New

Balfrea

Aug 5, 2010
Hey all

Just recently got my detector back, and finding ohio to be a bit confusing with the laws. Tried the law sticky but the link was broken. I've picked up the basics of state park laws while browsing, but i'm trying to find advice on school playgrounds, what the laws are, what I should expect when asking for permission as well as who to ask. Anyone have any recommendations for around the columbus area for a new guy?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to welcome you to Tnet. Where are you at in Ohio. I also live in Ohio and I have never had any problems with hunting school yards. I hunt playgrounds all the time and never I even had the cops stop and ask me if I ever get rich detecting. But never a problem. State parks I always stop at the office and get permission to hunt and they always tells me where I can detect. It is the beach area and tot lots if they have sand or something else beside grass in them. If you are close to Williams County give me a shout by email ot PM and we can hook up for some hunts.....Matt

OP
OP
B

Balfrea

Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the welcome! I went ahead and sent an e-mail to the school I wanted, seeing as you haven't had a problem I will wait a few days for a reply, then just try it. I'm in Columbus, not sure where you county is :p Thanks for the help!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am straight west of Toledo about 60 miles......Matt

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Balfrea said:
Thanks for the welcome! I went ahead and sent an e-mail to the school I wanted, seeing as you haven't had a problem I will wait a few days for a reply, then just try it. I'm in Columbus, not sure where you county is :p Thanks for the help!

Hi Balfrea !

There is an excellent thread on metal detecting schools on Friendly Metal Detecting Forums.

You can read member comments without having to Login.

Here's the route : Friendly Metal Detecting Forums website > Metal Detecting board >
General Hobby Discussion forum > Metal Detecting school yards topic

After digesting all the comments, you can make up your own mind about getting permission.

Happy Hunting !

ToddB64

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live up near Cleveland...

and have never had a problem while hunting schools. I have never ventured out into the fields or anything...I always stay within the playgrounds and such where there is sand or mulch. I would guess something might get said to you if they saw ya digging around the sports fields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread