Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree451Likes

Thread: History Channel - Oak Island mini series January 5, 2014

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    1922 times
    G'd evening Ladies & gentlemen, coffee or grog? He presents a fascinating case, but unfortunately it has a few critical flaws.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha
    Last edited by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp; Jan 04, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

Mar 2013
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would love to believe there is still treasure there...

I'll definitely watch the series!
    Rediscovered! Last Assault on Oak Island Room of Fire

us
    Apr 2007
    Clearfield Pa.
    GPL , 2 box & more
    48 times
    I just saw the TV show and I like it. Its good to see someone doing work on Oak Island after all these years. I hope they do find something to prove who built the Money Pit. Good Job. Good Luck.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    '72 RS Kit/Musketeer Advantage with 8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se with 11" DD & 6.5" concentric coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe/Black Widows/Rattler/F-Point/Merlin SXL Pinpointers
    536 times
    Metal Detecting
    So far they've just been vacuum dredging and videoing the modern "Bore Hole 10-X" instead of the pit proper 180 feet away. Guess they have to stretch out the not finding of anything over many episodes.
    Don Griffith likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    229 times
    Do you believe McGinnis or not?

Logic check: if his story as is told today is factual, and I buried something there (regardless of the depth), why the heck would I leave rigging above the dig site after I was finished filling it in? I may have well left instructions and put a big X on the ground while I was at it. If his story is incorrect, the whole thing falls apart. Take your pick, but remember that the digging started because of McGinnis, and the scenario that he presented is illogical.

If I have decided to dig some enormous hole to bury something (and left what was essentially a giant arrow directly above it to help out anyone who happened to pass by in finding it), why would I bury helpful indicators every ten feet or so to remind them that they're indeed digging in the right place? Why leave stones with weird carvings on them? What possible purpose could that serve? And why is it that every time someone sinks a hole in that general area, they come up with some amazing "discovery" that proves nothing (and indeed can't be proved), but hints at new wonders further down?

This story serves as another good example of a lack of critical thinking. Here we have some poor island with so many holes in it, I'm surprised that it hasn't sunk by now. Nobody has found anything and no one even knows where the original hole was anymore, but we've already come up with stories about what's down there and how it got there. How about we wait until something is produced (if ever) and then figure out how it ended up in that hole?

I look at this and I see one giant red flag stretching back literally centuries, all the way to the beginning. The original story didn't make sense, and things make less sense now. (Actually it all makes perfect sense to the geologists, but few seem interested in what they're saying. I'll bet that a psychiatrist would have something to say about all of this too.)

As for these guys...hey, it's their money. I don't see how there's anything to find down there but I wish them luck in it regardless, and I sincerely hope that no one gets hurt in the process. This is one of those cases where I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for that to happen.

This legend is very aptly named, but in a strictly ironic sense.
    Last edited by Dave Rishar; Jan 06, 2014 at 04:18 AM.

Jun 2012
    129 times
    The OAK ISLAND treasure was recovered by FDR and their investors. The International Peace Center was built and all the Templar Treasures of OAK ISLAND is now up there. OAK stands for Order of America Knights-------

Mar 2013
    6 times
    I kind of wanted to see more history in "Curse" but they might be stretching out that to the other episodes. Having the video go off at the pivotal moment was contrived (guess that's the reality part of the show). Good to see the Blankenships are so alive and kicking.

Although I must say, seeing that diving son of one of the brothers and all the face-time he got...is he to be #7 in the Curse?

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
    Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
    477 times
    I doubt their file loss had anything to do with reality, if there even was a file loss, and everything to do with the fact is simply didn't show much that would appeal to a TV audience. Any competent data acquisition person would have backed everything up anyway!

I will give this show a few more episodes, but not holding my breath.
    ex nihilo likes this.

Mar 2013
    6 times
    Yeah, viewers and ratings first... Funny, old treasure hunters digging that pit used to do the same thing, always "finding" a small piece of evidence right when their backers were getting nervous.

Charter Member

Sep 2013
    Downtown Chicago
    Garrett Ace 150, My Whip, AT Pro, SeaHunter Mark II
    207 times
    Metal Detecting
    The whole forcing air down there to see if anything comes up seems like a terrible idea. Wouldn't they be damaging the entire dig? Also, since there are known side tunnels, wouldn't water and possible artifacts be forced down those as well to a possibly unreachable area?

I suppose the while site has been messed with so much it may not matter, but still seems like this would only make things worse.

Please let me know if I'm off base.

Mar 2013
    6 times
    I personally don't think you're off base thinking this measure is extreme. Ever use a bathroom plunger with a severely clogged pipe anywhere in the house? Yup, you get water forced up out of every drain (or at least some chugging). With the way the water came shooting out of the hose into the dumpster reservoir, I can't see much non-metal surviving. Certainly not a piece of parchment the size of a pea.

And I think putting a mesh net on the discharge hose dumping into Smith's Cove would be a basic idea. No sense letting something valuable go flushing out into the Atlantic.

Yeah, it works, but I don't think such an indelicate method would be a first choice.
    HenryWaltonJonesJr likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    656 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I missed ( slept through ) the episode , looked on demand?? Couldn't find it. My wife watched it and liked it! Anyone know when it will air again?

us
    May 2012
    Colorado
    Garrett ACE 250
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flyadive View Post
    I missed ( slept through ) the episode , looked on demand?? Couldn't find it. My wife watched it and liked it! Anyone know when it will air again?
    It's on again on Sunday. It's on at 4 my time (Colorado)

Mar 2013
    6 times
    Hey, Ripper1313, I see we fly the same flag. Didn't know anyone else had it here. It's actually my pc wallpaper.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1187 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I watched the episode and like it for the most part. Like most of the other "reality" shows, they can't resist "Hollywooding" it up. It would be nice if they'd lay out all the facts and play it straight for a change. I guess they figure it would be too boring that way. I too think it highly unlikely that anyone was able to bury something that deep over 200 years ago. We have a hard time doing that today with all our modern machinery and technology! I say, get in there with a bunch of pumps and some backhoes and see what's down there. Seems to me it would be cheaper than the way they're doing it.
    HenryWaltonJonesJr likes this.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors