Ohio laws on where we can detect

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each town, township, and county have there own revised codes. Most towns have a website that you can go to and read their codes/laws.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Lorain county, where are you?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I lived in Madison, OH in the late 80's, I got interrupted 3 times at different park locations by a sheriff's deputy informing me I was trespassing. That interrupted my passion for the game and I didn't pick back up on the hobby until just a few years ago.

So, make sure you do your research on just where it is legal to search.

OP
OP
M

Magicman24

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best way to find that out call town hall or the city?

OP
OP
M

Magicman24

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been stopped at a park . I know the revised code SAIS any public land maintained by the state or city can be detected unless otherwise noted . but it's always ify to try a public place sometimes.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Try this, it's worked for me.

Take your detector only, no digger.

Mark the sweet spots with wooden golf tees, they are cheap.

If the police or an official shows up to run you off, you are not digging a thing. Don't even have a digger. Just testing out your machine and practicing.

They end up standing there with a stupid look on their face.

Keep swinging for a few minutes after they leave and then depart yourself. You will have your answer.

If in an hour or so nobody bothers you. Dig your plugs.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A good approach to this is contacting the city government, and county governments. A simple phone call will do.

Some cities allow it, others do it by permit (i.e. Roanoke and Danville Virginia), and then some do not allow it by law. This is the only way to make sure. Don't go by someone's word, check into it yourself. A phone call is the best way to start.

OP
OP
M

Magicman24

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know who to get ahoold of for historical site permission

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know who to get ahoold of for historical site permission

Some historical sites are private, you can get permission from the owner or the group or organization that owns them. If state owned? You might not be allowed. I believe federal historical sites are a for sure NO.

So, it depends on who owns it. County,state,private..........One thing I've found is to start at the place where you want to hunt and ask there first(if occupied or maintained by someone), they will point you in the right direction most of the time.

Get to know your local Historical Society if you have one! It might pay off!

You also might be in an area where people could care less if they see you detecting. That does play into it too. Not to give bad advice but it is true. :laughing7:

I detected schools and a lot of other areas of Ohio and never had any major problems. I was told to put it away at one state park and waved at in another. Just be civil and nice to who ever confronts you and don't dig "holes". I got real good at popping targets out with a screwdriver or something similar.

GiB has a great idea too! It seems when people see you "digging" they freak! If they see you poking the ground with a small screwdriver they are curious. :laughing7: Plus in some areas surface finds are allowed and if you have to "dig" they are not. So your wording is important too. Holes and a mess will get you kicked out of areas that are allowed!

Use your common sense and judgement too. Even if it's allowed, it's really taken care of, or there are a lot of people around sometimes it's best just to move on.It avoids headaches... Just my 2 cents...:laughing7: Area means a lot.

Last edited:

Amrap

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2016
Parma,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping I have the same type experience I had while posting cemetery headstones for a Website. A neighbor of a cemetery called the police because they thought I was digging up a headstone. When the Officer pulled up I was walking towards my car. I told him I was simply cleaning a flat headstone so I could take a picture of it for family research. When he saw the headstone I cleared he smiled and explained that he had to check it out since someone called. I would think that if people saw that we aren't digging trenches and leaving them wide open, they wouldn't find a problem with it. BUT still check with the city in case there is an ordinance against it.

Ed

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... BUT still check with the city in case there is an ordinance against it....

....some do not allow it by law. This is the only way to make sure. Don't go by someone's word, check into it yourself. A phone call is the best way to start.

....So, make sure you do your research on just where it is legal to search.

Deepseeker and Amrap: What source (origination point) will this information be coming from ? You would think that whomever fields your question will be citing actual laws and ordinances. Right ? Other than just their personal whim, mood, feeling, etc... right ? Ok then, what's wrong with Loco-digger's answer then :

.... Most towns have a website that you can go to and read their codes/laws.

Right. Can't someone look up said rules for themselves ? Otherwise, you can bump into the "no one cared TILL you asked" phenomenon. Ie.: getting a no to your "pressing question, because some pencil pusher envisions geeks with shovels. Best to look up for oneself. If there's not thing there saying "no metal detecting", then presto: It's not prohibited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread