Mar 18, 2013
Ponca City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Tesoro Cortez
White's VX3
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Oklahoma - I’m new here and hope to be able to get out to some of the more interesting locations in the north central area of the state this summer. I live in the Ponca City area and can't be traveling too far this year 'cause I need to fix up the house. Burbank and Shidler are close and seem to be interesting because of their history. Has anyone tried these areas? Any other recommendations would be appreciated. It would be great to get input from anyone near me. Thanks!

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hello Goldshot, Shidler and Burbank would probably be good enough places as any to look. Also Denoya, Whizbang, Carter 9, Lyman as these towns at one time were all BIG oilfield camps. I have'nt done any mdn at any of them ,but as you mentioned they all have an interesting history. I thought there might be a MD club in your area , but i'm not sure now.
I'd think as long as your comfortable asking for permission to hunt in those areas no problem... Goodluck

OP
OP
G

Goldshot

Mar 18, 2013
Ponca City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Tesoro Cortez
White's VX3
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the response buckshot. I'll give those places a try, Not sure what I expect to find but that's the fun in it. I was hopin' to get started about now but it looks like it'll be August.

gazmuth

Jun 16, 2012
North Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garret GTX 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to both Ponca City and the group here!

I have only lived in Ponca City for about 55 years... lol, yepper, lived here forever. But there are a lot of places here to look, and I have found a lot of relics, silver and old coins at the places listed above, and in various areas all over Ponca City. Sure, some are not as productive as others, and I pretty much just shoot by myself, but can help give you some leads if you wish, along with some local maps of the area in question. As I said, I have lived here for years, and know where a lot of the old beginning places were when the 1893 land run took place. For the past couple of years, I have been trying to research out where the old ranches were here when this was the Cherokee Outlet and the Cherokee's leased land to certain ranchers, but that is a long and frustrating search, but slowly getting it figured out. Look me up, I work shift work though, so who knows when I am working, but would be glad to aid and (abet?) you in finding places to shoot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread