Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 407
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Oak Island: Was something even there.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #166

    Mar 2015
    376
    365 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "Was hunting there a documented activity"

    Nahhh...they all ran over to Mc D's to grab a bite.....

    You miss the point entirely...and that is that there could be many, many, reasons for the start of this story, that have not one thing to do with treasure. So the onus is not on a collective 'us' to provide a fact it is there, but those that make the claim it is...word of mouth is not good enough, a passed down story with nothing to back it up is not good enough, an object with no clear lineage to the island or time period that can be proven is not good enough...and then any and all of that has to relate to treasure, not just everyday common goods that could be there for a variety of reasons.

    So what do you have as a fact that is 100%, logical, and backed up with real proof? Not even the cross looked right to me when shown, so I researched it a bit online and said so on here that I could find nothing in the time period or before in question, that was made the same with the same methods it would take to make the one shown. 2 other members here with a collective experience in the 75 year range or so of dealing in and the knowledge of how jewelry, crucifixes, etc. were made in antiquity also said it was not from the proposed time, but more recent...Yet the woman says it has been verified as 600 (later she said 500, so pick which one you want)...but she offers no proof of that verification, just she says so.

    Not good enough....and not logical to think so from the git go..

    So the only facts we have is that there are no facts for the start of this story..so how can you ask anyone to provide any?
    Last edited by Roadhse2; Jan 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

  2. #167
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    6,483
    6993 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    I understand that, but at some point, we should accept what is logical. Is it logical for a boy of thirteen to make-up a treasure story? Is it logical that he saw something and acted on it? If the attitude that nothing is factual because it is in a periodical or document, then I can discount most of history.
    What about the timbers at various levels and the coconut fibers?

  3. #168
    ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    352
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS View Post
    What about the timbers at various levels ...
    That 'fact' has change through the year. When it was first reported it was only claimed that there were a few platforms near the top, with "markings" at ten foot intervals. The story then evolved into there being platforms at ten foot intervals. No verification of any platforms at all have been found.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

  4. #169
    ECS
    ECS is offline
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ocala,Florida
    6,483
    6993 times
    Treasurehunting & Historical research
    ...and the coconut fibers?

  5. #170
    us
    Aug 2011
    344
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhse2 View Post
    "Was hunting there a documented activity"

    Nahhh...they all ran over to Mc D's to grab a bite.....

    You miss the point entirely...and that is that there could be many, many, reasons for the start of this story, that have not one thing to do with treasure. So the onus is not on a collective 'us' to provide a fact it is there, but those that make the claim it is...word of mouth is not good enough, a passed down story with nothing to back it up is not good enough, an object with no clear lineage to the island or time period that can be proven is not good enough...and then any and all of that has to relate to treasure, not just everyday common goods that could be there for a variety of reasons.

    So what do you have as a fact that is 100%, logical, and backed up with real proof? Not even the cross looked right to me when shown, so I researched it a bit online and said so on here that I could find nothing in the time period or before in question, that was made the same with the same methods it would take to make the one shown. 2 other members here with a collective experience in the 75 year range or so of dealing in and the knowledge of how jewelry, crucifixes, etc. were made in antiquity also said it was not from the proposed time, but more recent...Yet the woman says it has been verified as 600 (later she said 500, so pick which one you want)...but she offers no proof of that verification, just she says so.

    Not good enough....and not logical to think so from the git go..
    You are right. There could be many reasons. However, what is documented? The story.

    There is documented proof that there is a story, that someone named Daniel Mcginnis claimed to find a depression in the ground and so on. It is the story we are supposed to be looking at here. The story is established. If it is true or not is what we are trying to debate. Saying the story is established or if it is true, are two different things.

    In our history books, it is established that the Egyptians built the pyramids. If it is true can't really be proven.

    Make sense?

  6. #171
    Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    8,297
    6455 times
    Metal Detecting
    Coir floats and was used to stuff lifejackets and WWII convoy "solid" life rafts (see image). Canvas rotted away, fibers washed up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7906.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1400835

    600 ships went down in the Atlantic to submarine action off the US & Canada eastern coasts. Lots of fibers to be floating around.

    Supposedly the fibers were tested by Woods Hole. But someone "produced" the fibers for them to test. They were not collected by Woods Hole staff, nor were they sealed to prevent contamination.

    Carbon-14 dating doesn't work for sea-life because it is based on atmospheric respiration as well as what they feed on. Stuff in the water is exposed to different ions and isotopes.

    Note the explanation about half-way down the linked entry below of why seaweed causes false readings for animals that have consumed them. It makes things appear older than they are by many hundreds of years - even living animal samples.

    This effect is not uniform — the average effect is about 440 years, but there are local deviations of several hundred years for areas that are geographically close to each other. The effect also applies to marine organisms such as shells, and marine mammals such as whales and seals, which have radiocarbon ages that appear to be hundreds of years old.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Jan 11, 2017 at 11:34 AM.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

  7. #172
    ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    352
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS View Post
    ...and the coconut fibers?
    Coconut fibers were found and were dated to approx. 1100AD by the Woods Hole Institute. They also stated that there were a number of factors that could have influenced the dating (weather, salt water, etc...). It should also be noted that the sample of coconut fiber that was tested was handed to Woods Hole by the landowner, so there was no way for Woods Hole to verify provenance.
    Charlie P. (NY) likes this.

  8. #173

    Mar 2015
    376
    365 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "claimed to find a depression in the ground and so on"

    And there you are...that is a 'claimed' fact....by him, then dug...by him....and only upheld and verified by him and his buds...maybe they were digging a well and they all jokingly mentioned.."This is just like digging for treasure" or "Hope we find some treasure"...and a legend was born. Who hasn't said the same when out digging for a footing or garden or whatever?

    Then while at McD's for lunch someone asked them what they were up to today and said "Out digging for treasure" and there you go....
    Last edited by Roadhse2; Jan 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

  9. #174
    us
    Aug 2011
    344
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Raparee View Post
    That 'fact' has change through the year. When it was first reported it was only claimed that there were a few platforms near the top, with "markings" at ten foot intervals. The story then evolved into there being platforms at ten foot intervals. No verification of any platforms at all have been found.
    Please site your evidence showing the discrepancy in the stories.

  10. #175
    ca
    Jan 2015
    LÚvis, Quebec
    Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
    111
    114 times
    Beaches, military, relics
    The beginning of the story is truth,but he,s just supposing from three kids they figure they buried something...I'm not sure pirate were such motivated worker and engineer who made fancy channel who filled up with water..People digging for artesian well dig deeper until water is found and generally works.The story got bigger than the reality. They had use that three to hang something heavy just to fix it.. In the Province beside NB they found a jar with in a cavern with arrows and axes, after many years the story was that they found a treasure, a jar full of gold coins..

  11. #176
    us
    Aug 2011
    344
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhse2 View Post
    "claimed to find a depression in the ground and so on"

    And there you are...that is a 'claimed' fact....by him, then dug...by him....and only upheld and verified by him and his buds...maybe they were digging a well and they all jokingly mentioned.."This is just like digging for treasure" or "Hope we find some treasure"...and a legend was born. Who hasn't said the same when out digging for a footing or garden or whatever?

    Then while at McD's for lunch someone asked them what they were up to today and said "Out digging for treasure" and there you go....
    Never mind. I don't think you understand what I mean.

  12. #177

    Mar 2015
    376
    365 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The platform stuff is pretty common as known to be added onto by later searchers...and yes there are sites that claim this, that most of us have read, those that have done what research is available..

    If you expect everyone to give a link to every scrap of what has been claimed...

    Well...to be honest...I'm not playing...way to much time for what is generally accepted by the majority in this whole story...

    So you guys have fun...Later!

  13. #178
    ca
    Feb 2016
    Nova Scotia
    352
    302 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    Please site your evidence showing the discrepancy in the stories.
    Top Ten Money Pit Myths

    I'm waiting for source documentation from Joltes.
    Roadhse2 likes this.

  14. #179
    us
    Aug 2011
    344
    332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadhse2 View Post
    The platform stuff is pretty common as known to be added onto by later searchers...and yes there are sites that claim this, that most of us have read, those that have done what research is available..

    If you expect everyone to give a link to every scrap of what has been claimed...

    Well...to be honest...I'm not playing...way to much time for what is generally accepted by the majority in this whole story...

    So you guys have fun...Later!
    I understand and thanks for your input.

  15. #180

    Mar 2015
    376
    365 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    "Never mind. I don't think you understand what I mean."

    There's the problem....I DO understand what you mean....but that is also the problem...from day 1 it has all been hearsay with no documentation, just stories.....so no way to give you documentation that doesn't exist that you want

 

 
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 22, 2015, 02:47 PM
  2. Norman Island (BVI) is Treasure Island
    By 1750treasure in forum Shipwrecks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Dec 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
  3. Block Island, Rhode Island
    By Glenn-RI in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Sep 11, 2007, 10:28 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 18, 2007, 08:24 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 04, 2006, 10:58 AM

Search tags for this page

box drain oak island

,

did they find the oak island treasure

,

oak island box drain

,

smith cove box drains

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0