Oak Island Engraved "Tag"

TxFroggy

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2014
Boerne, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone been able to do an enhancement of the tag? I don't have the software to do this, there is a lot of debate over what is might say. I'd like to hear your opinions. What kind of tag...rifle, pistol, or dog tag? Dated around 1730 Engraved tag.jpg

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Welcome to Tnet. I can try to bring it up for a close up. Give me a minute.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like ---Bad -- _ _ days :dontknow:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is broken in half, and was possibly a tag on a trunk, or box.
The word on top looks like Ball. All I can make out of the partial bottom word is; mad(??)s.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Samuel Ball's...Rifle Buttplate... Samuel Ball 42nd Grenadiers

Has anyone been able to do an enhancement of the tag? I don't have the software to do this, there is a lot of debate over what is might say. I'd like to hear your opinions. What kind of tag...rifle, pistol, or dog tag? Dated around 1730 View attachment 1423377

I believe the inscription was for a Rifle Buttplate made out to:

Samuel Ball
42nd Grenadiers

Samuel Ball was presumed born in 1764 so if this was his Buttplate it would have had to been issue sometime after 1730's

When Samuel Ball returned with many of the American Loyalist in 1787 to Nova Scotia at this time he may have became a member of the Grenadier Guard.

Samuel Ball would have been issued a Flint Lock with his name and company.

Grenadier Guard Nova Scotia
42nd (1783-1789)

"Muster rolls were, in a military sense, a register or list of all the men in a company, troop, or regiment, accountable and present on the day of gathering for review, by which they were paid and the strength of the army was known. Henry Edward Fox (1755-1811) was a British army officer, and younger brother of British politician Charles James Fox (1749-1806). He entered the military in 1770 as a cornet in the 1st Dragoon Guards; and was promoted and involved in the American Revolution in the regiments of the 38th, 49th and 2nd battalion of the Grenadiers, reaching the rank of brigadier (1782), and in 1783, colonel in the army and aide-de-camp to the King. Fox was commander of the forces in Nova Scotia, arriving in July 1783. Edward Winslow that year became his secretary."

Samuel Ball
Background

"Samuel Ball is mentioned in the History of Lunenburg County (First Edition) as being one of the persons who McGinnis fetched after discovering the circular depression1. Samuel is one of the more interesting characters associated with the island.

Here is the story of a black slave from South Carolina, born in about 1764, and who escaped slavery by joining the King's Army under General Clinton2. We know from an 1808 Petition for Oak Island's lot 32, that he fought under a Major Ward as a wood cutter at Bergen Point New Jersey, in efforts to supply New York with firewood. Samuel Ball came to Shelburne Nova Scotia in 1783 and remained there for 2 years. There are many S. Ball listed in the Book of Negros for Shelburne and Birchtown.

You can further read on Samuel and his friends in the book shown to the left. Our Samuel Ball is specifically mentioned on page 385.
Further reading can be found here Black Loyalists in Nova Scotia

In understanding Samuel Ball and how he fits into the island's history, one must know how he finished. The Will of Samuel Ball, shown at right, gives clear indication that he owned a substantial area of land and goes to show he had some success at creating a life in Nova Scotia. Property deeds show that at the time of his death, he possessed Oak Island lots 6, 7, 8, 24, 25, 26, 30, 31, and 32.

We also read he employed a servant named Isaac Butler, a Negro who arrived in Nova Scotia after 1812 and speaks to Ball's weath to afford a servant.

During the time he was acquiring his Oak Island properties, they were the most expensive acre for acre lots in all of Lunenburg County as recorded in the County Book of Deeds.

Samuel first deed dates to 22 September 1787 for the sum of 8 pounds money. Comparing this cost against mainland property shows he could have easily acquired 100 acres or more on the mainland.

Why would he be willing to spend so much money for an Oak Island lot, or did he? One strange fact identified in Ball's early deeds are for them to have been registered almost 20 years after the date of purchase.

One valid question after examining these deeds and spotting the irregularities is to ask, was Samuel Ball bribed with property? If so, then why?

The other obvious question would be to ask if Ball may have received a cut from anything of value which may have been found. This is a central theme which fits a pattern of wealth for several families connected to the island during the late 1780s.

1846. Will of Samuel Ball, Oak Island, Book 1, pg.37, Dated 1 Oct. 1841,

Probated 5 Jan. 1846, wit. John Barkhouse Sr., James Brewer, George Keddy
and John Zwicker, Gold River.

Executors Rev. Joseph Dimock, Anthony Vaughan and wife Catherine.

After funeral expenses etc.

I Give my wife, Catherine, the furniture, wearing apparel and all Real and Personal Estate during her life. First, situated and lying between lands owned by John Berghaus and Daniel Mc Innis containing about 100 acres; also an Island called Hook Island containing 3 acres, all my farm at Oak Island containing ?? acres more or less. All Cultivated Land during her life and then to Mrs. Best until her decease.

(admin note: this was the son of Daniel McGinnis of discovery),

Grandson, Simeon, to have the half of the 100 acre lot between John Barkhouse and Daniel Mc Innis the Ploughed Land, house and barn from John Mc Innis's line. (admin note: this was the son of Daniel McGinnis of discovery),

I give all my real estate and personal estate, the half of the 100 acre lot to my servant Isaac Butler, if he takes the name Ball, if he dies without male issue it is to go to friend Henry Joudrey's son, Alexander William, and if he dies without male issue to Isaac Parsons' son. None shall possess same unless they take the name Ball.

Mrs. Elizabeth Best to be comfortably maintained during her life, and if she should survive his wife she is to have control of house and farm during her life.

If grandson dies without male issue the land results to Isaac Butler. After decease of wife and Mrs Best, the Executors to give cattle to the amount of ? 15 to the Bible Society. "
The executor of Ball's will was Rev. Joseph Dimock

His Excellency Sir George Prevost

The memorial of Samuel Ball, a black man - Humbly sheweth

That your memorialist was born in South Carolina, and after the war took place in America that your memorialist joined the Kings troops in that part of the country then under the command of Lord Cornwallis and soon after came to New york with General Clinton, when he was ordered to join Major Ward, who commanded the refugees at bergan Point in the woods where he continued to serve till the end of the war; when he came to Shelburne and remained there two years, when he left that place, and he came to Chester, where he has resided twenty three years.

Your memorialist has no lands but, but that he has purchased, never having got any from government, and as there is a four acre lott vacant, No. 32 on Oak Island, joining a lot purchased by your memorialist.

Your memorialist therefore prays your Excellency will be pleased to grant, or otherwise order him to have said lott, - your memorialist has only one son living.

Chester 8th September 1809

This day, the above named Samuel Ball came before me, and made oath on the holy Evangelist that what is said in the above memorial is strictly true, which I verify to be so.

I do hereby further certify that I have known said Ball, above twenty years, and I believe he is an honest, sober and industrious settler, and worthy of encouragement.

Thos. Thompson, Jus? Peace"

At left is Ball's 1809 request for lot 32 of Oak Island, joining a lot (31) which he already owned. From his memorial, we can read of Ball's early history prior to Chester and can deduce he arrived in the area in 1786.

In his first deed he is noted as a "labourer", thus he was employed at this occupation for about 1 year. We can tell in his second deed that he identifies himself as a farmer.

The information after 'Chester 8th September 1809', is an administrative note by Thomas Thompson, Justice of the Peace.

Samuel is identified in the Poll Tax of 1791, 1793, 1794, and 1795 as being a resident of Oak Island. Here is an extract of the Chester Township Records showing his marriage, birth, and death records.

Marriages

Samuel Ball, and Mary (could also have been Maria) ______ were Legally joind in Marriage on the twenty Seventh day of April, one thousand, Seven hundred and Ninety Seven. Recorded December 4th, 1806. Ebr. Fitch, Town Clerk.

Births

Andrew Ball, Son of Samuel, and Mary Ball, was born in Chester on the thirteenth day of August, one thousand, Seven hundred and Ninety Eight. Recorded December 4th, 1806. Ebr. Fitch, T.C.

Samuel Ball, Son of Samuel, and Mary Ball, was Born in Chester on the third day of January, one thousand Eight hundred and one. Recorded December 4th, 1806. Ebenezer Fitch, Town Clerk.

Mary Ball, Daughter of Samuel, and Mary Ball, was born in Chester on the Second day of December, one thousand, Eight hundred and five. Recorded December 4th, 1806. Ebenezer Fitch, Town Clerk.

Deaths

Samuel Ball, Son of Samuel, and Mary Ball, departed this Life on the tenth day of September, one thousand, Eight hundred and three. Recorded December 4th, 1806. Ebr. Fitch.

Mary Ball, Daughter of Samuel, and Mary Ball, departed this Life on the fourth day of February, one thousand, Eight hundred and four. Recorded December 4th, 1806. Ebr. Fitch, Town Clerk.

There are no further records in the Chester books for when his first wife Mary passed or when he met his second wife (mentioned in his Will). An interesting note from Judge DesBrisay's History of Lunenburg County, Second Edition, says Mary Ball was once a domestic in the house of Treasure Wallace in Halifax 4.

Ball meeting Mary must have occurred in Halifax, which means Ball travelled to Halifax, if only once. What could prompt Mary to leave a job and no doubt good accommodations for life on Oak Island?

Samuel's eldest son Andrew appears to have survived to adulthood, as his son Simeon, is mentioned in the 1846 Will and is mentioned as still living on the Western shore in 1870. History does not record what became of Andrew, his grandson Simeon, or his wife.

At the time of Samuel Ball's death, it was noted he died on 14th December 1845; he was 81 years of age, thus Samuel Ball must have been born in 1764. This would have placed him at about 19 years of age when he travelled to Shelburne, thus explains why he was not listed in many of the records as they tended to list adults of 21 years of age or older.

When cross referencing against a listing of Lunenburg County Cemeteries 5, one cannot find a single entry for Samuel, either of his children who died young, or his wife Mary. Could they all be buried on Oak Island? This is not so strange when we consider the period and neither would it be unique to the Ball family. You will come to read that Donald McGinnis was reported as buried on Oak Island and many of the Smith members who died on Oak Island are not in mainland cemetaries.

After providing all of this information, one must wonder why Samuel Ball was not, and was never mentioned in any account told by the Truro Company or Oak Island Association. He was on Oak Island at some point in 1787, before McGinnis and before Smith, and he was a resident from 1791 (verified via 1791 Poll Tax), perhaps even to 1787. Neither his servant Isaac Butler nor his grandson Simeon's testimony was ever provided.

Did those folks from Truro intentionally leave out information about Ball?"

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be the first actual piece of evidence shown here on TNet that has been verified from the show.

:laughing7:

Congratulations

OP
OP
TxFroggy

TxFroggy

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2014
Boerne, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMGosh, thank you for all of this information! Very informative!

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Samuel Ball's ......

Were you the woman that was on the show?

....I seemed to remember that she was similar in her looks.........

Just a passing thought.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a Robot you delivered again........

Such a sweet history there...... a freedman that knew the secret was near

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Seems very odd that Mr Ball does not mention his career in the 42 Grenadiers in his Memorial. What are the letters in front of Ball?

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems very odd that Mr Ball does not mention his career in the 42 Grenadiers in his Memorial. What are the letters in front of Ball?

I don't remember where I saw that but it could be a mfg name for a fire arm

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

What are the letters in front of Ball?...Samuel

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
You have not yet managed to show that Mr Ball was in the Black Watch- was Major Ward in the Black Watch? Why did he not mention this?

You see what you want to see, Robot- sadly that doesn't make it true.

Most 18th century British military firearms I have seen might have a regimental or company number, very rare to have a name- could Mr Ball read by the way? Most firearms were issued to recruits, then taken back at the end of their service.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You Really Still Want My Opinion?...After You State...I Only See What I Want To See!

You have not yet managed to show that Mr Ball was in the Black Watch- was Major Ward in the Black Watch? Why did he not mention this?

You see what you want to see, Robot- sadly that doesn't make it true.

Most 18th century British military firearms I have seen might have a regimental or company number, very rare to have a name- could Mr Ball read by the way? Most firearms were issued to recruits, then taken back at the end of their service.

Vision.jpg

Stay tuned...When I...Not You...Finish Researching... The What, When, Which and Why...Samuel Ball joined the Canadian Grenadiers!

May be..Samuel Ball did not mention or return his firearm...because he was part of a...Secret Freemason Organization bent on preserving the Secret of Oak Island!

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1424639

Stay tuned...When I...Not You...Finish Researching... The What, When, Which and Why...Samuel Ball joined the Canadian Grenadiers!

May be..Samuel Ball did not mention or return his firearm...because he was part of a...Secret Freemason Organization bent on preserving the Secret of Oak Island!

The secret revealed:

There has never been anything there.........

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be..Samuel Ball did not mention or return his firearm...because he was part of a..Secret Freemason Organization

It shouldn't take much research to discover why Samuel Ball could not have been a member of any Freemason organization.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread