Season 5

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I have researched it extensively and published several experts opinions here at various times. The experts I mostly quoted were a team of three of the most respected researchers in the world and there were also others. The stated opinions of all the experts I quoted was that "coconuts" did not exist anywhere in the Atlantic Basin before the Portuguese introduced them in 1499.

I never claimed that there were coconuts in the Atlantic Basin before Columbus. I did claim that there were coconuts on the Pacific Coast of Panama. Depending on which parts of Panama that we're talking about, that might not be too far from the Atlantic coast. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

If I had the motivation, I'd do some digging into primary sources. I'm not going to bother though. A DNA test will put this to bed, but citing centuries-old books that were written in another language may not. Also, I really dislike attempting to solve a problem with a difficult method when a very simple and easy method already exists.

And that's pretty much the end of it. Without a DNA test, we can't know for sure where that fiber originated. If we can't know for sure where that fiber originated, any theory that requires those fibers to originate from a certain place is going to have a hole in it.

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every thing that came out of the last drill hole looked like it was chewed up and ground up into small chunks but the bones made it up with no marks on them, WHY

iWeld

Aug 26, 2017
Warrensburg Mo
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every thing that came out of the last drill hole looked like it was chewed up and ground up into small chunks but the bones made it up with no marks on them, WHY
I don't know but i have been trying to find information of how the "spoils" from the bore holes are recovered/transported back to the surface. I can tell they use air pressure and fluid but how exactly does it work? How can they definitely say any piece of anything recovered came from any specific depth with certainty? Say they bored thru a tecup at 100ft, is it possible the pieces just circulated around in the hole untill it was finally swept up in the fluid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I don't know but i have been trying to find information of how the "spoils" from the bore holes are recovered/transported back to the surface. I can tell they use air pressure and fluid but how exactly does it work? How can they definitely say any piece of anything recovered came from any specific depth with certainty? Say they bored thru a tecup at 100ft, is it possible the pieces just circulated around in the hole untill it was finally swept up in the fluid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yes... or it may have fell out of the side of the borehole at 20 feet down and then brought up.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any of you suppose some production team member might be reading these threads to see what people are saying about the show? Or do you think they don't care as long as the ratings stay high?

it's all about ratings and tv money
do you think that kardashian chick cares how big her butt gets as long as the money keeps rolling in? (silicone is cheap)

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never claimed that there were coconuts in the Atlantic Basin before Columbus. I did claim that there were coconuts on the Pacific Coast of Panama. Depending on which parts of Panama that we're talking about, that might not be too far from the Atlantic coast. It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Nope, they never made it from the Pacific Coast to the Gulf of Mexico, according to the research paper I posted earlier! And, if that's the case the proposed DNA test wouldn't tell us much we don't already know, although I also would like to see one, as well as the documentation from the Lagina's own identity and dating of the material.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Nope, they never made it from the Pacific Coast to the Gulf of Mexico, according to the research paper I posted earlier!

Which paper was that?

And, if that's the case the proposed DNA test wouldn't tell us much we don't already know, although I also would like to see one, as well as the documentation from the Lagina's own identity and dating of the material.

That depends on what you meant by "they never made it". I'm not implying that Pacific coconuts were carried to the Atlantic coast and planted successfully.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That depends on what you meant by "they never made it". I'm not implying that Pacific coconuts were carried to the Atlantic coast and planted successfully.

Why don't you introduce a scenario whereby, a pre-Columbian somebody took coconut fibre from the Western Coast of Panama with it eventually ending up in Nova Scotia. If its reasonable I may buy in.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Why don't you introduce a scenario whereby, a pre-Columbian somebody took coconut fibre from the Western Coast of Panama with it eventually ending up in Nova Scotia. If its reasonable I may buy in.

Does it have to be more reasonable than some of the scenarios introduced on this forum? What if I blamed it on the Polynesians? I don't actually believe that, but we know that they could navigate successfully and repeatedly over very long stretches of open ocean, we know that there was cultural intercourse between Asia and South (and very likely Central) America prior to 1200 AD, and we know that they traveled with coconuts. The only speculation involved is about whether or not the Polynesians went to the New World or the New World went to the Pacific islands (the evidence overwhelming suggests that the former happened), and how far they were willing to paddle once they made landfall. This, to me, already makes more sense than theories involving the descendants of Templars and Scottish jarls, yet I still don't believe it because even though it could have happened, I don't know enough to say that it probably did. Just so you know where I stand, and how I think.

I don't actually have a theory as to how coconut fibers made it to Nova Scotia. I don't have enough facts to put one together that I'd be comfortable with. Speaking of me not having enough facts, can you direct me to that paper you mentioned?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe this week-- they drill up leather made in Egypt during the Crusades :laughing9:

OR_____________ could it be :dontknow:???-----------------------

a wig---------------------possibly worn by Napolean-----:tongue3::happysmiley::dontknow::occasion18:

rick, marty and the team----

along with "professional treasure hunter" :metaldetector: Gawwey _____

and Pocahontas----

discuss this in the "war room"

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe this week-- they drill up leather made in Egypt during the Crusades :laughing9:
Short of some actual treasure it does not matter what they pull out of the ground... If there is a stash of gold down there as soon as they hit it with there drill it will start spitting out over there sifting device... If it does not then there is no treasure there.. pretty simple really.....

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad show tonight. Wasting our time doing nothing but wasting their time talking about nothing. I hope the sick brother feels better.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinkin' 5 Buck KFC meal---

now I'ze be leanin' at early Thanksgiving cannibal feast :dontknow:

but I was right about the leather AND the wig--- they found HAIR on tissue & bone----

NAH------ just a scalpin after the cannibal meal-----UUURRRPPPPP!!! :laughing9::icon_biggrin::sad11:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does it have to be more reasonable than some of the scenarios introduced on this forum? What if I blamed it on the Polynesians? I don't actually believe that, but we know that they could navigate successfully and repeatedly over very long stretches of open ocean, we know that there was cultural intercourse between Asia and South (and very likely Central) America prior to 1200 AD, and we know that they traveled with coconuts. The only speculation involved is about whether or not the Polynesians went to the New World or the New World went to the Pacific islands (the evidence overwhelming suggests that the former happened), and how far they were willing to paddle once they made landfall. This, to me, already makes more sense than theories involving the descendants of Templars and Scottish jarls, yet I still don't believe it because even though it could have happened, I don't know enough to say that it probably did. Just so you know where I stand, and how I think.

I don't actually have a theory as to how coconut fibers made it to Nova Scotia. I don't have enough facts to put one together that I'd be comfortable with. Speaking of me not having enough facts, can you direct me to that paper you mentioned?

Polynesians with dugouts paddle across the Pacific and carry their canoes over the Divide at Panama with a load of coconut fibre. Eventually, paddling to Nova Scotia where they deposit their cargo.

Or, Europeans with capable sailing ships carry manufactured coir in the form of ropes and cargo packing from where we know it existed, arrive in the "New World" dump their packing as they look for a site to settle.

Except for the use of the coir we know the latter scenario in at least one location had already happened, so I guess I can't buy into the former.

I have posted parts of the "paper" many times in the past. I will dig it up later today and post a link, although I believe the map you posted earlier is from that research.

Cheers, Loki

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a bunch of "treasure Hunters" you guys sure are exuding a lot of negative Vibes

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worst show of the season ...who cares about some fool getting sick !
To make this about the brothers...maybe play it in the afternoon with the rest of The Soap Operas .
Gary

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but I was right about the leather AND the wig--- they found HAIR on tissue & bone----

Next week's preview implies that the leather will be a book binding. When combined with the paper fragments, you have to wonder how much of any possible book will be left after all that drilling. How do they excavate the area if over-drilling with a large hole? A hammer grab would do quite a bit of damage.

The Templars connection raises the idea of it being a bible, but the 1600s would be long after Gutenberg already expanded the reach of the bible, and the font is different from the letter already found on the paper.

Hope Rick makes a full recovery - it can be a long process.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Marty said they found the money pit and Chapels vault so it must be true. If Mr Skeptic says that then it is so!
This has def been the slowest, worst season so far. Thankfully my DVR has a FF button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread