England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Milnesand.jpg
    Milnesand.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
Molly, your prolly right about Milnesand. Thats a nice lookin critter there, and a Most excellent photograph. I wish I could take a pic like that!
I mean, you captured the flaking, color, everything it looks like. I can almost see the extent of the grinding. ::)

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shawn, turned out just like I planned ;D It is a sweet point, nearly as sweet as me ::) LOL.

Molly.

djduk00

Jun 7, 2005
I think not a Midland Point I have 1 and they are usually very thin so cannot be fluted. But that is a Paleo type congrats.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure on the type and won't even hazard a guess, but I will say that is a very nice point. Did you find that Molly?

Great point, great picture. Thanks for the look.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Steve, we don't have that type in NC. It was a gift, one that I will treasure forever. ::)

Molly. :)

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Very nice point, awesome photograghy! Are you positive the basel corners are dinged? From the photo I would say the base was made that way on the corners.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
Nice point, but I don't think it's Agate. It looks more like a heat treated Perdenales (sp?) or a heat treated Comanche County flint. Both are creamy white to dark brown with all colors in between, and when you heat treat them they turn orange to red with all shades in between.

Your Texas Georgetown cherts turn from gray to purple and pink hughs when heat treated. Texas has some really good stuff that rivals only KY Hornstone in my opinion.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio_Doug said:
Very nice point, awesome photograghy! Are you positive the basel corners are dinged? From the photo I would say the base was made that way on the corners.

Doug, I'm not 100% sure, I'll get it under the mag-glass tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. I should have done that already.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
luckyinkentucky said:
Nice point, but I don't think it's Agate. It looks more like a heat treated Perdenales (sp?) or a heat treated Comanche County flint. Both are creamy white to dark brown with all colors in between, and when you heat treat them they turn orange to red with all shades in between.

Your Texas Georgetown cherts turn from gray to purple and pink hughs when heat treated. Texas has some really good stuff that rivals only KY Hornstone in my opinion.

Interesting thought Lucky, I thought the Paleo didn't heat treat materials. I would have said the material was Novaculite, but apparently this wasn't heated until Archaic times. So I'm presuming its a type of Agate. I'm on a mission to find out, I'll let you know..

Thanks for your comments guys.

Molly.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after much deliberation & chatting to experts, it turns out this point is not a Midland or Milnesand. Its believed that it started off a larger lanceolate, its been reworked & was broken too. So its impossible to put a name to it. It could have started out as a plainview, but we'll never know for sure. One thing though it's safe to say it's a transitional point. So I'll be calling it as I see it, a Lanceolate-Transitional period.

Thanks for your comments everyone, much appreciated.

Molly. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread