Oak Island Treasure found in 1913

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty did say he'd like to have the cross tested during the episode. It's not up to him to make that happen other then be willing to pay for it. The Family may not be willing to let it out of their site... I don't recall during that episode the ladies saying they still had any other items from the chest.. Did say there "were" other items in the chest when found but thought they said the only thing left was the cross.. The Brother now need to be finding relatives of the other original boys to talk to them... and I would think they are or the show is behind the scenes trying to locate them and sure wish someone could find the Restall's youngest son or atleast find out if he is still alive.. He'd be in his 60's now...
I am pretty sure if they offered her $50,000 to have it tested and an additional $50,000 if it proves to be more than 500 years old the sisters would agree. This would be chump change compared to the money they are spending digging the holes.

They are the ones that brought the cross and the descendants story up. They even brought it up again the recent episode.

The other things are referenced in the Blockhouse article. This guy seems to have no trouble contacting the family and getting them to tell the story.

I personally believe that the Laginas do not want to investigate this story as it makes the rest of what they are doing a waste of time if true.

Unless they are going to finish the series with more on this story... ie Was the treasure taken they day it was found? as there final question and leave it hanging...

I do not think they can do another series unless something significant can be found in the final few episodes.

What is left to do?.....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of spots left on the island to explore better. Swamp for one. they need to dredge it some and go from there, the hatch or whatever it was called they found earlier this season, I'm sure there are others..

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally believe that the Laginas do not want to investigate this story as it makes the rest of what they are doing a waste of time if true......

Perhaps, but I think they would most definitely want to have it tested, but not have the results published, cause if any treasure has already been removed, who would buy their (near) worthless OI lots off of them ?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am on the fence about the cross. No real proof of its origin but a few posters seem to have antique jewelry experience and feel it is not as old as they think. Can only go by the sisters story.
The Lag Bros have a ton to lose if the story is true cause then the treasure has already been recovered and they are just dumping money down the money pit. If anything did exist and the 3 boys/men got it years ago then all the all the stories were just icing on the cake to get more investor money.
I will watch to the end to see what happens as I kinda like this tale.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that happens on the island there are stories/myths/tall tells that can go along with it for both side of believers or non believers...
If the Cross is old enough to fit the time frame there is still the theory that it wasn't the main treasure, or why did one of the guys come back years later with another company to help dig for it.
If it is found to not be old enough well then the treasure is still there...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the Cross is old enough to fit the time frame there is still the theory that it wasn't the main treasure, or why did one of the guys come back years later with another company to help dig for it.

Good thought here but if you found treasure back in the 1700's wouldn't you keep it a secret? I for sure would. So why not try to get other back to help grow the story, take the heat off yourself and enjoy what you found without prying eyes?

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I think Vaughan came back more to use his stature as one of the original finders to give credence to the investors to keep investing...Paid well of course by the company doing the search. His presence at least gives the illusion that it 'must be true' or why would he be there...which relates to gathering more dollars from investors.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if any of the 3 were ever remotely well off as we hear about Samuel Ball may have been.. or maybe what the boys found wasn't enough to make them well off so yes then he ( Vaughan ) may have needed the money but what were the other guys doing at the time. Also your assuming he was paid well, no one knows for sure what he was paid.. I doubt it was "well" but maybe "nice" compared to the average job of the day.. This is the type of info that would be nice to know.. Was he the only one of the 3 boys that lived near by at that time? Keep in mind back then there was no power or road access to the island. Not a fun job being there even if all your doing is standing around..

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was he the only one of the 3 boys that lived near by at that time?

It's been reported that at least Vaughn and McInnis owned land on the Island at or around the time that they were supposed to have found the treasure. I'm not sure about the third "boy".

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming "well" for what he was doing...above average wages, maybe based on investors his presence attracted, a percentage perhaps...OR not...

I don't really do much research into any of them, so can't say, I am more interested in what the known, found, constructions in Smith's Cove are than the 'story' of the Money Pit...

I did notice though recently that Samuel Ball, according to at least some records, didn't arrive on the island until 1808 and that was the same time period of another treasure company searching...He had a flourishing business in cabbage and cattle, so that may be all of the treasure he ever found.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO it should have been obvious if they were well off. Yet no one ever says they were, unlike S. Ball regardless of how he got his money he was thought of, as well off apparently.. I may be wrong, has happened a few times over the years, I just don't see any company coming in with their money or investor money and be willing to pay someone "well" to just stand around. I could see them paying him alittle and then giving him a percentage of some sort if anything is found...All the other workers were either day workers or part of the "company" probably being paid very little in addition to having their living expenses paid for while there and maybe get a small percentage as well of any found treasure. I just don't think people back then and even now for the most part pay people alot of money ( without a TV show ) to go searching in addition to covering all costs along the way. Sure Private Eyes are paid well but they only make out well because of the work flow. Not getting rich off one mad wife....

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if any of the 3 were ever remotely well off as we hear about Samuel Ball may have been.. ..
The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium On the trail of Oak Island's Lieutenant Daniel Vaughan. This article surgests this family got enough wealth to start the own ship building company....

From these apparently prosaic beginnings, Daniel Vaughn and his family started a ship-building business in St. Martins. Daniel’s son David Vaughn launched their first ship in 1803, the "Rachel",*and other ships quickly followed. The Vaughns built ships, and they sailed and traded very successfully. At the peak of their success, the Vaughn business had offices in seven ports around the world — including New York, Seattle and Liverpool. And the question that I can’t answer is: Where did the Vaughns get the money to start a ship-building industry?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he might have come into some money. Makes you wonder why he messed around back helping someone look for treasure if he already had the money and or had a shipping business to run and was already well off. Still leaves the other 2 guys, any info like this on them... Unless now someone thinks Vaughn sneaked back to the island without the other 2 and found ALL the treasure...

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that article on being shipbuilders earlier and a couple of things stuck out to me..

First, if his son launched the first ship in 1803....how old was Daniel when he, as one of the 3 'boys' found the Money Pit?

He owned a lot on Oak Island when it was found, where did his money come from to buy or develop it? Did he already have 'money' to begin with?

From 1795 to 1803 for the first ship is quite a bit of time, how was he making a living, if at all, up until then?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he did or him and the other 2 maybe he sat on it for a bit and then realized he couldn't live forever off it so better use it to help himself and his family for the future. Either way he held on to his treasure for a long time before starting the ship business, unless he found it way later then most would think.. Maybe the other 2 guy blew thru their findings.. The Vaughn's owned land there in the 1770's

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he might have come into some money..... Still leaves the other 2 guys, any info like this on them...

* *So, there you have it.* Two of the original families have stories of treasure having been in their possession.* What of the Smith family?* Circumstantial evidence regarding the Smith family shows us that after 1795, John Smith went on to buy up most of Oak Island, all of nearby Frog Island, part of Birch Island, and partnered with the McGinnis family to buy Long Island.* Not bad for a poor farmer and “failed” treasure hunter.

The Blockhouse Blog - The Oak Island Compendium Gold, legends, and old maps: the story of an Oak Island family's treasure

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as one of the 3 'boys' found the Money Pit?
I believe that they were young men not boys from the reports I have read. Still 3 'boys' is pretty easy to explain ie my wifes friends was over the other day and she said. The "boys" are out playing golf.. Not one was under 50 :laughing7:..... Boys does not necessarily mean young...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that they were young men not boys from the reports I have read. Still 3 'boys' is pretty easy to explain ie my wifes friends was over the other day and she said. The "boys" are out playing golf.. Not one was under 50 :laughing7:..... Boys does not necessarily mean young...

I will join you and the boys for some golf any day. Love golfing. Might even find Lost Templar treasure in a bunker... One day in a bunker with my trusty SW I did find an old piece of parchment with what looked like Beacon or Bacon on it... Hmmm, makes one wonder.

With all the vague stories and missing and added tid bits you can't really scrutinize any of the details as the stories vary from read to read.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that article on being shipbuilders earlier and a couple of things stuck out to me..

First, if his son launched the first ship in 1803....how old was Daniel when he, as one of the 3 'boys' found the Money Pit?

He owned a lot on Oak Island when it was found, where did his money come from to buy or develop it? Did he already have 'money' to begin with?

From 1795 to 1803 for the first ship is quite a bit of time, how was he making a living, if at all, up until then?

Yeah, you bring up a good point. Even if Vaughn was 22 in 1795, I can't imagine his boy being more than 10 years old when he supposedly launched his shipping business in 1803. Perhaps the already rich Vaughn family found some small treasure on the island in the 1790's and formed a partnership with another company to explore further in 1803. There's no way he was a hired hand in 1803, the same year his son is launching a shipping business. The whole 3 boys finding the pit is probably something either made up or based on hearsay 40 years later when the first article was written.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread