DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Much of Spence's ESTIMATIONS of the Hunley's location was useful in VERIFYING the location where Hunley was found, photographed, and ultimately raised in 1995. We worked with several entities, including the South Carolina Institute for Archaeology and Anthropology, U.S. Naval Institute, and Clive Cussler's NUMA. The discoveries of both the Hunley and Queen Anne's Revenge occurred just a year or so after I had left North Carolina (and a year apart, in 95 and 96), but I spent several years prior assisting in research. I have no idea if any of the information I found was crucial to any of the location efforts, but I take a bit of pride in knowing that perhaps I may have. Unlike the claims of a particular poster on this forum, there are real, actual, tangible artifacts that show the research was successful.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much of Spence's ESTIMATIONS of the Hunley's location was useful in VERIFYING the location where Hunley was found, photographed, and ultimately raised in 1995. We worked with several entities, including the South Carolina Institute for Archaeology and Anthropology, U.S. Naval Institute, and Clive Cussler's NUMA. The discoveries of both the Hunley and Queen Anne's Revenge occurred just a year or so after I had left North Carolina (and a year apart, in 95 and 96), but I spent several years prior assisting in research. I have no idea if any of the information I found was crucial to any of the location efforts, but I take a bit of pride in knowing that perhaps I may have. Unlike the claims of a particular poster on this forum, there are real, actual, tangible artifacts that show the research was successful.

Great to hear facts from someone who has actually been there and done it vs. folks who post nonsense here obtained from watching YouTube videos and reading fairy tale fiction.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode:

They begin digging up the 'Spanish Galleon' in the swamp but true to form, an Oak Island water trap activates and fills the hole in with water faster than even Billy can excavate it. They exposed a beam of the ship, but it will have to wait until next year when they can install a coffer dam.

In the Samuel Ball foundation they find a hinge, from a door or treasure chest. Then they find a door in the floor: does it lead to a hidden tunnel and the Chappell vault?

In the stone pathway, they find a cool-looking possible wooden carpenter's square actually found to be a stonemason's T-square! A possible Masonic connection - possibly useful in creating all the 30,60, and 90 degree angles to features on Oak Island. Dated to 1632-1668. Could it be from the Scottish Freemasons? Later they find a very long ring bolt at the eastern border of the swamp.

This week's guest theorist found a piece of paper among some old Masonic regalia. The symbols were similar to Le Formule and the 90 foot stone. Decoding the message led from "the altar" to a location of a 40 foot dig. They dig down and find some ground up stone at 40 feet but no treasure.
Hi Mike moved my reply to this thread hope you do not mind...

So they expect to have another season... Really wonder why.. They have not found anything this season to justify another in my view.

I am pretty stunned they have managed to spin this season out for so long with finding nothing..

Just take a look at any of the old photos and you can see mountains of wood used by previous searchers. The chances are the wood in the swamp is just refuse dumped there by previous searchers or washed in there by nature. No supprise finding old crap in a swamp near heavily farmed, mined and other industry in the area.

Given that they gave up telling the truth long ago about there finds they probably already know where the wood is from and I would wager it is ordinary human activity..

Thanks Mike really do appreciate you reviews...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So they expect to have another season... Really wonder why.. They have not found anything this season to justify another in my view.

I am pretty stunned they have managed to spin this season out for so long with finding nothing..

Just take a look at any of the old photos and you can see mountains of wood used by previous searchers. The chances are the wood in the swamp is just refuse dumped there by previous searchers or washed in there by nature. No supprise finding old crap in a swamp near heavily farmed, mined and other industry in the area.

I posted it to the wrong thread - I think the 'ship' or whatever bundle of wood is down there is something a bit different than searcher discards. The swamp deposits above the ship are dateable. A large dock or wooden structure could have blown into the swamp and sunk below the muck line; I don't think even searchers would transport all that wood into the swamp to try to sink it when it would be so much easier to pile up somewhere among all the dirt.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Given that they gave up telling the truth long ago about there finds they probably already know where the wood is from and I would wager it is ordinary human activity..

Thanks Mike really do appreciate you reviews...

B&B.jpg

UH HU HU; "You Said Wood"

Your Bud Aurum

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted it to the wrong thread - I think the 'ship' or whatever bundle of wood is down there is something a bit different than searcher discards. The swamp deposits above the ship are dateable. A large dock or wooden structure could have blown into the swamp and sunk below the muck line; I don't think even searchers would transport all that wood into the swamp to try to sink it when it would be so much easier to pile up somewhere among all the dirt.
Ok Mike you have spiked my interest. I will watch the latest episode (will be the first this season ;D )

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the end, it’s the remains of a common ship that would be typical on an island that performed ship maintenance.......using the trash left over from the ship to dump into a muddy area and cover with rocks to create a path is nothing notable......but it does give some folks fodder for their fictional money pit/templar/bacon/aztec/alien/space-time warp tunnel stories....

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And now we can close this thread ...

There's at least one more episode coming up where they return to the sea and try to survey for underwater features that they will not be allowed to touch because of seafloor preservation laws.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
There's at least one more episode coming up where they return to the sea and try to survey for underwater features that they will not be allowed to touch because of seafloor preservation laws.

Thanks for the info !

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of course they are not allowed to, “touch”...... LOL

I agree with Sasquach, close the thread, season eight ended up like seasons 1-7, fictional drama with no basis in fact.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched that section of the show where they found the wood. (first bit of this season I have watched). So not credible there excuse for not digging up the wood. Rick must of said multiple times "we need to go slow" but no reason why? The wood was exposed long enough to get clear camera images of it so they could of easily tied a rope around it an lifted it up with their digger. As they said it was just sitting in mud. They could of also easily blocked of that stream they showed running in to the area.

It is just not believable that they think this find is significant but then just decide to not even take a sample, not try pumping the water, not try lifting the beam up, Not even jumping in an taking of a splinter of the wood for testing... So that next year they can come back and spend 100s of thousands of dollars to build a new massive coffer dam on something that may just ne a relatively modern plank from anywhere.. They must think their audience are stupid...

If they truly believed that find was significant they would of done something to get some/all of that beam. I would guess they already know exactly what it is but are trying to leave something 'unexplained' to try to get another season of their show approved...

i also notice they do not have any actual archaeologists etc agreeing with their speculations..

My view is this is just more lies and spin from the Laginas as they try to milk oak island for a few more dollars...

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As it’s been proven that there was never a money pit long ago, the laginas are milking the lies they create for all they can hoping to stretch the fictional show one more season in order to continue to fleece advertisers, not unlike previous hoaxers.

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I'll agree that Oak Island is definitely being milked for all it's worth, I don't believe the Laginas are doing anything but trying to learn as much information about what went on there in the past. Certainly not for the money: I don't believe there is any transfer of money from History Channel to Laginas unless someone knows of a source of this information. And there's no way the Laginas actually make any money from the whole process; right now tours are the only income source and there were no tours in 2020. The show makes enough to cover the film crew, studio production and airtime costs but certainly not enough to pay the Laginas, especially when it costs a million dollars to drop a single large hole.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I'll agree that Oak Island is definitely being milked for all it's worth, I don't believe the Laginas are doing anything but trying to learn as much information about what went on there in the past. Certainly not for the money: I don't believe there is any transfer of money from History Channel to Laginas unless someone knows of a source of this information. And there's no way the Laginas actually make any money from the whole process; right now tours are the only income source and there were no tours in 2020. The show makes enough to cover the film crew, studio production and airtime costs but certainly not enough to pay the Laginas, especially when it costs a million dollars to drop a single large hole.

The laginas figured out a long time ago that all of the previous diggers were hoaxers (probably before season 1). The cast members are paid per season:

https://medium.com/pop-cultured/who...-island-whos-paying-for-the-show-8e4a90c550cd

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The laginas figured out a long time ago that all of the previous diggers were hoaxers (probably before season 1). If one doesn't think they make income from the show, you're kidding yourself.

I'm definitely kidding myself. But to be real - they are using income from their other enterprises and investors to finance their activities. Are you referring to possible money from investors as 'income'?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updated my post with a link stating they are paid per season.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
March 16, 2021

Documentary TV Series, The Curse of Oak Island Season 8, produced by Tell Tale International Inc., has been approved for a funding commitment of $3,758,261 based on eligible Nova Scotia expenditure of $12,739,867.

September 3, 2019

Documentary TV Series, The Curse of Oak Island Season 7, produced by Tell Tale International Inc., has been approved for a funding commitment of $3,540,925 based on an eligible Nova Scotia expenditure of $12,003,135.

October 9, 2018

The television series, Curse of Oak Island Season 6, produced by Tell Tale International Inc., NSFPIF funding commitment of $3,970,883 (budget year 2018-19).

October 10, 2017

Television Series, Curse of Oak Island Season 5, produced by Tell Tale International Inc. NSFPIF funding commitment of $1,926,689. (budget year 2017-18)

August 2, 2016

Television series: Curse of Oak Island Season 4 produced by Tell Tale International Inc. NSFPIF funding commitment of $1,271,546 (budget year 2017-18).

https://www.novascotiabusiness.com/news/film-productions-announced

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread