Any one else ? ? ?

It says to me...

BEEN HUNTED... HARD. heh

OR...

Its wasnt even ON...

OR...

Something else was amiss.

OR ! ! !

There was and is NOTHING there to begin with.... "Activity" / "work" / "Anything worth a hoot" wise.

heh

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... this also says ALOT to me...

Any one else ? ? ?

It says to me...

BEEN HUNTED... HARD. heh

OR...

Its wasnt even ON...

OR...

Something else was amiss.

OR ! ! !

There was and is NOTHING there to begin with.... "Activity" / "work" / "Anything worth a hoot" wise.

heh

Or that the ocean is so clean there that no trash is present. Not likely - I suspect something wasn't optimized if it is as sensitive as it sounds like it should be.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or that the ocean is so clean there that no trash is present. Not likely - I suspect something wasn't optimized if it is as sensitive as it sounds like it should be.
Or the whole area has been so picked over by others there really is nothing left to find...

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And they continue to avoid well know equipment and grids to systematically hunt. Gary wanders around, they fail to drag a magnetometer behind the boat like they do here on the treasure coast, and the underwater detector expert diver does not layout a grid or use a rope for good coverage - at least they are screening items now. I bet Gary is mad he did not find the Navy booten!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atleast they gave us another possiblity as to how S Ball came into some money.. Don't remember the captains name that might have "taken" some riches he was bringing by boat and then bought the lot beside S Ball and left it to him in his death...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or the whole area has been so picked over by others there really is nothing left to find...

I can guess that Dan would have hired someone to look at the structures in more detail, but probably not systematically picked over. Since the wharves are off the coast, I wonder what is the incidence of boats just pulling into that area, dropping anchor and sending a diver down? They could even work at night. That could explain the area being picked clean.

By comparison this episode was just a confirmation that the stones in a possible wharf configuration do exist. And if they happened to point the detector toward some anomaly, that would have been the usual "Beep/buzz - ok folks, something mysterious to investigate there for next season".

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show narrator, “What’s that?......a wharf located on an island?......could this be how the templars unloaded unimaginable treasure?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this week's episode:

I see the DVR captured a "behind the scenes, making of" drilling down episode. A special treat for later!

It is their final week of work before winter. Dr Spooner proposes enlisting a chemist to analyze water samples from the various tunnels. The presence of copper / zinc / silver could indicate items being underwater for many years. In borehole C11.5, they find evidence of burning, then an 18 foot drill drop: but it turns out to be a section of soft clay.

Noted that the 90 foot tunnel samples predate the first known searchers. Even the naval stores theory cannot explain this.

Gary detects along the coast off lot 32 (near the suspected wharf) and find a possibly important clue: a decorated trigger guard off an old musket or pistol. Also an old lead sack seal. Lead bag seals might contain information about country of origin. A top pocket find! It contains a number 4, which was the sign of the cross in the old days. Templars!

Along the path they continue to find pottery, including some creamware.

Next week is the season finale, where they reveal the first direct evidence of real treasure.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL......another episode of nothingness.....next week, “we found the money pit and will dig it up next season.....The running joke of hoax island continues....

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mates, Did you notice how dirty and nasty Gary's fingernails were when he picks up the bale seal

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lets you know he actually does some work/digging around there. Not just some producer handing him stuff with a set of lines for him to read about finding it....as some believe..

Apr 28, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time posting about this show. I'm somewhat late to game...just started watching last fall. I seriously doubt there's any treasure...but I enjoy watching the different personalities and the unearthing (staged or not) of historical artifacts. Pretty interesting stuff and subject matter...and an occasional history lesson, to boot. Overall, it's a nice side distraction from all of the other mess going on in the world today.

That being said, I do have some recurring thoughts and questions that seem to pop up every single episode. Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere...and sorry if any key individuals happen to stumble across this post...just my observation and thoughts.

1. What the heck does Begley do? Granted, like I said, I'm a little late to the game...but I've never seen this guy pick up one shovel, turn over one pile of dirt or help Drayton pick out any discarded beer can tabs. He always seems to find himself in the right position to give a goofy grin whenever the cameras need an "a-ha moment" moneyshot. Other than that, he's the only person out of the entire cast that I have no idea what the heck he does. Enlighten me.

2. With the ridiculous amount of resources being wasted in each episode, why not just blow your whole wad and dig a huge hole where they think the treasure is? Seems like a waste of time spitballing holes all over the place. There is knowledge of where the Money Pit was originally found...so dig there...again...but a much bigger hole.

3. Speaking of bore holes...in the event that the Templars, carnies or aliens planted some sort of awesome treasure down in a hole, maybe they should be a little more careful where they're punching holes. Maybe original biblical manuscripts or other important documents are sealed in the "vault". Using huge metal pipes to punch holes into that area seems pretty foolish that you might end up ruining paper documents or other delicate items with the piping or the resulting water rushing in. Of course I know gold and silver are the true treasures to these guys...but seriously, if they really think something beyond metallic and/or gem valuables are down there, maybe they ought to take it a little easier with the pipe shotgunning.

4. I can't fathom how much that entire band of Oceans 11-esque work crew costs to employ for an entire summer.

5. I find it cool that Alex Lagina gets to treasure hunt with his dad. When I was younger, my dad would take me out for some really small-time metal detecting...and it was fun. Good memories of our time together. I appreciate that aspect of the show, even if they don't capitalize on that storyline at all.

6. The camera sure loves Mariam. Each character on this show gets a fair amount of camera-time during shots. Mariam's seems to last just a bit longer. Not complaining. Just an observation.

7. Gary Drayton drinking game. Take a shot/swig/sip for every single "mate" he drops during an episode. You'll be passed out at :23 minutes in.

All in all, not the most intriguing show ever...but still a fun distraction...even if they never find anything. I share in the spirit that sometimes just the thrill of the chase is as good as finding your destination/final result.

Cheers everyone! Here's hoping that there's a Mint 10 Honus Wagner in a sealed plastic sleeve down there somewhere...and they don't poke a hole in it with one of those boring pipes.

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - the show is a pleasant distraction; a combination of reality and fantasy.

1. What the heck does Begley do?

He's one of the partners and they show him giving manual labor assistance at times. His big contribution is the spoils washer machine and the wash table where they hand-sort through the spoils.

2. With the ridiculous amount of resources being wasted in each episode, why not just blow your whole wad and dig a huge hole where they think the treasure is? Seems like a waste of time spitballing holes all over the place. There is knowledge of where the Money Pit was originally found...so dig there...again...but a much bigger hole.

They would have dug the mega-hole this year, but it couldn't be arranged because of Covid and it was postponed until Season 9. In the meantime, the 90 foot tunnel they found this year was not on any map. And the 'original money pit location' is unknown because of the attempted large holes dug in the area over the years.

3. Speaking of bore holes...in the event that the Templars, carnies or aliens planted some sort of awesome treasure down in a hole, maybe they should be a little more careful where they're punching holes. Maybe original biblical manuscripts or other important documents are sealed in the "vault". Using huge metal pipes to punch holes into that area seems pretty foolish that you might end up ruining paper documents or other delicate items with the piping or the resulting water rushing in. Of course I know gold and silver are the true treasures to these guys...but seriously, if they really think something beyond metallic and/or gem valuables are down there, maybe they ought to take it a little easier with the pipe shotgunning.

That was a consideration as they first sunk the 6 foot boreholes; should they run the hammer grab and risk ruining priceless treasure? Since the standard archeology technique of dustpan and brush is impractical at depth, they just run the hammer grab and drill boreholes until something more definite is discovered.

6. The camera sure loves Mariam. Each character on this show gets a fair amount of camera-time during shots. Mariam's seems to last just a bit longer. Not complaining. Just an observation.

Seems a good technique to hold / increase show ratings.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the DVR captured a "behind the scenes, making of" drilling down episode.

I got a chance to watch this and is well worth watching. It makes a good case that the moments of the finds are real - they don't do retakes. If Gary is out detecting for hours, the crew are with him running film the whole time - perhaps for 120 seconds of video. I found it interesting that even though they had to scale back for 2020 in Covid, there was still a large crew out there to get the footage they got.

Also gave a tribute to Kevin Burns, the show producer who passes away last September. Kevin was the driving force that made the show- sensing that the story that drove Alex and Marty would make a quality show.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noted that the 90 foot tunnel samples predate the first known searchers. Even the naval stores theory cannot explain this....
Hi Mike given I have not watched the show a couple of questions maybee you could answer (and save me the time of having to watch).

How did they establish the date of this tunnel?

Where was the "90 foot tunnel" found?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike given I have not watched the show a couple of questions maybee you could answer (and save me the time of having to watch).

How did they establish the date of this tunnel?

Where was the "90 foot tunnel" found?

The "90 foot tunnel" was found just to the west of the constellation of drill holes at the "money pit". There are no marked searcher tunnels there on any map.

The tunnel was dated based on wood core samples found over summer 2020. Because they were cored samples, I suspect it was all carbon-based dating and not the more reliable dendritic dating. I don't know if the results were controlled against carbon dating dendritic samples taken from other parts of the money pit area, in which case it would have more meaning. (Such as "even if the 90 foot tunnel was made by searchers, why did they use wood that's 100 years older than other areas to make that tunnel?")

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread