Interesting take on Oak Island Treasure

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading about this treasure back in 1987 in Time Life magazine along with Atocha. Great story to read when I was a kid. Just seems the deeper you dig the more treacherous it becomes and fills up with water.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
blackbeard1717 said:
I remember reading about this treasure back in 1987 in Time Life magazine along with Atocha. Great story to read when I was a kid. Just seems the deeper you dig the more treacherous it becomes and fills up with water.

I had that issue for years! Probably what was what gave me the Bug

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee; I'm fairly certain that Oak Island was dug out for a powder magazine by the British, a goverment job if you will. It was set up so that in case it fell to the enemy hands,( France), it could be flooded to destroy the Black powder. There were several compartments dug into the bed rock ,so if one exploaded, it wouldn't blow up the whole thing. Modern powder magazines are done the same way. A treasure would not require seperate compartments in bed rock. Anyway who ever did it; it must have been paid for by tax payers, no one else could aford to have done it. I think it hast to be a "G" job. Only some admiral behind a desk could have dreamed up such a thing. Tod R.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me but where did they get the 4 tons of Coconut Fibers that where carbon dated to be from the 1300's. The fibers where found in the Money Pit and in Smith Cove in the 1960's and the Knights Templars had plenty of Coconut Fibers on their ships for packing. Then why did the British fill in the 90' hole when done with it :icon_scratch:? Who ever filled the hole in had a reason to hide the fact it was dug. It would take a long time to fill it back in after the power magazine was removed . There is no proof of flood tunnels or compartments in the Money Pit :dontknow:. I could see digging a 20 ' or 30' hole to hide the powder but to go 90' and below the sea leavel was stupid if they wanted to keep it dry.
I think the Templar Treasure was put in the pit and it filled up most of the hole . Treasure was in each of the 10' room's with 10' of dirt at the top. A Viking ship could hold 25 tons of cargo and thats why they dug the hole 90' deep. This is just my part of what I think happen :notworthy:

Last edited:

Tod Ringam

Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FinderKeeper, first off I have to say I don't know anything. A treasure hunter from Boston sent me info. that discribed seperate compartments at the bottom "dug" out in bed rock. I think this is true, I've got it some where. Anyway it occured to me that this was a powder magazine because of the seperate compartments. I thought there were 3 flood tunnels, am I wrong? Isn't that why the first shaft
flooded? The British Navy could bring the coconut fibers. You've got me on the carbon dateing. My thinking is, the flood tunnels were
dug in case it fell into enemy hands. You are right it could flood acidently and ruin the black powder; that's the crazyness of the whole project and I expect it was never used for that reason. Why fill it in? Maybe to save face----------I filled in a mine shaft, it goes fast.
Like I say, I realy don't know but, it strikes me as a typical goverment boondoggle. Tod R.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your story could be right , who's to say. Everyone has their thoughts on this. They looked for tunnels but never found them and how would anyone be able to dig them back then. There are cracks in the bedrock and when you get below sea leavel the water comes in. The hole was dug and the timber, coconut fibers and charco were found at 90' down above sea leavel . Anything found later was placed there by diggers to get investers to keep digging. There is nothing there. They spent millions and had every kind of detecting equipment on site yet they think its there:dontknow:. I have a site on main land and we plan to have it dug up this spring to see if any thing is there. I may be wrong but I am not looking for treasure on Oak Island. We plan to drill for Gold and Tantalite after we dig at our site.

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
Apparently there has been so many holes dug that they don't even know which one is the original any more....If there was something there surely someone would have found it by now.....you'd think:icon_scratch:

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all i can say is that whoever did it could not have been a pirate because they needed engineering skills and i dont think pirates had that

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people are willing to spend millions of dollars on this then why would this not work? Drill deep over lapping holes round the entire circumference of the original hole. Fill them with cement and you will have a dam to stop the water. Might not work but just a thought.

ex nihilo

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Money Pit main shaft could have been dug and then branched out with separate tunnels, like the Swiss bank theory, where separate stashes could be stored. These could sweep slightly upward (for drainange). To get the separate stashes out, the owners could dig straight down through virgin soil directly over top of the stashes.

As for who would engineer the Pit, good question. Someone organized, but not pirates. At least, not the normal ilk of pirates for the day (1700s).

Trollfish

Feb 4, 2013
South East Indiana
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oak Island and the Money Pit. After all the reading and research I have done, I have come to the conclusion that whomever coined the phrase the money pit got something right for a change. In 3000 years, they will dig the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and after multiple deaths from cave ins and drowning, the people will be sure it held great treasure and will spend gazillions to find it.

I don't know what the hole on Oak Island was, but I sure know what it is, a waste of time and money. No one buries treasure so far and so deep that even they can't get to it. Not realistic in my book. I feel the best of the best treasures are hidden in plain sight and completely misunderstood by the commoner staring at it.

example.....3 dollar bowl sells for millions.

Even the tombs of the Emperor’s and Pharaohs were found and accessible. And that was top notch hiding skills for the time period.

In my humble opinion of course.

ex nihilo

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So maybe just a deep hole with nothing of value? Who would dig it and why? It was a lot of work for a hoax.

Any thoughts?

ex nihilo

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, someone dug it pre-1795 and setup the logs at ten-foot intervals. If they hid something, what was it? Or maybe they did hide something and got it already, maybe even before it was found by those boys in 1795. Maybe one of those flood tunnels was a backdoor in and the treasure was lifted out through that way.

Which still leaves, what was there?

If it's gone, I guess that's something we can't know now.

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think with todays ground penetrating technology that something be seen or found

ex nihilo

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BINGO, blackbeard1717. I'm sure the technology is out there. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread