🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
appears Gawwy is as dumb as he sounds & looks--- a bone???? NO-- a bonehead

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
20190102_151408.jpg We actually DID have a door latch on a shed that looked just like what the end of your fire poker looks like, twisted iron and all, but with a less pronounced hook. In fact, you can still buy them at home depot! LOL.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My sliding barn doors have a latch like that on the inside to keep the wind from working them open. c.1985

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Best Tool...for...Stoking a Fire

Could it be a Blacksmith's Wrought Iron...for Stoking or Poking a Fire?

I use one...myself!

Fire Poker.jpg

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
It could be a lot of things. Mismatched bits and pieces of pottery and a latch only 12-18 inches down screams trash pile/pit.

The whole island is a forensic nightmare. There have been hundreds of people over 300+ years. Living working, building, destroying, strip searching the land, refilling it, garbage dumps, heaps, piles, broken down machinery. No one can be there without leaving a trace. I feel like decades of habitation and production and life is being ignored because it won't fit the narrative of "treasure island" that has been set up and is the draw of the show.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus ya'll are comparing it to a much longer piece if metal then what they actually found. Ya'll are as bad as the show when it comes to figuring out what something is. The one they found is maybe 5'' or so long. Who has a fire poker that short!!!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plus ya'll are comparing it to a much longer piece if metal then what they actually found. Ya'll are as bad as the show when it comes to figuring out what something is. The one they found is maybe 5'' or so long. Who has a fire poker that short!!!

An Irish one? :laughing7:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fuuny, but you see what I'm saying. People trying to compare it to something much longer then what they found just to be able to TRY to have an excuse to bash the show some how... Why do ya'll watch the show is what I want to know..

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fuuny, but you see what I'm saying. People trying to compare it to something much longer then what they found just to be able to TRY to have an excuse to bash the show some how... Why do ya'll watch the show is what I want to know..

I will reply for me as I watch for the entertainment. Sure I will do a lil bashing here and there when they present some totally absurd ideas, info or finds. What do you expect? We are not in 1st grade.
When they show some really neat item, find or theory I will discuss them with others and have some fun. Either way I am having some fun.

Examples of both:
Neat and worth discussing: First episode showing all this neat tech to be used to search the island and some finds and exploring.
Absurd and laughable: The lady and guy stating the Jolly Roger is Templar, anyone else saying this is all Templar, the recent find of the 90' stone... I can go on.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all fine and dandy but at the moment we we talking about the "fire poker" which is not a fire poker and everyone who knows what a fire poker is and or has ever seen one should know what they found WAS NOT a fire poker..

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
all fine and dandy but at the moment we we talking about the "fire poker" which is not a fire poker and everyone who knows what a fire poker is and or has ever seen one should know what they found WAS NOT a fire poker..
You cannot back up or prove your statement, so why do you keep pushing it? :BangHead:
I posted a picture of a real fire poker with identical characteristics, maybe you need improved eyesight :laughing7:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Is There Still Time...To Change My Answer?

After watching the item on the Show and seeing its actual size...I am now of the opinion that it is an 18th Century Wrought Iron Door...Thumb...or Chest...Latch!

Door Latch Chest Latch 2.jpg Door Latch Chest Latch.jpg Door Latch 1.jpg Door Latch.jpg Door Latch Thumb Latch.jpg

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cannot back up or prove your statement, so why do you keep pushing it? :BangHead:
I posted a picture of a real fire poker with identical characteristics, maybe you need improved eyesight :laughing7:

Tell me, have you ever seen a fire poker that is 6'' or less? Just because it looks like your fire poker doesn't change the fact that it is only 5'' or so long. How do you explain that..Even a Irish Leprechaun would use one longer then that..

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
And I posted a 5.5 inch long twisted wrought iron DOOR latch hook, with a photo.

OP
OP
Al D

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Tell me, have you ever seen a fire poker that is 6'' or less? Just because it looks like your fire poker doesn't change the fact that it is only 5'' or so long. How do you explain that..Even a Irish Leprechaun would use one longer then that..
What part of the statement “A Part Of” are you having trouble understanding?
what Gary found was a part of a fire poker, found in an old fire pit with broken pieces of ceramic and pottery.
thick as a brick.........good grief

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What part of the statement “A Part Of” are you having trouble understanding?
what Gary found was a part of a fire poker, found in an old fire pit with broken pieces of ceramic and pottery.
thick as a brick.........good grief

(changing subject, slightly) the Fire Pit, was/is a hot spot for a historic scatter..., what did the archaeologist
find when he excavated it...?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am simply amazed at how much Gary found with his little hole. Then when the archaeologist dug out the entire area no finds of any kind are mentioned? What happened was everything in that one little bitty hole?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread