't completed. I can also tell you why it wasn't completed. That material didn't go the way they wanted it to. It's not only rough in texture, but there are hidden faults in the material. Look at the second picture, at the upper left hand side of the preform. See the deep flake termination there? It's a deep diving flake that actually traveled further into the bi-face than where it terminated and the preform most likely would have broken there if the knapper continued. Either that, or he would have lost alot of the material trying to straighten it up. Another flaw is the dark streak running up the middle of it, that would be an inclusion in the material that the knapper perhaps couldn't clear easily. If you examine it closely, I'm sure you'll find more flaws like those . Natives weren't ignorant and they wouldn't spend all day whacking on some rough rock in a futile effort to make a point, when they knew they could find better. This is especially common in places with high quantities of rock (good or bad). As molly pointed out, you don't take back to camp big heavy rocks that "could" work, you would bring back smaller, lighter, reduced bi-faces that you were more certain of. Alot of people like to think they are all "cache blades" or just "crude tools", but it's usually not the case. Look around the Edwards Plateau in Texas, Boone formations, Burlington quarries, Glass Buttes, etc, etc. You will see TONS of these bifaces in various stages of reduction everywhere.

It essence, that piece was most likely a test piece of rock that they discarded, after finding out that it's...well...crap. One of the largest misconceptions that collectors have, is the assumption that everything with flakes taken from it is a completed tool, or what the native intended. I think EVERYONE should try their hand at quarrying and knapping stone, it's one of the best educational tools there is. If anyone wishes to further their knowledge on the points themselves, it's pretty necessary. It's quite the undertaking, but also very fulfilling.

Hope this helps, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
But it's still big and purty.
I noticed the big squared off cuts in it too. I also tried knapping a flint flake I found and it ain't easy.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
GL said:
But it's still big and purty.
I noticed the big squared off cuts in it too. I also tried knapping a flint flake I found and it ain't easy.

Yup GL, it's still big n' purdy...and sure enough is a genuine Native American made artifact! Knapping takes alot of patience and dedication. Most people will stop trying when they realize just how hard it is, as it's not something that you pick up over-night. It takes a boatload of material and a whole lotta band-aids to become accomplished at it. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread