Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, docmann. You can also find pictographs in that area. You're only about 300 miles or so from us, so run on up. (haha) Did you get that PM I tried to send you about my son's finds over in Red Rock Canyon? Later.

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
RGINN,
I didn't get that PM. Please resend or shoot me an email at [email protected]. My wife's parents live in Hinton and I get over to Red Rock from time to time.
First time up to Black Mesa, and I've seem some of the reports of the glyphs.
Hope you're doing well.
docmann

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

Just back from the Black Mesa country in Cimarron county, Oklahoma. Wow, hardly looks like the Oklahoma that most of us know and love, but the land up there does have its appeal. Hiked up to the top of several mesas (out of the way mesas on private property). One of these is known locally as the "workshop". Apparently, the Indians camped just below on the flat next to the creek, while the sentinels stood lookout from the top of this mesa. It is speculated that while on lookout, the sentinels occupied themselves with producing weapons and tools. By the looks of the lithic scatter (vast amounts of flint of varying colors and types), I'm inclined to believe this area was indeed a "workshop" for the various tribes who used it. Notice the numerous pieces of flint scattered around in the in situ photo below. We found three points here, although I dropped one and in the following thirty minutes couldn't recover it. Found several blanks (aka core stones) of varying degrees of manufacture. Most definitely a target-rich area, and would recommend the region to anyone.
docmann

Attachments

• BlkMesaPt1.GIF
    BlkMesaPt1.GIF
    283.5 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC09957(1).GIF
    DSC09957(1).GIF
    214.3 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC09907(1).GIF
    DSC09907(1).GIF
    252.7 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC09931(1).GIF