Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: The "U" shaped structure

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus & a Carrot!
    1073 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Occului Nunc View Post
    Did anyone notice the long (modern-day) cable protruding from the dirt (about 4 feet down), after Billy scooped away some earth. Good old Rick and another fella (can't recall) were down in the ditch with shovels. The cable was definitely modern, and the exposed part might have been about 20 feet (looped). What is THAT doing there?
    I saw that too... wondered about it but had a long weekend off and forgot to post about it.
    Prob has something to do with that lil tractor they have in there. When I first saw it I was laughing. What's that gonna do? Haha.
    Bet they tie the lil tractor to something else so it don't tip over or if it starts to sink, they can pull it out.

That's my guess...

ca
    Elder

Nov 2016
    In the north
    Computers
    281 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch Da Truth View Post
    Prob has something to do with that lil tractor they have in there. When I first saw it I was laughing.
    Me too ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41476ECE-769C-41DD-8B9D-A7DFFF90A092.gif 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	1677909

Blooper ?
    franklin likes this.

Nov 2015
    1091 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    after fleecing advertisers of millions.....
    Actually the advertisers are doing well.. With the ratings that this show is getting the advertisers are getting a good return on their investment... Just shows that a "made up" treasure story sells a lot better if it is based around an actual legend... We all like they idea of finding buried treasure...
    Caryl and travis.gore.79 like this.
    Live the moment...

Nov 2015
    1091 times
    A more accurate depiction of where things that have been found in Smiths Cove are..

Name:	sc-3.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	1677998

that is the point of this thread. what the hell was it for?

I would think that this shows the U Shaped structure is part of an attempt to block the flood tunnels...
    Last edited by gazzahk; Feb 05, 2019 at 11:34 PM.
    Live the moment...

Dec 2018
    61 times
    I started this thread because I hoped to have a serious discussion about what t "U" shaped structure was for. it is a shame, but not a surprising shame, that the usual cast of clowns has decided to sidetrack this into their own little "pissing party"

Dec 2018
    61 times
    I don't see any sign that the structure had any height to it. how it could hold water back. I keep thinking that it is a base for something.
    travis.gore.79 likes this.

Jan 2015
    Triad NC
    297 times
    That is what I have been saying. Who builds virtually anything out of logs that is only 1 log high... Guess some of them could have gotten washed away over the years but..............

Dec 2018
    61 times
    any idea what the elevation is at low tide?

Jan 2015
    Triad NC
    297 times
    Hopefully they will have that whole area surveyed and locate each item found before they have to cover it all up, then they can map it out.. Something that should have been done many years ago...
    franklin likes this.

Feb 2008
    90 times
    A better question is "What WAS the elevation between tides at the time it was built/used?" and maybe higher pieces above water then, are long rotted and washed away. It only takes one good storm to bury a beach feet deep in debris. Anything not dug out for continued use, just keeps getting more debris piled on.

The newly posted illustration of the cove above looks like an old breakwater and boat hauling ramp.

Anyway....have a good day all. OH, I liked the little well we've never managed to be shown before when they were looking for more of that stone. All nicely capped with glacial stone and concrete.
    MikeN and gazzahk like this.

Nov 2015
    70 times
    I'm surprised they dont do a survey with GPR.
    Or get the folks back with the sonic blasting and survey.

tim
    franklin and gr88bd like this.

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus & a Carrot!
    1073 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzahk View Post
    A more accurate depiction of where things that have been found in Smiths Cove are..

Name:	sc-3.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	1677998

I would think that this shows the U Shaped structure is part of an attempt to block the flood tunnels...
    Nice! You beat me to it. I took a pic of this last night and was gonna upload for discussion.
    Its like they knew I wanted a cool lil graphic for discussion on Tnet!

I also took some pics of real life on OI too before they showed this.

New item added at the end... concrete wall? Romans used concrete!!!!!

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11219 times
    Metal Detecting
    LOTS of people used concrete.

Where would the Romans have got the volcanic ash to substitute for the burnt lime in Canada? I doubt they filled a trieme with ash and rowed across the Atlantic to bury something or make a wharf/dock crib.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Feb 06, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Dec 2018
    61 times
    Charlie, I am not suggesting that the romans came to OI. don't think anyone is. the comment that the romans invented concrete is valid. I imagine that there were many post roman folks that tried to replicate their formula over the years.

if you want to have a real conversation, why, if the concrete was poured in the 60's wasn't there some record of it. a picture? there are pics and records of everything else that happened in the 60's.
    b3y0nd3r and patiodadio like this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11219 times
    Metal Detecting
    Actually concrete was first used in a section of what is Saudi Arabia ("Nabatea") as far back as 6,500 BC - almost six thousand years before Rome or Romans. The hydraulic concrete the Romans are famous for ages so well in sea-water because the Romans used volcanic ash in the mix.

The concrete they found could have been poured in the 1800's or a little earlier, even. Or any time after.

Just where are records kept when people construct docks or cribs? Did the Brothers check the equivalent of the county code enforcement office for old records to see if anyone applied for a permit? I bet not. No good TV time in that.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Feb 07, 2019 at 08:36 AM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links