The Curse of Oak Island - The last "great" treasure hunting show?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
My apologies we have deviated from the topic a wee bit. So I will stray back a little.

In short in respects of TV producers view "the Curse of Oak island" has been a great success love it or hated it at lasted about 8 seasons.

I cannot see any other TV treasure hunting show concept being milked for that long. So in effect the brothers have in some respects a money spinner based on what if?

Crow

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies we have deviated from the topic a wee bit. So I will stray back a little.

In short in respects of TV producers view "the Curse of Oak island" has been a great success love it or hated it at lasted about 8 seasons.

I cannot see any other TV treasure hunting show concept being milked for that long. So in effect the brothers have in some respects a money spinner based on what if?

Crow
Yep... When i referred to "Great" in the thread title what I meant was shows hunting one of the"great" lost treasures ie the Ark of the Covenant, the jade room etc not "great' in the sense of a great show.

I am quite stunned they have managed to keep ratings in this show for 8 seasons when they have found nothing. That is over 120 episodes when all their finds together would not be worth $100.

Other shows like Legend of the Superstition Mountains were lucky to be able to spin their show out for 6 episodes.

It seems strange that a show where there is not any evidence of treasure at all has been so much more successful than shows that at least have a real treasure to be looking for....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see I am not the only one who keeps getting suckered :P

I can see clearly that the Oak Island Treasure legend will go down in history as... ONE OR the other...

The legend that just will never die.... OR.... the one that DID.

heh

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think an "everyman"-type show would do well, and not necessarily "treasure hunting", per se. Shows like "Gold Rush" seem to have a good following, but many I correspond with say it is interesting, but..."I could never do that, as I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars for equipment". Why not a show on the "weekend prospector/fossiker", who goes out to find what he can, with his pan, sluice and/or high-banker? Sure there will likely be a lot of dry holes...but it would make finding that little 1-gram picker more significant. Seeing Schnabel or Beets pouring out a Mason Jar of shiney stuff makes you drool, but...also disheartens, to some extent.

Such an "weekend prospector" show could be educational, as well. Basic geology, reading the river, testing, prospecting, filing a claim - and dealing with bureaucrats... Featuring a different geographical area each season would add to the variety, and showing different techniques suited for the environment: Sluices in Northern California, Georgia, and NSW, dry washers in Arizona or Western Australia, nugget shooting in Western Australia or Nevada with a detector; so many people are completely unaware that they do not have to live or spend a t 2-week (paid for) holiday in California, Alaska or NSW or WA to find gold on a weekend outing. In the US, gold can be found in Michigan, Indiana, Georgia, Alabama, and even Oklahoma. I'm sure companies like Gold Hog, Gold Cube, Keene, and Minelab would support/sponsor such a show, especially if their equipment was featured. The biggest danger is such a show would again be, going all-out for having the best, most expensive equipment, and seemingly unlimited resources. True, this post is not exatly on the subject of "treause hunting", verbatim, yet we all treasure the search in any form.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... When i referred to "Great" in the thread title what I meant was shows hunting one of the"great" lost treasures ie the Ark of the Covenant....

Ark Photo.jpg

Great to hear you are still searching on Oak Island

In other news....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And once again . . . ?

Scoured rocks? Surf? The rock bed of a creek?

Makes no sense. Please do not assume we think like you think when viewing a spurious image.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1903682

Great to hear you are still searching on Oak Island

In other news....

Gazzahk is not searching for fictional treasure on hoax island.....fictional treasure and photo shopped images to make fantastical claims is your trade mark.

Perhaps some day you will provide actual facts and prove you claims. I for one would very much enjoy reading a news story showcasing eldo’s find of an actual treasure or other historically significant find....but based on information provided thus far I’m not holding out much hope.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread