Oak Island, what would you do?

Dbuck

Greenie
Jan 1, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
I am a fairly new member here. I have been doing a lot of reading on here. I'm impressed with the passion and intelligence of the members on the site. I have been interested in the Oak Island mystery for many years. I have researched, read all the books available, and spent time on the forums on the subject. I have been watching the History Channel show as well. I know like most shows it is designed to get viewers and ratings, but it at least gives me an update on what is being done on the island. I have noticed that many here are not impressed with what the Lagina brothers are doing. I personally feel they are doing as well as they can with their resources and the environmental rules they must follow. I would love to see a significant find, or at least evidence to show what happened on the island once and for all. If you had control of things as the Lagina brothers currently do, how would you go about solving this mystery? I am most interested in specifics about your plan of action. Assuming you had lots of time to spend and you had 100k? What about 500k or 1 million or more to devote to the project? Thank you for your opinions?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Dbuck - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would cut my losses.

Give me a million to search there, and I would vanish, just like that treasure did years ago.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I would soak the network for as much as I could and try to secure product endorcements for my favorite beer before the show is canceled and I go back to a life of obscurity.

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd turn it into a golf course. (You would have to add some along the mainland I don't think we could get maybe 4-5 holes on there and maybe a par 3 to Apple island. We could name the holes after the famous areas..."Nolans Cross" par 4 dogleg left. "The Swamp" a par 3 over whatever is in that thing...and of course the deadly "Money Pit" a deadly par five over a waste area of rocks and boreholes... Watch out you don't 3 putt and be yet another sole to lose his money in the dreaded Money Pit!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truly, if I was the Lagina Brothers, I would hire a geologist and an archaeologist. Real, professional ones. Then I would throw the TV crew off the island and set about serious work. They probably spend more time on retakes and set/lighting position adjustents than actual research or site analysis.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go out midsummer...lounge chair and good book, sit on the beach at the cove, enjoy the breeze and views, get a tan...

Spend the rest on beer on the way home...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I'd go and swing a coil in a park somewhere. I've done better in every park that I've metal detected than any treasure hunting expedition to Oak Island has ever done - even in the ones that have been beaten to death.

Makes you think.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... how would you go about solving this mystery?...

This assumes there is a "mystery". Who said ? There was and is nothing there, so.... there is no mystery.

..... Assuming you had lots of time to spend and you had 100k? What about 500k or 1 million or more to devote to the project? .....

If I had $100k, or $500k, or $1m, I would retire and not spend a penny on such foolishness as that. I would chase stories that aren't riddled with more plausible explanations, and have an ounce of credibility.

Welcome to T'net .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
No you have not dug deep enough..... The treasure is 20 foot deeper

That brought me a chuckle. Because although you meant that in jest, that's exactly the mental trap that people fall into. It's never that a treasure "isn't most certainly there", it's always that it's deeper, or a little to the left, or a little to the right, etc.... ? But at no point is it ever not most certainly there.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's true as well.

Personally, if someone said "here's a million dollars, what will you do at Oak Island?"

My answer would be wave as I trolled past in my pleasure fishing boat with $750,000 in the bank to live on for a while.

Ranger-Tugs-R-27-03.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's true as well.

Personally, if someone said "here's a million dollars, what will you do at Oak Island?"

My answer would be wave as I trolled past in my pleasure fishing boat with $750,000 in the bank to live on for a while.

View attachment 1400438

Ah but see, that's where you're being foolish. Because most certainly by recovering the treasure vault, you could turn that $1,000,000 into multiple times that ! You just don't recognize a good investment when you see one. You're as bad as the people who could have bought Apple stock in the mid 1970s, and instead invested in 8-track players ! Tsk tsk.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"invested in 8-track players ! Tsk tsk."

Hey wait a minute....I invested in a 8 track player that has paid off pretty well...Didn't buy any Apple stock tho..

My factory 8 track just happens to have a one owner 67 Mustang convertible wrapped around it...still works and was a hell of a buy...

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do wonder..

If the Laginas will be net winners or net losers out of this (assuming they do not find the 'allusive' treasure)

They probably spent quite a bit of there own money before the sponsors kicked in. I doubt much of there money is being spent now. I would guess they are seeing a hefty profit now based on the ratings.

The price they paid for oak Island is not going to fall significantly you would think. It might have increased in value with all the publicity.

It may be Laginas have already found the treasure - TV ratings :occasion18: They may already be celebrating.... Or it will finish with "they ran out of funds and gave up":crybaby2:.... as has happened to ('almost'?) everyone else

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They didn't do it for the money. Both are well off and 1 of them is VERY well off. Regulations keep them and you from doing what they'd/you would really like to do on the island. If you could just clear cut and excavate everywhere, that is the only way to completely answer everyones questions/theory. Other then that, I like the idea of pumping the holes they have now dry ( if possible ) and going down in them to see what you see. Freeze the ground and do some digging from there. Again if that is possible..

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
I would throw the actual TV crew off the island, hire another TV crew to make the Naked and Alone show and keep the narrator.

"Naked people on Oak Island ? Is this the proof of ..."
8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread