So far in the recent 2019 and 2020 Oak Island shows what have they really found?

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I thought so, you believe oak trees were brought to Oak Island at the same time as the coconut fibre, right? So how could they be dated to some 350 years difference, right?

Cheers, Loki
Not even close, I never stated or implied that Oak trees were brought to Oak Island, if fact it does not matter where they came from.
the Laginas had oak logs dated via dendrochronology, those dates indicated mid 1600’s as well some of the iron objects which were dated by the numerous experts presented.
the only date earlier than those is the coir.
are you suggesting that Templars brought coir to Oak Island in the 1300’s and then did not come back until the 1600’s to use it?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not even close, I never stated or implied that Oak trees were brought to Oak Island, if fact it does not matter where they came from.
the Laginas had oak logs dated via dendrochronology, those dates indicated mid 1600’s as well some of the iron objects which were dated by the numerous experts presented.
the only date earlier than those is the coir.
are you suggesting that Templars brought coir to Oak Island in the 1300’s and then did not come back until the 1600’s to use it?

Why would they come back to use it???

Why would they come back at all?

Cheers, Loki

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Why would they come back to use it???

Cheers, Loki
The coir dates to around 1300
the logs date to around 1600
the logs are part of the Chapel Vault
which was deeper than the coir
so......how did the coir from 1300 come to be on top of the logs which are from 1600?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so......how did the coir from 1300 come to be on top of the logs which are from 1600?

Hmm, a real dilemma. The existence of the logs is questionable from what I understand, and in my opinion have nothing to do with my premise's. Again, I have never premised the Templar's burying or hiding anything on Oak Island. The Chapel Vault or whatever its called, belongs to other's theory's.

Cheers, Loki

petetherocker

Jan 20, 2015
Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appendix --Woods Hole Explores Oak Island
Quote from the site above:

....One potentially interesting finding that was made involved the legendary coconut fibres. The Woods Hole team were taken to a site on the Northeast coast of the island by people from Triton, who 'dug down a bit and produced a handful of fibres from under the sand (Aubrey, 2002).' When analyzed, they were indeed confirmed as material from some species of coconut, possibly of Mediterranean origin but too decayed for a positive identification (Aubrey, 2002)

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hmm, a real dilemma. The existence of the logs is questionable from what I understand, and in my opinion have nothing to do with my premise's. Again, I have never premised the Templar's burying or hiding anything on Oak Island. The Chapel Vault or whatever its called, belongs to other's theory's.

Cheers, Loki
Still.......it is there along with the coir

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hence why I think the "dating" of these items is "flawed".

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Was it?? Was the wood c-14 dated? There were several datings and id's of the coir done. The very existence of the logs has been constantly questioned.

Cheers, Loki
Dendrochronology is the calibration standard for archeological dating. It is absolute.
C14 dating is a derived process based upon assumed C14 uptake rates for various organisms.
if the wrong assumption is made, the results are inaccurate.
no the wood was not C14 dated
no one would use the C14 dating method when the tree ring method was applicable.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does the oak tree ring dating have to do with it? I don't think I premised anybody bringing oak trees to Oak Island! Btw, Beta Analytics still does C-14 tests and has an excellent reputation.

Cheers, Loki

Yes they do. And they would have given a report of what they found that would have been the results of the relative ratios of C-14 vs. C-13 vs C-12. After there it is speculative. Then they would have used a baseline (do we know if they used Northern Hemisphere, Marine Environment, Southern Hemisphere, etc.?) to give PROBABILITY of the sample based on where it was found. Something like: "There is a 68% chance the material was alive between the years 1400 and 1800 AD". And those baselines are also dependent on where it was "raised" when alive and respirating/metabolizing C-14. Where did Beta A. assume the material originated? We're pretty sure the coir didn't grow on Oak Island, so it has to be displaced from somewhere else. And since it, presumably, was below sea level in the "drains" for decades or centuries it has been contaminated with seawater that has a LOT of ions and is subjected to UV that disrupts ions.

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes they do. And they would have given a report of what they found that would have been the results of C-14 vs. C-13 vs C-12. Then they would have used a baseline (do we know if they used Northern Hemisphere, Marine Environment, Southern Hemisphere, etc.?) to give PROBABILITY of the sample based on where it was found. Something like: "There is a 68% chance the material was alive between the years 1400 and 1800 AD". And those baselines are also dependent on where it was "raised" when alive and respirating/metabolizing C-14. Where did Beta A. assume the material originated? We're pretty sure the coir didn't grow on Oak Island, so it has to be displaced from somewhere else. And since it, presumably, was below sea level in the "drains" for decades or centuries it has been contaminated with seawater that has a LOT of ions and is subjected to UV that disrupts ions.

Hi Charlie,
I just pulled my records, which cover 56 pages of reports on wood and coconut fibres from Oak Island. One sample of coconut fibre from the museum was dated with 95% confirmation by Beta in 1993, to between 1168 and 1371. This is the one I have been referencing.

Wood, has been all over the place form 1025 to 1970, with a sample of Charcoal from 148bc.

There have been three other datings of the fibre, two by National Ocean Sciences, submitted by Woods Hole in 1996, and one other by Beta in 1990.

Cheers, Loki

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi Charlie,
I just pulled my records, which cover 56 pages of reports on wood and coconut fibres from Oak Island. One sample of coconut fibre from the museum was dated with 95% confirmation by Beta in 1993, to between 1168 and 1371. This is the one I have been referencing.

Wood, has been all over the place form 1025 to 1970, with a sample of Charcoal from 148bc.

There have been three other datings of the fibre, two by National Ocean Sciences, submitted by Woods Hole in 1996, and one other by Beta in 1990.

Cheers, Loki
And yet, none of them cross calibrated by an absolute dating method

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where did they assume it grew? Do they mention the "Calibration" method or database used? It varies a great deal by geographic location and environment of where the sample existed when alive.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
where did they assume it grew? Do they mention the "Calibration" method or database used? It varies a great deal by geographic location and environment of where the sample existed when alive.

From the letters I read I believe they took everything into account. National Ocean Sciences and Beta Analytic know what they are doing and the correspondence back and forth (56 pages of letters) was intense.

If anybody wants to question the results I will give them the exact dates and various company's address' and they can write to them.

But, myself, I'm going with the 1168-1371 dates.

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's because that fits nicely into your existing bias.

I'd rather look at all the evidence objectively, questioning everything, rather than going in from the start to prove a hypothesis.

And those fibers weren't even taken directly from Oak Island. They were provided by Triton from samples at a museum display to Woods Hole who sent them along to Beta years later. If this was a legal case any lawyer would get them dismissed as evidence because there is no chain of custody. They could have been samples of what the Coir may have looked like when it was recognizable and not just goo.

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's because that fits nicely into your existing bias.

I'd rather look at all the evidence objectively, questioning everything, rather than going in from the start to prove a hypothesis.

And those fibers weren't even taken directly from Oak Island. They were provided by Triton from samples at a museum display to Woods Hole who sent them along to Beta years later. If this was a legal case any lawyer would get them dismissed as evidence because there is no chain of custody. They could have been samples of what the Coir may have looked like when it was recognizable and not just goo.

The fibres were from the Oak Island Museum just off the Island. I was offered a small quantity about 10 years ago and wish I had taken them up on it. There were other datings and other identifications that have similar results and one done recently by the Lagina's with the same results. Maybe all that evidence wouldn't prove anything but?

Cheers, Loki

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Charlie,

Cheers, Loki

The 95% confidence interval given is not what you think it is. It's the confidence in the methodology. It means the analysis contributes 5% error. The sample itself could contribute a lot of error. Dating degraded coconut fiber in a marine environment is prone to large error. It can be off by as much as a thousand years, and it always in the direction of finding things older than they are. You will never find anyone who dates a site with only an outlier result like that. Nothing else of known human attribution has ever confirmed this dating result, so it should be considered unconfirmed and an isolated result.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and no confirmation that the Oak Island coconut coir was genuine bona fide Templar coconut coir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread