Axes anyone

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look like natural stones to me. I can't see any evidence of them ever being worked on by man or used to as an Axe.

These are Axes.

Attachments

• Pics-379.jpg
    Pics-379.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 460
  • Pics-386.jpg
    Pics-386.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 454
  • Pics-379.jpg
    Pics-379.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 433
  • Pics-386.jpg
    Pics-386.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
K

Kneedeep

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008
As was indicated in the original post, only one appears to have been hafted; the small dark one at the bottom, the other 3 are hand axes. As you may know many varieties of axes were made depending on the need, many were not hafted as these examples demonstrate.

Also I failed to state that due to the location of there find it is very likely these tools were used for breaking open oyster shells, scraping and digging and not for cutting down trees or other task that required a handle to be on the end of it.

Contrary to your assertion that no marks exits to indicate they have been worked, it would be much clearer if you were able to hold the items in your hand and feel the notches for the thumb and forefinger as well as to see the angles that each of the stones had been ground to. Picture are not always the best evidence to base a conclusion on.
:thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I failed to state that due to the location of there find it is very likely these tools were used for breaking open oyster shells, scraping and digging and not for cutting down trees or other task that required a handle to be on the end of it.

Then they are not Axes in the true sense of the word. They are either Hammerstones or stone tools used for crushing.

OP
OP
K

Kneedeep

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008
Good stuff is a relative term.

I've heard it said, "It is sometimres hard to see the light when have a bag or two or three over your head". :thumbsup:

A

archaeon

those stones have no apparent edge for cutting. if they were hand axes as you say, there would be some sort of edge modification. those are stones that are the rough shape of modern axes, your mistake is not unusual for the "wishful thinkig" artifact hunter.

OP
OP
K

Kneedeep

Greenie
Feb 29, 2008
A Large (tree) cutter we found this summer.

Attachments

• big blade post.jpg
    big blade post.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 324
A

archaeon

in my opinion that is not a "tree cutter" or axe, it was the rough shape of a preform but it is hard to tell the size since the numbers are't that visible on the ruler...i am guessing that it is a 12 inch ruler...if it is 12 inches, then that thing is huge and MIGHT be a rough, rough preform, but definitely not an axe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a 6" ruler

A

archaeon

in that case, it does look like a rough preform, but i see no solid, identifiable edgework

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread