Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Metal detecting and scanning beach yeilds a (cleaned?) Crossbow arrow shaft

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2018
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    So this young "expert" says the "crossbow bolt" is a Roman Pilum. I do not believe so. 2000 yrs old. Do not think so. More likely along the line of a 1/4" hotwire post fashioned into a gigging spear by some handy fellow within the last century. Kudos to the fellow. Not so sure about the rest of this gang.

Feb 2008
    15 times
    Absolutely! Just went down and looked at my 9 foot antique frog gigger. My points are still sharp, but the center spike is the same 1/4 inch with barb on it. Keep in mind mine hasn't been rolling in stone surf for a couple of decades, and it's for frogs, not lobster, fish, eel, etc. I rolled my eyes so hard tonight at the Roman bit, that I think I dislodged something.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzahk View Post
    Yep

is certainly does look similar to the middle spike on this one (Found when google "old gigging spear canada" on image search.)

Attachment 1657613

Closer match than any cross bow bolts on the internet..
    franklin likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    14179 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I don't have a lot of trust in these shows people will fake finds anything for a buck and ratings
    Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $4.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.50 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus & a Carrot!
    933 times
    Metal Detecting
    First it was a Templar cross bolt, now a Roman spear. This keeps getting better and better.
    Cant wait till they drain the cove they will find stuff from the Dinosaurs. Maybe T Rex dug the flood tunnels and hid some Pterodactyl eggs in the MP for a late night snack.
    Not buying any of this but I do still watch for the entertainment factor.
    Charlie P. (NY) and macronova like this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10010 times
    Metal Detecting
    Oh, now they'll bring back Colonel Philyaw, whatever, and he'll produce a Roman digital watch set to 321BC and that will mean a side trip to Sicily to burn some air time.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Mar 2008
    CT
    Minelab Safari Minelab Excalibur 2 White's classic 3sl Garrett pro pointer AT
    845 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Although it sure must be fun and exciting to be able to dig there, i agree 100% it's all about ratings and $$$. That island has been dug up, turned upside down and inside out by hundreds of treasure hunters over the past couple hundred years maybe longer. They dig deep pits, find nothing, then bury all their trash in it and cover it up when they leave. Next tribe of diggers come in like Rick and Marty, find "voids" in the earth with ground penetrating radar , start boring holes everywhere and it's a big thing if they come up with some old wood { aka someones trash pit}. reminds me of DIGGERS where every piece of junk dug up must certainly have belonged to George Washington himself .

Sep 2018
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gr88bd View Post
    My guess is that Nolan put them there, He had surveyed the island in the early 60's for other searchers/land owners with no mention of a cross made .The cross wasnt made public until much later when he owned the lots the boulders are on ... He was also a searcher and seeking funding.
    I don’t think so. He had no reason to think KT.

His theory was the British was the ones who hide the treasure. From the Havana raid.

Jul 2015
    Ontario
    Xp Deus
    10 times
    My pre 1650 Jesuit harpoon points these where given to the indians by the jesuit priests here in ontarioClick image for larger version. 

Name:	D5730CC2-D3CF-4723-9612-91FA61E27123.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	1657762

Sep 2018
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stonebottles View Post
    My pre 1650 Jesuit harpoon points these where given to the indians by the jesuit priests here in ontarioClick image for larger version. 

Really?
    franklin likes this.

Jul 2015
    Ontario
    Xp Deus
    10 times
    Yes the Indians would break the one end off and use them as awls or make bracelets out of the longer ones

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A1E75F4-7C4C-4D80-B2AB-7579D7524B09.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	1657764
    franklin and travis.gore.79 like this.

Charter Member
    ca
    Mar 2014
    684 times
    Oak Island Treasure

Oh...Those Jesuits!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sacambaya-treasure Jesuits.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	1658132

Stay tuned...for new developments!
    The search for "Truth" and "Justice" is my "Prime Directive."

Nov 2015
    826 times

This is more plausible then the Romans.. The top one does look similar. J.Steeles theory (From her book The Oak Island Mystery, Solved) is that there was a naval store operation on OI run and controlled by the Jesuits...
    Robot likes this.
    Live the moment...

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10010 times
    Metal Detecting
    French Jesuits were "operating" in my area of NY in 1615. Poor as church mice (IMHO "Jesuit Treasure" is a hoax) but definitely bringing trade goods in to coax the locals to attend mass and convert.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Mar 2011
    134 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
    Absolutely! Just went down and looked at my 9 foot antique frog gigger. My points are still sharp, but the center spike is the same 1/4 inch with barb on it. Keep in mind mine hasn't been rolling in stone surf for a couple of decades, and it's for frogs, not lobster, fish, eel, etc. I rolled my eyes so hard tonight at the Roman bit, that I think I dislodged something.
    Whatever you can poke is what you can gigg.... Should be a bumper sticker.

I have used one on just about everything that can crawl in the tidal waters, never cared much for frogs. They gullible masses will believe whatever they are fed in hi-def. Its a conspiracy to brainwash and pacify, but this is a whole other topic.

Back to Freemasons gigging for frogs....
    All relics, coins, or other items appearing in any of my signatures were found on PRIVATE PROPERTY with total consent and permission from the owners of said property.

Oct 2018
    70 times
    Yeah that guy who says the spike is a 2000 yr old Roman Pilum totally lost all credibility. I mean what a completely ridiculous conclusion. Even the most optimistic characters in the room couldn't even bring themselves to fake belief or excitement. I guess its time to delete that guys phone number...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links