The "U" shaped structure

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A more accurate depiction of where things that have been found in Smiths Cove are..

View attachment 1677998

I would think that this shows the U Shaped structure is part of an attempt to block the flood tunnels...

Nice! You beat me to it. I took a pic of this last night and was gonna upload for discussion.
Its like they knew I wanted a cool lil graphic for discussion on Tnet!

I also took some pics of real life on OI too before they showed this.

New item added at the end... concrete wall? Romans used concrete!!!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOTS of people used concrete.

Where would the Romans have got the volcanic ash to substitute for the burnt lime in Canada? I doubt they filled a trieme with ash and rowed across the Atlantic to bury something or make a wharf/dock crib.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie, I am not suggesting that the romans came to OI. don't think anyone is. the comment that the romans invented concrete is valid. I imagine that there were many post roman folks that tried to replicate their formula over the years.

if you want to have a real conversation, why, if the concrete was poured in the 60's wasn't there some record of it. a picture? there are pics and records of everything else that happened in the 60's.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually concrete was first used in a section of what is Saudi Arabia ("Nabatea") as far back as 6,500 BC - almost six thousand years before Rome or Romans. The hydraulic concrete the Romans are famous for ages so well in sea-water because the Romans used volcanic ash in the mix.

The concrete they found could have been poured in the 1800's or a little earlier, even. Or any time after.

Just where are records kept when people construct docks or cribs? Did the Brothers check the equivalent of the county code enforcement office for old records to see if anyone applied for a permit? I bet not. No good TV time in that.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not good TV time in that but I'm guessing there is someone who heads a team of people who are doing research and weeding thru the 100's of different theories from people and figuring out who to let on the show etc etc... By the looks of how things were done on the island for the last couple hundred years it sure doesn't look like anyone has had to bother with permits even up thru the 1960's

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any sign that the structure had any height to it. how it could hold water back. I keep thinking that it is a base for something.

Anything of height would have been beaten to a pulp from years of tides and storms, plus it is buried 3' down so we are looking at the remains of the base of something.

That is what I have been saying. Who builds virtually anything out of logs that is only 1 log high... Guess some of them could have gotten washed away over the years but..............

:icon_thumright: This is the remains of something... we are working to find out what it is.

Hopefully they will have that whole area surveyed and locate each item found before they have to cover it all up, then they can map it out.. Something that should have been done many years ago...

Dunfield should have done it, Dan should have done it and now thanks to TV, we are doing it for and with them!
Other have dug up the cove too so should we include Heddon? Restal? Maybe Chapel?

I hope they get a lot out of this before the end of the season.... wonder if the dam can be left up over the winter? Doubt it and if they have to take it down, do they start all over again next year?

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I don't see any sign that the structure had any height to it. how it could hold water back. I keep thinking that it is a base for something.

What we are looking at are seracher attempts to block the flood tunnels. Nothing more. These are the bases of two different coffer dams. The extensions from would most likely be planks. I don't believe the concrete wall is of Roman origin.

OP
OP
W

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only indication that I am aware of, that shows anything other than the structure being a base, are the notches. point upward at a 45* angle. if there were a deck to it, there should be more debris AND construction marks. there are none that I am aware of. I think that that wood plank wall was to hold water, but the "U" shaped structure was for heavy material.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 coffer dams.jpg

Neat pic here showing some interesting items.
The log road is apparently a wharf constructed by Hedden in 1937 and a small coffer dam from 1937 as well.
Looks like a bigger coffer dam was constructed in 1850-1866... part of the U shaped structure?
This info might make all the cool stuff they are showing us obsolete. Old searcher stuff?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make believe flood tunnels.....
Yep... That is one thing the Laginas have PROVED... If the flood tunnels existed from Smiths Cove they would now be blocked from the coffer dam and all the other holes could be drained as water could not get there any longer. The water levels in all the other holes (cave in pit, H8 etc) would now be falling as the water drains away...

If there was no Smith Cove flood tunnels then there is nothing really left to suggest treasure was ever buried at Oak Island...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This info might make all the cool stuff they are showing us obsolete. Old searcher stuff?

I can just picture this show by the year 2500:

"I wonder what could be buried in Smith's Cove"
"Let's dig it up"
"Look at those iron panels"
"Could it be....the fabled iron curtain separating the East from the West???"

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Yep... That is one thing the Laginas have PROVED... If the flood tunnels existed from Smiths Cove they would now be blocked from the coffer dam and all the other holes could be drained as water could not get there any longer. The water levels in all the other holes (cave in pit, H8 etc) would now be falling as the water drains away...

If there was no Smith Cove flood tunnels then there is nothing really left to suggest treasure was ever buried at Oak Island...

There were flood tunnels on both sides of the island. Also, because of all the work done, there are more than just those two sending in sea water.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were flood tunnels on both sides of the island.
What are you saying... Someone dug thousands of feet of "back up" flood tunnels just incase someone found the Smiths Cove Flood tunnels and blocked them?...
Also, because of all the work done, there are more than just those two sending in sea water.
NO ONE else has dug a channel/tunnel from the sea to the money pit. So how does the other digging result in the sea getting to the money pit?

This is not even an argument the Laginas have put forward...

NO ONE has found any evidence AT ALL of any other flood tunnels....

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
What are you saying... Someone dug thousands of feet of "back up" flood tunnels just incase someone found the Smiths Cove Flood tunnels and blocked them?... NO ONE else has dug a channel/tunnel from the sea to the money pit. So how does the other digging result in the sea getting to the money pit?

This is not even an argument the Laginas have put forward...

NO ONE has found any evidence AT ALL of any other flood tunnels....

It was theorized that there were two sets of flood tunnels. in the 1800s, concentrated dye was poured into the money pit and the dye appeared on both sides of the island.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They tried to duplicate that a few years ago before they got the diver to the bottom of 10x only to find out it was capped off so no way for the dye to get down passed the narrow section. Kinda surprised they haven't tried it again..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has any one seen any cost numbers on the U shaped structure excavation.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was theorized that there were two sets of flood tunnels. in the 1800s, concentrated dye was poured into the money pit and the dye appeared on both sides of the island.

That’s what happens when someone pours dye down into a hole on an island with miles of naturally occurring underground water tunnels.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread