Money Pit

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking of the structure of the money pit, with its different platform levels and the box drain system and all of that.

Have there been other similar structures discovered elsewhere in the world?

Or did one guy/crew just think this up independently, try it once and then never again, with no one else ever copying them?

It sort of feels like maybe someone in the crew would pass along the design or maybe it had been used commonly or previously or something

Thanks a million

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We're not even sure someone tried it once, let alone multiple times.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup the English have a tone of Hydraulic designs for a pit that removes water from a lake or swamp......there are drawings online that have been posted here as well.

Nothing new...

..just nothing you or I would ever need to build sort of thing, so it seems out of the ordinary but served its purpose to drain the swamp to repair pirated vessels during the affairs of David Ingram's days in the late 1500s, while he and his 100 men were camped "60 Miles West Of Cape Breton"....on Oak Island....Pirating Spanish Vessels that traveled the safe routes back to port.....

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that no evidence has ever been presented that there were log platforms placed at 10 foot levels in a hole anywhere on oak island. That tale is part of the 200 year hoax...

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering why they went to all the expense of putting in the coffer dam in Smith's cove and then dug down within 5' from the dam and then give up because if they dug the hole any deeper, the dam would collapse? Why not use ground penetrating radar to look for the supposed structure?

Montclaire

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup the English have a tone of Hydraulic designs for a pit that removes water from a lake or swamp......there are drawings online that have been posted here as well.

Nothing new...

..just nothing you or I would ever need to build sort of thing, so it seems out of the ordinary but served its purpose to drain the swamp to repair pirated vessels during the affairs of David Ingram's days in the late 1500s, while he and his 100 men were camped "60 Miles West Of Cape Breton"....on Oak Island....Pirating Spanish Vessels that traveled the safe routes back to port.....

Now that is a convincing theory - a dry dock.

OP
OP
bigtimedeal

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know enough about pirates - why would they sink a ship in the swamp instead of sailing it, selling it, using it for parts, etc? If nothing else it could be good cover to fool other Spanish ships from a distance, then when it is too late they could raise the jolly roger and so on, arr

Or would they sink it with a full cargo of gold and riches?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread