wonder if this has been tried?

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4588017/

LiDAR could provide the ultimate blueprint for what once was on oak island, the surrounding islands, and mainland. Works in the densest jungles and apparently picks up remnants of agricultural society in the forest of New England. Wouldn't that be something to see the subtle clues which could only be distinguished from above.

Anyone know if this has been attempted?

OP
OP
J

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to state that I'm a skeptic of the "vast treasure" outlook for oak island. However, I do feel it was the site of something to be explored further. Maybe an early exploration which had great aspirations but failed? A shipwreck which was fully salvaged? A point of distraction for someone on the run, or, hiding something? A hoax? Who knows. Maybe utilizing this technology could expose a scenario not previously considered?

Its probably not cheap so more money down the pit would be keeping with lore.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hio junkless, coffee? Lidar has been used successfully in various places, but I don't believe that much penetrating of foliage is necessary on Oak Island, in fact excellent maps exist on it from the time of the original discovery. (Land surveying .

Good thinking my friend, I like it.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Good idea, but I'd bet that it wouldn't turn anything up. I could certainly be wrong about that though.

As Junkless noted, this wouldn't be cheap. An unfortunate trend among those interested in the Money Pit with cash to spare is to simply spend it on digging more holes, rather than attempting to figure out where those holes should be, or whether any holes should be dug at all. I suppose that it's easier on both the hunter and the investor this way, though.

I'm not sure that there's anything on the other island. There certainly doesn't seem to be much on the island that started the whole thing, and if THAT island had no treasure, why would any of the others have some? At that point it's simply a shot in the dark, wild speculation - nothing more. A person may as well just pick a spot on the map at random and look for treasure there.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I never understood about Oak Island, was that if some one went to all that trouble to hide something, why didn't they get rid of the limb with the rope/pulley marks that led the first diggers to the site?

Seems odd, unless they were so sure that it couldn't be dug......still, why broadcast the fact that something was buried there?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Haven, perhaps simply because it is effectively impossible wth the tech in those days to actually hide a hole of that dimension. After the first rains or so, the disturubed filler at the surface would simply compact and leave depression. This was a great problem for hiding loot or whatever, so many resorted to using dry arroyos of corrals, areas of heavy traffic, to hide the evidence.

Sooooo why bother with the tackle as such ??

I agree, I personaly would have removed it

Coffee my friend??

Don Jose de La Mancha

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
What I never understood about Oak Island, was that if some one went to all that trouble to hide something, why didn't they get rid of the limb with the rope/pulley marks that led the first diggers to the site?

Seems odd, unless they were so sure that it couldn't be dug......still, why broadcast the fact that something was buried there?

This is what's known as critical thinking. If more people practiced it, the world would be a much better place. (It would also have a lot less holes in it.) You have my compliments.

Gold Haven, perhaps simply because it is effectively impossible wth the tech in those days to actually hide a hole of that dimension. After the first rains or so, the disturubed filler at the surface would simply compact and leave depression. This was a great problem for hiding loot or whatever, so many resorted to using dry arroyos of corrals, areas of heavy traffic, to hide the evidence.

A depression may be anything, or nothing. I will not live long enough to excavate every depression that I've come across during my wanderings. If one of them had rigging gear above it, though...well, I might just try to dig that.

Had they dug a smaller hole, the job would have been done more quickly and they wouldn't have had to worry about problems like this. Of course, had it been a smaller hole, anything at the bottom of it would have been found by now.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning Dave, coffee ? A hole big enough for a man to stand in and work below say 6 ft ,would leave a notable depression, now a block and tackle above could have been utilized to "Remove" some thing such as a large rock, treasure, etc which would normally leave a depression, so if you saw such a combination by itself with no story, why would you dig??
However I agree with you my friend - more coffee?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think as many people that have worked this site, the "treasure" could have easily been found long ago.

Sadly, due to the greed of governments, most of the best treasure finds are kept quiet.

The coconut fibers don't impress me, especially from a 15 inch excavation.:dontknow:

Salty_Sam

Feb 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, there are so many sources when it comes to the money pit. I was just reading somewhere that there has been so much digging through the years that the original hole is indistinguishable from the others that were done. Is this have any truth to it. I'm sorry if this is an idiotic question. I'm new to this and I'm having trouble finding actual facts. If there is a site out there with all the information I'm looking for please relay it to me. Thanks.

Leila

Jan 12, 2014
Southern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, there are so many sources when it comes to the money pit. I was just reading somewhere that there has been so much digging through the years that the original hole is indistinguishable from the others that were done. Is this have any truth to it. I'm sorry if this is an idiotic question. I'm new to this and I'm having trouble finding actual facts. If there is a site out there with all the information I'm looking for please relay it to me. Thanks.

It's my understanding that sometime in the late 1900s the original money pit collapsed in on itself. The site of the original pit is known and marked by a chain-link fence surrounding it to prevent curious people from getting hurt. I've seen pictures showing the site.

Other searchers have excavated close to the original site. I believe one of the excavations, called 10X, is close to the original site and is the only excavation that is deeper than the original money pit prior to it's collapse.

I'm looking forward to tonight's final episode of The Curse of Oak Island anticipating that whatever Marty and Rick have found will either answer some questions regarding what is or was there, or provide a new clue that will point to a definite course of action.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread