Turner Falls

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

I assume you are talking about within the boundaries of the park.

Last I heard is that if you're caught, you may get a verbal warning, or the Park Ranger may confiscate your detector and fine you. Probably depends on your attitude at the time. Unless their policy has changed, I wouldn't try it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for the Oklahoma Department of Tourism and Recreation as a park ranger for about 7 years. The park manager can give you permission to metal detect in the state park at his discretion. I have permission in several parks. However, Turner Falls is run by the city of Davis, so you have to deal with local yokels. Call them up anyway and ask. They'll probably say no. At least give it a try.

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the info.

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe all the area around Turner Falls is now part of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. It's all Federal Land. It wouldn't hurt to ask a Park Ranger about medal detecting. All they can do is say no.

Click in the Link: http://www.nps.gov/chic/index.htm

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
The last time I attempted to use a metal detector on state property was at Beavers Bend, about two or three years ago. I had to fill out an application and pay 50 cents daily. They wanted some idea of where I would be hunting, but overall, were very gracious and helpful. I believe that it does vary from location to location. I think a pleasant attitude and a firm handshake will go a long way in opening most doors.
Good luck,
Docmann

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Turner Falls is a very beautiful spot. If you got permission where did you hunt. If you didn't where would you have hunted? the old doctors house?

Magiver

Greenie
Oct 18, 2010
I went in November 2011, I asked if it was ok when I made my reservation and they had no problem with it. I detected the swimming hole at the slide and various other parts of the park. I'm going back again in 3 weeks and can't wait.....

Update:: I just returned from
Turner falls 11-27-12
They still allow metal detectors, in fact the workers in the park said people use them there pretty often. My family and I stayed 3 days and mostly hit the Blue hole swimming area = found $3.48 a ring an earring. Lots of fun, I love that place, we come from Houston to stay there every year. The people in the park said that at the end of the summer season Sept- Oct time they pull the metal plates on the damn near the falls and by the blue hole, that's when they have the most people come use their metal detectors when the water level goes down.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread