A few questions regarding digging.

Daveaohio

Greenie
Apr 21, 2009
Most of my MDing experience has been along the coast where there is no need to worry about disturbing the surface and the digging is easy so I have a few questions regarding conditions here in Ohio.

1. Has anyone ever used a bulb planting tool or a modified version of such to cut plugs and/or dig. The guide that came with my Whites MD suggest the hinge method. I was just curious as cutting a plug seems like a clean way to dig.
2. Do you search gravel parking areas found at fair grounds, drive-ins, etc? If so do you only look for surface finds or do you dig? If you dig how to you get through the gravel?
3. What is the average size hole you use to extract your finds?
Last Question? I have had rotator cuff and bicep surgery on my left shoulder. I am right handed but will need the right shoulder fixed as soon as the left heals. I haven't actually had the MD out to see if I can use it I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and had any suggestions. I have mainly been hunting points since they don't require much effort from my shoulders.
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Dave

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find out where the center is,cut a circle plug around it. See if its in the plug or hole,put the dirt and plug back in the hole,stomp on it. I have never really dug in gravel,so Im not much help there. I mostly hunt parks ands woods. By the way,where you from in ohio? Maybe we can get together sometime? Dave

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Daveaohio said:
Most of my MDing experience has been along the coast where there is no need to worry about disturbing the surface and the digging is easy so I have a few questions regarding conditions here in Ohio.

1. Has anyone ever used a bulb planting tool or a modified version of such to cut plugs and/or dig. The guide that came with my Whites MD suggest the hinge method. I was just curious as cutting a plug seems like a clean way to dig.
2. Do you search gravel parking areas found at fair grounds, drive-ins, etc? If so do you only look for surface finds or do you dig? If you dig how to you get through the gravel?
3. What is the average size hole you use to extract your finds?
Last Question? I have had rotator cuff and bicep surgery on my left shoulder. I am right handed but will need the right shoulder fixed as soon as the left heals. I haven't actually had the MD out to see if I can use it I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and had any suggestions. I have mainly been hunting points since they don't require much effort from my shoulders.
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Dave

I use a small spade that I bought from Sears. It has a lifetime warranty all for about 10 bucks. Digs deep quickly and makes a nice cut into the soil. Very light and easy to carry.

I can dig down deep and then back fill to a point that even the park rangers were impressed with not being able to see where I dig. I heel in the cuts so the plug is in tight. Never have had any complaints in over 25 years of digging.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I use a lesche digger and I dig in parking lots (gravel) it's a little more work, but I just push the gravel back in the hole, stomp it down and keep moving on

M

michigan michael

I actually enjoy hunting gravel lots. :dontknow: They always carry a ton of clad and a few other surprises!

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
steve from ohio said:
I use a small spade that I bought from Sears. It has a lifetime warranty all for about 10 bucks. Digs deep quickly and makes a nice cut into the soil. Very light and easy to carry.

I can dig down deep and then back fill to a point that even the park rangers were impressed with not being able to see where I dig. I heel in the cuts so the plug is in tight. Never have had any complaints in over 25 years of digging.

Can you post a pic of that spade?

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
I dig round plugs and try to keep the diameter no more than 4 or 5 inches. However I've had to go wider on some really deep finds. I always take the time to neatly fill every hole and place the sod back on top. I think that's important for our hobby.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the ground is damp and i am detecting the parks or other yards I cut a 4 or 5 inch pug find my object and put everything back in and step on the plug to make sure it is tight. When it is dry I hunt the swimming holes as this is sand and you don;t have to worry about what it looks like just fill in the hole you made and you are on your way.....Matt

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I always recommend cutting a u-shaped plug. I've seen mowers suck up the round plugs too easily during dry weather. The grass seems to look healthier on the u-cut plugs after a few days. I don't dig nice lawns/ parks during hot dry weather. Old Drive in theaters are great places to detect, when I dig in gravel I use an angled steel nail puller about 8 inches long that I got from the hardware store. I just quickly scrape away at the gravel, it's quick and easy, I think. Good luck on your adventures.
Steve
www.daytondigger.com

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the plug type digger, I didn't like it that much, hard to carry and Ohio soil is mostly clay, very hard to dig in. Unless of course you hunt in towns with a lot of good top soil.

While I'm relic hunting in fields, I usually carry my entrenching tool on my side through a hammer holder, works great. Of course I always fill in my holes no mater where I dig. That is just a common courtesy.

On peoples property in towns, I use a Stainless Steel trowel. I cut a U shaped plug, flip it back, put the soil that comes out of the hole onto a piece of plastic. After finding the item, I just pick up the plastic and pour the soil back into the hole, flip the U shaped plug back over and stomp on it.

As for gravel sites, they are great places to find coins. They just take a little more digging. A good garden rake will do just fine, you know the small ones.

Hope this helped some.

HH,Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread