I found Oak Island story written before Lagina's found out about it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every few months I am a fill in lightkeeper at Battery Point Lighthouse in No CA. My wife and I went there last weekend. It is an 1865 tourist attraction but when the tides get high I shew everyone off and then we are an island. So about 1PM on Saturday we had Battery Point all to ourselves. It is not as big as Oak Island so I was able to explore it pretty well and went to parts I have not been to before. I came back to the lighthouse and in one of the rooms there is a cabinet full of books. I came across one that sounded interesting I opened it up in the middle and the words Oak Island just popped out. It is a short story. Published in STRANGER than SCIENCE in 1959 a whole six years before the laginas did their reading. (and no where in the story did it repeat over and over the same thing)

The last photo is where I go a few times every week. I am a tour guide. It is a 5 minute drive and a 10 minute walk across the beach.

Attachments

• OAK ISLAND-01.jpg
    OAK ISLAND-01.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 201
  • OAK ISLAND-02.jpg
    OAK ISLAND-02.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 315
  • OAK ISLAND-03.jpg
    OAK ISLAND-03.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 293
  • OAK ISLAND-04.jpg
    OAK ISLAND-04.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 279
  • OAK ISLAND-05.jpg
    OAK ISLAND-05.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 20190323_131847.jpg
    20190323_131847.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rope burned tree limb and a small depression in the ground was all they had to go on, yet they dug a 35 foot deep hole before they found so much as a scrap of evidence in the ground to support their efforts... Righhhhht!!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There certainly is a curse on Oak Island. But it's not about the deaths.

It's about the sucker bet of putting in a small or medium sized fortune in order to try and find a non-existent large fortune.

Odds of winning are FAR below the payout. So far: 29:0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig!

If you eventually hit water you'll know it's Templars!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try digging down below your swing. If you run across "placed logs" every so often would you not think that someone put them there on purpose? Sure doesn't mean treasure but it did not happen naturally..

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
cyberdan, I remember reading a book about it in the early 70s when I was in elementary school, so I was really excited when the show came up. I've tried looking up the book on the internet since then but have had no luck, I remember nothing about it that could help identify it other than the subject. I used to be really into reading about mysteries, ufos, treasure, bigfoot etc.

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
cyberdan, I remember reading a book about it in the early 70s when I was in elementary school, so I was really excited when the show came up. I've tried looking up the book on the internet since then but have had no luck, I remember nothing about it that could help identify it other than the subject. I used to be really into reading about mysteries, ufos, treasure, bigfoot etc.

My great grandmother had a set of paperbacks that were based on the In Search OF.... Tv series. I remember the Oak Island one and the Search for the Lost Ark (Noah) ones the best.

Heres the ISO TV episode of OI

Last edited:

Deane

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was about 8 or 9 years old in ~1957 my parents gave me a soft cover "Activity book" for Christmas. In it were stories, puzzles, games, and tricks. One of the stories that captured my imagination was about the Treasure of Oak Island. I wish I still had that old book now. Most of the facts were similar to the book quotes above but instead of a "worn branch" on the oak tree over the depression, the 3 boys found a rotting loop of large rope tied to the limb. They started digging and found the first log platform at 10 feet deep and that piqued their excitement and supposedly the pattern of log or coconut fiber mats continued every 10 feet right down to the 100 foot level where the large box was found by the Doctor's crew years later. Then the shaft flooded overnight and that ended their shot at it.

Deane

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a swing. My kids have worn a small depression in the ground below our swing.....just sayin......

Don't be silly. There are no swings in an oak forest on a deserted island. I totally believe the original discovery story of the 3 teenagers.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be silly. There are no swings in an oak forest on a deserted island. I totally believe the original discovery story of the 3 teenagers.

1. The island wouldn't have been forested at this point, having been cleared for agriculture some time earlier,

2. The island wasn't deserted. There were a number of people living and working on the island.

3. The three 'teenagers' weren't actually teenagers. They were adult men who owned property on the island.

You "totally believe" a story that is demonstrably false.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
back in 1795, maybe there was not too much to do besides fishing. So they dug.

I recall my uncle talking about Oak Island in the mid 70's when we were using the old BFO detector around the old dairy farm they had outside of Brownsburg Indiana.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. The island wouldn't have been forested at this point, having been cleared for agriculture some time earlier,

2. The island wasn't deserted. There were a number of people living and working on the island.

3. The three 'teenagers' weren't actually teenagers. They were adult men who owned property on the island.

You "totally believe" a story that is demonstrably false.

I don't think all of that is 100% true. I'm not going to go back and rehash dates of when the "boys" bought land, and not all of them did buy land ever, whether or not there were trees on the island at that point etc etc....

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember being in a dentist office in the mid 70s, readers digest had a big article on oak island, fascinated me.
Brady

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Try digging down below your swing. If you run across "placed logs" every so often would you not think that someone put them there on purpose? Sure doesn't mean treasure but it did not happen naturally..

You're assuming that there were placed logs in the first place. By the time this version of the story was told, the author had heard it from someone that had heard it from someone that had heard it from someone that had heard it from someone that had heard it from someone else.

I'm sure that nobody got anything wrong.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of whether or not they were found on OI, if you or anyone was to start digging under a swing or anywhere for that matter and ran across logs as described. You would keep digging if at all possible.. We all know that no one can prove any of the old stories on the island.. Not sure why people keep asking for proof... It's getting old debating every little tid bit of old or new info about OI. Why can't we just enjoy the search and if you don't believe find something you do believe in and enjoy it to the fullest....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions