Indian Gold

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
Just picked up on a old story....can't believe I hadn't heard it before. Supposedly my wifes g-grandma spent many years looking for an old indian "fort" high on a hilltop. There is an earthen mound in a circular configuration, gold is said to be buried in the center. The trail to the fort is supposed to be marked by trees that were bent down and up in a possible "L" shape. I have seen a tree or two in this shape but thought nothing of it.

Any good sources to reference for possible locations of settlements?

Thanks,
Adam

P

pickaway

Sounds interesting, but a untouched mound in Ohio would be rare,they were friggin mined in the late 1800s early 1900's and when news got out about what was found in them alot of them were dug,its against the law i beleive now to dig a mound, go figure, but you never know good luck...

OP
OP
F

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
This is one of the few spots in my area that hasn't been strip mined or timbered since the 1800's. If it is there, she never found it, or knew of anyone to find it. Who knows...just thought I'd put it out there...might be a crazy ol' lady tellin tales.....

Adam

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yo! ;D There are "Indian" Mounds in Virginia (seen 'em), and heard of such Mounds in West Virginia, & Ohio, especially along Ohio River; may be others, tho. I would "google" INDIAN MOUNDS/MOUND-BUILDERS. ;)

kydave

Oct 7, 2006
Yo Rebel! Got mounds in Ky. too, theres a couple near me. They all seem to have a story to go with them! Story on one of them is an Indian princess is buried is buried in it! Probably just a tale!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L Trees

I have seen L shaped trees in John Bryant State park near Yellow Springs ohio. Hope this helps.

SKD

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
There is an indian fort high on a hill top in Rocky River Reservation (part of the Cleveland Metroparks). Definitely fits the bill. But, you can't even ghost hunt there let alone metal detect.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
starsplitter said:
There is an indian fort high on a hill top in Rocky River Reservation (part of the Cleveland Metroparks). Definitely fits the bill. But, you can't even ghost hunt there let alone metal detect.

Where is that one at? I'm not familiar with it.

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I don't think it would be classified as a mound. I've never made it up. It's described as a "fort" used by the natives. Rocky River Reservation is part of the Cleveland Metroparks. If you google map "Rocky River, Ohio" you should be able to find it. If you can find a map of the park itself, the site may be on it.

cmbohio

Jul 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are indian mounds all over ohio. and the story about the indian princess is true. The mound that contains the remains of the hopewell indian princess is in Towners woods park in Kent, Ohio. It was dug in the early 1900s and 13-14 bodies were found plus a tomb containing the princess. I live 5 miles from here and have been on the mound. There are small indian mounds all over here in northeast ohio.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
I may be digging this old tread out of the cob webs, but here goes. I grew up very close to an area that was well known to have been the site of a Wyandot Indian fort. It is now, as it was when I was a kid, a farm field. Look at coordinates 40.11357, -83.10860
You can see bare stone spots in a large quarter-circle SW of the above coordinates. The fort was one of a chain of supposedly guard settlements along the Scioto River. I have no information on any archeological findings from this fort. Also there were two house foundations in the tree row along the east side of Riverside Drive just south of Bright Road. The houses were gone by the time I was stomping around the area in the early fifties. I think anyone wanting to metal detect in this area could contact the farm owner and get permission. No, I don't know the present farm owner. Used to know the owner back many years ago.

Merlin

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been fascinated with prehistoric man in Ohio most of my life. There is some interesting reading in the old Archeological and historical society publications published over 100 years ago. Most libraries have complete sets.

The Original excavations are described in detail, but I never read any confirmation of gold being discovered. Some silver, copper, but no gold. There were lot's of stories of gold but as far as I know they were just stories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread