Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Thanks, JimB - Interesting articles. I've always planned to make an try one so maybe this will give me a push.

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Nice sites....I like the idea of a banner being a silencer too.
"The true function of the atlatl weight is to force an atlatl
to flex and store more energy to be released against the
stored energy of a dart's flex".The other article mentions
people using the atlatl when hunting today! That would be
neat to take the biggest buck with one! This gets me thinking!

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
I'm going to be a 'Doubting Thomas' once again, and state my opinion. Please hear me out, and hear what I have to say. I don't think a bannerstone was used as a atl-atl weight, and I will state my reasons.

First, why aren't they found ANYWHERE. Ninety - nine percent of bannerstones were found in burials with only 2% of them being found since modern anti-burial digging laws have taken effect. That leaves 98% of them being found in the early 1900 to late 1980's. Where were those found? In burials. The other 2% were found in close proximity to a burial site or what once was a burial site.

Second, if bannerstones were used as an atl-atl weight, and were the common thing to own by Pre-historic man .... why haven't we found more of them? If you do the math you will see that there were an average of 2 million people. Now ... out of that 2 million let's be conservative and say that 40% of the population were males of hunting age since the average Native American died in the 'Prime of his life' at the age of 35. Wouldn't you think that out of 800,000 males of hunting age AT ONE GIVEN TIME assuming all used atl-atls, we would be literally overrun with bannerstones? That's not taking into account that we are probably talking about a number closer to 10's of MILLIONs of bannerstones if you take into account the thousands of years that ancient man implemented them. They would be as common as most point types in any given area.

My next point would be .... why are they only found on 2 or 3 burials where 10 or 20 other males are buried with hunting implements? Since William Webb discovered the bannerstone with a burial in the late 1930's he stated in one report that it was his "THEORY" that bannerstones were atl-atl weights. Little do people know that the FACT of the report stated that this was also a CHIEFTAIN, and NO OTHERS were found on the entire site! Ever since he made that statement people have gone haywire over atl-atl weights being associated with bannerstones. I do not believe this to be the case, and is a common case of misconception.

My belief is that they were bannerstones used to dress the leader of a clan or tribe. The head of the tribe or clan used them as a 'family crest' of sorts to identify himself with his people. If I need to I can point out a few other archaeological theories that have been discounted through the years to prove my point, but I think you all understand where I am now coming from. :thumbsup:

Edit: I had to rephrase my typo. I originally state "early to late 1980's. I edited to reflect how I originally wanted to phrase it to say "early 1900 to late 1980s".

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
luckyinkentucky said:
I'm going to be a 'Doubting Thomas' once again, and state my opinion. Please hear me out, and hear what I have to say. I don't think a bannerstone was used as a atl-atl weight, and I will state my reasons.

First, why aren't they found ANYWHERE. Ninety - nine percent of bannerstones were found in burials with only 2% of them being found since modern anti-burial digging laws have taken effect. That leaves 98% of them being found in the early to late 1980's. Where were those found? In burials. The other 2% were found in close proximity to a burial site or what once was a burial site.

Second, if bannerstones were used as an atl-atl weight, and were the common thing to own by Pre-historic man .... why haven't we found more of them? If you do the math you will see that there were an average of 2 million people. Now ... out of that 2 million let's be conservative and say that 40% of the population were males of hunting age since the average Native American died in the 'Prime of his life' at the age of 35. Wouldn't you think that out of 800,000 males of hunting age AT ONE GIVEN TIME assuming all used atl-atls, we would be literally overrun with bannerstones? That's not taking into account that we are probably talking about a number closer to 10's of MILLIONs of bannerstones if you take into account the thousands of years that ancient man implemented them. They would be as common as most point types in any given area.

My next point would be .... why are they only found on 2 or 3 burials where 10 or 20 other males are buried with hunting implements? Since William Webb discovered the bannerstone with a burial in the late 1930's he stated in one report that it was his "THEORY" that bannerstones were atl-atl weights. Little do people know that the FACT of the report stated that this was also a CHIEFTAIN, and NO OTHERS were found on the entire site! Ever since he made that statement people have gone haywire over atl-atl weights being associated with bannerstones. I do not believe this to be the case, and is a common case of misconception.

My belief is that they were bannerstones used to dress the leader of a clan or tribe. The head of the tribe or clan used them as a 'family crest' of sorts to identify himself with his people. If I need to I can point out a few other archaeological theories that have been discounted through the years to prove my point, but I think you all understand where I am now coming from. :thumbsup:

I AGREE 100%

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
j brown said:
Whatever they are, they're pretty common to find here in my local river area in north central Ohio. Walking plowed farm fields, I've found 20 (only 2 unbroken) of the type with the appoximately, half inch diameter drilled hole, 14 of the 20 being the fragile winged type.
It seems like the symetrical shaped ones, like the winged style would work well as cordage spindal weights.

You've found 20 bannerstones?
Let's see them! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread