Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of that info is available, you can look it up.

I did, why did you ignore my post?

In case you are wondering about the fibers thing...

Has the recent folly, other than looking at fibers and claiming it is coconut as some sort of proof of a buried treasure, ever tested to see what it is, or carbon dated it?

One should be aware that a sample needs to be at least 25 years old for the carbon dating to be relevant. How old would a coconut fiber be, seems like less than a year old??

Historical FACT: samples of the fiber were sent to 3 different places, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, United States Department of Agriculture, and the Botanical Museum of Harvard University...

ALL identified the fibers as Manila Hemp NOT coconut.....

you can look it up..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, those are "depositors of" : logs, boards, artifacts, and stones.

But the depositors that I'M speaking of, is: Depositors of treasure.

Because "stones", "logs", "artifacts", and "boards" ... are to be found anywhere on earth. Why do these in-particular ones have to be indicative of a treasure ?

What Treasure are "You" inferring to?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did, why did you ignore my post?

In case you are wondering about the fibers thing...

Has the recent folly, other than looking at fibers and claiming it is coconut as some sort of proof of a buried treasure, ever tested to see what it is, or carbon dated it?

One should be aware that a sample needs to be at least 25 years old for the carbon dating to be relevant. How old would a coconut fiber be, seems like less than a year old??

Historical FACT: samples of the fiber were sent to 3 different places, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, United States Department of Agriculture, and the Botanical Museum of Harvard University...

ALL identified the fibers as Manila Hemp NOT coconut.....

you can look it up..

The coconut fibres I refer to are dated at near 700 years old (is that old enough to be tested?)and you are quite wrong, not all the fibres were identified as hemp. Where did you look it up?

Cheers, Loki

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for this Newspaper Article...Welcome To The Show!

This is my first view of this discussion and will read its entirety one of these days. But for now I wanted to share this newspaper article about Oak Island from ...

[ The San Francisco Examiner ~ March 27, 1898 ]

( After opening the attachment, be sure and enlarge it with the + option to read )

View attachment 1676899

Interesting Post starting at #205 about views of Cap't Kidd!

Captain William Kidd.jpg

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coconut fibres I refer to are dated at near 700 years old (is that old enough to be tested?)and you are quite wrong, not all the fibres were identified as hemp. Where did you look it up?

You cannot date an object that is less than 25 years old. Carbon 14 dating of an object relies on the intake from the atmosphere while the object is living. Coconuts are probably less than a year old when processed. The items soaked in seawater will retain the calcium carbonate from the seawater, negating the carbon count.
Please read up on carbon dating techniques.

I reviewed the responses from the 3 sources that identified the fibers. (in the post) All were hemp, not a single source identified it as coconut. The simple fact that you would not have a bay full of coconut fiber, but a bay full of hemp grass is easily comprehended.

What of these 3 institutes the 'fibers' were sent for actual determination?
Harvard Letter

Dalhousie University,

Blair letter

Smithsonian Reply

Just so you are aware, hemp is native to the Americas.

I also note, that ALL of the Beta Analytic testing calls the material "fibers'. Not a single one calls it coconut fibers.

Have there been any modern attempts to identify the fibers? The TV debaucle spends hundreds of thousands on shoring, yet doesnt test items found?

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You cannot date an object that is less than 25 years old. Carbon 14 dating of an object relies on the intake from the atmosphere while the object is living. Coconuts are probably less than a year old when processed. The items soaked in seawater will retain the calcium carbonate from the seawater, negating the carbon count.
Please read up on carbon dating techniques.

I reviewed the responses from the 3 sources that identified the fibers. (in the post) All were hemp, not a single source identified it as coconut. The simple fact that you would not have a bay full of coconut fiber, but a bay full of hemp grass is easily comprehended.
Historical FACT: samples of the fiber were sent to 3 different places, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, United States Department of Agriculture, and the Botanical Museum of Harvard University... What of these 3 institutes the 'fibers' were sent for actual determination? ALL state it is Manilla Hemp....

Harvard Letter

Dalhousie University,

Blair letter

Just so you are aware, hemp is native to the Americas.

I also note, that ALL of the Beta Analytic testing calls the material "fibers'. Not a single one calls it coconut fibers.

Have there been any modern attempts to identify the fibers? The TV debaucle spends hundreds of thousands on shoring, yet doesnt test items found?

Did you actually read the letters you posted? Perhaps you should read the Blair letter again! There is also one other later report that identifies it as coconut fibre. And you can't completely dismiss the Lagina's own experts identification, although I'm sure you will. Oh, and btw, only one of your three letters describes the material as 'hemp'.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Blair letter is based on verbal information from 'someone' the Smithsonian in 1919, (did you notice the extensive search of employees to try to figure out if that the person named even worked there? Which btw, said it could have been there for hundreds of years, not 1000.
Subsequent letters to the Smithsonian reveal no evidence of any such study. (ooooh, a mystery???)

Blair just wanted to discount the Harvard and other studies that definitively shows it is hemp and/or eel grass, because they need cocoanut fibre to continue the investors. They even questioned how tons of coconut fiber would be possible in Smith Cove.

Where is a Lagina identification?

The taphonomic data and studies show that coconuts are found along the East Coast of the US, all the way to Norway. Far from conclusive evidence if coconuts are found on Oak Island.

Again, you cannot date an object that was not alive for at least 25 years, known fact.

So lets get this straight.

Someone went to great lengths, digging deep tunnels and traps to flood a chamber.

Engineering that would be very difficult, even in modern times...

But....

left a ships block and tackle in a tree above the shaft?
Left markers at intervals that state treasure is below.
and artefacts strewn all over the place??????

The Knights Templar?
The Masons? (why would Masons help find a treasure when they were guarding a secret?)

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Blair letter is based on verbal information from 'someone' the Smithsonian in 1919, (did you notice the extensive search of employees to try to figure out if that the person named even worked there? Which btw, said it could have been there for hundreds of years, not 1000.
Subsequent letters to the Smithsonian reveal no evidence of any such study. (ooooh, a mystery???)

Blair just wanted to discount the Harvard and other studies that definitively shows it is hemp and/or eel grass, because they need cocoanut fibre to continue the investors. They even questioned how tons of coconut fiber would be possible in Smith Cove.

Where is a Lagina identification?

The taphonomic data and studies show that coconuts are found along the East Coast of the US, all the way to Norway. Far from conclusive evidence if coconuts are found on Oak Island.

Again, you cannot date an object that was not alive for at least 25 years, known fact.

So lets get this straight.

Someone went to great lengths, digging deep tunnels and traps to flood a chamber.

Engineering that would be very difficult, even in modern times...

But....

left a ships block and tackle in a tree above the shaft?
Left markers at intervals that state treasure is below.
and artefacts strewn all over the place??????

The Knights Templar?
The Masons? (why would Masons help find a treasure when they were guarding a secret?)

None of that is the point. You had written that you had three different studies that showed the material in question in each case was hemp and not coconut fibre. You said none of the three even mentioned coconut fibre. but, in fact one says it is coconut fibre as identified by the Smithsonian, one eel grass and one hemp. I also have a much later letter which also mentions the Smithsonian identification.

Cheers, Loki

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not submit all 3 letters on the identification.

There is no evidence, other than verbal, from the Smithsonian. Notice that the Smithsonian did not have a record of said individual working there?

Just like all of the carbon dating submittals, asking to date coconut fibre. That is not evidence that they submitted coconut fiber. One cannot dismiss the simple fact that an item needs to be living at least 25 years to absorb enough carbon from the atmosphere to date it, not that seawater affects the dating process.

You cannot keep repeating something and have it become fact.

Why are you ignoring the other facts?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... the extensive search of employees to try to figure out if that the person named even worked there? ....Subsequent letters to the Smithsonian reveal no evidence of any such study. (ooooh, a mystery)....

Which is no doubt an extensive conspiratorial cover-up. To scrub his name and the study from past employment records. No doubt the Masons orchestrated this coverup. Hence: Even the Smithsonian is on the action !

.... Someone went to great lengths, digging deep tunnels and traps to flood a chamber. Engineering that would be very difficult, even in modern times...

Hey, they built the pyramids of Egypt , didn't they ? Cornish miners historically dug tunnels that deep, right ?

.... Left markers at intervals that state treasure is below.
and artefacts strewn all over the place ....

Well yes. Of course. This is how ALL good treasure legends (Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc...) are done : You go to great lengths to hide something. Presumably so that no one else can "find" it. Right ? Then what do you do next ? You riddle the place with markers, clues, cryptograms, ciphers, etc....! Of course ! So that no one can find the thing you just hid! Makes perfect sense to me too. :hello:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did not submit all 3 letters on the identification.

There is no evidence, other than verbal, from the Smithsonian. Notice that the Smithsonian did not have a record of said individual working there?

Just like all of the carbon dating submittals, asking to date coconut fibre. That is not evidence that they submitted coconut fiber. One cannot dismiss the simple fact that an item needs to be living at least 25 years to absorb enough carbon from the atmosphere to date it, not that seawater affects the dating process.

You cannot keep repeating something and have it become fact.

Why are you ignoring the other facts?

Because I don't care about most of the other facts. I am not interested in a treasure on Oak Island, my only point is that a few Knights Templar visited Nova Scotia and maybe Oak Island in 1308. Coconut fibre dated to slightly before the 14th century would be good evidence of that voyage! I think the drilled rocks and a few other items found on Oak Island may also point in that direction.

Cheers, Loki

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not interested in a treasure on Oak Island, my only point is that a few Knights Templar visited Nova Scotia and maybe Oak Island in 1308. Coconut fibre dated to slightly before the 14th century would be good evidence of that voyage!

Europeans had coconuts in 1300 ??? You know where coconuts come from, right? When they got to Europe? The first known instance is recorded by the Portuguese in 1521. Quite a gap there. One can differentiate, by a DNA sample of the coconut. Dating coconut fiber, a bit a a stretch, denying fact.

ummm..have you studied history?

Between 1275 and 1300, there was a mini-ice age. The ice would likely have prevented passage during this timeframe. Are you suggesting they walked?

Of all the places, they stopped at Oak Island?

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Europeans had coconuts in 1300 ??? You know where coconuts come from, right? When they got to Europe? The first known instance is recorded by the Portuguese in 1521. Quite a gap there. One can differentiate, by a DNA sample of the coconut. Dating coconut fiber, a bit a a stretch, denying fact.

ummm..have you studied history?

Between 1275 and 1300, there was a mini-ice age. The ice would likely have prevented passage during this timeframe. Are you suggesting they walked?

Of all the places, they stopped at Oak Island?

Wow, you are all over the place. Do you really think the Mini Ice Age froze the North Atlantic over? And for your information, coconut fibre was readily available in the Eastern Mediterranean in 1300, and another quick history lesson for you. The Knights Templar were based in the Eastern Mediterranean in 1300!

Cheers, Loki

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, you are all over the place.
You said a mouthful... the whole thread is all over the Nutty place ...or don`t you
notice !
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread