88.8 KB · Views: 5,138

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you gypsy for the nice pics! Abandoned houses like this are a treasure hunters dream when you can get permission to not only hunt the grounds but also the house and outbuildings. Been there, done that. I'm sure many others have too! Keep up the excellent research....

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in, by, and around that old house many times, though I wouldn't recommend going inside it anymore since it is very deteriorated now. Like justgeese said, that house is just above one of the largest Ft Ancient village sites in southern Ohio. That is part of the old Goldcamp Farm and used to be a very beautiful house at one time.

As for gold coins being found there. I was there looking for artifacts one day a few years back and there was a guy there with a metal detector and he was around were the old Trading Post was out by the river when I hear him let out a whoop and I went to see what he had found. He had an 185? Flying Eagle $50 gold coin that was in almost mint condition.

The first picture here is of a nice Stone Disc I found at Goldcamps and you can see the house in the background.

The second picture shows the stand of trees were the foundation of the old Trading Post is and where the $50 gold coin was found. You can also see part of the village on the ridge right out from the trees to the left.

Attachments

• Image00013.jpg
    Image00013.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 649
  • Goldcamp Pics 11.JPG
    Goldcamp Pics 11.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 673

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to report that the old house has been razed and is no longer there. I went by the other day to see if they had plowed the fields yet so I could get in and find some artifacts and saw that the house was gone. Someone must have hauled all of it away because I didn't see any large piles of debirs anywhere and it didn't look like it had burnt down either. All of the barns were still there as of last week though.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Dang....I wonder what happened.....another piece of history gone :'(......Thank you for adding to this

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been meaning to post this, but had forgotten about it until just a little while ago. The house was actually burned down by an arsonist. I talked to a guy who works the local fire dept in that area and he said since there was no gas or electric connected to the house and the fact it was completely engulfed in flames by the time they arrived they figured it had to be arson. I haven't talked to him since to confirm this, but it's pretty evident it had to be.

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
Here is a picture of the Goldcamp house that is now torn down. I have spent a lot of time looking for artifacts around the property and was a good friend of the couple that took care of the last of the Goldcamps until he died. His name was Alfred and the picture is his parents sitting in front of the house. The house sat near the river and face the river.
The picture from the air is the house that is shown in pictures that are already posted along with the barns.

Attachments

• Goldcamps house.jpg
    Goldcamps house.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 516
  • Goldcamps.jpg
    Goldcamps.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 506
  • Goldcamps Barns & House.jpg
    Goldcamps Barns & House.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 508

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread