Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I can liven this place up a little with an ispirational pic of Oklahoma finds. Coin purse, jewelry, tax tokens found in Caddo County. Coin purse was in the walls of an old house, and nothing in it. Bullet and button, Kiowa County. V nickels Seminole County. I got quite a bit of this stuff, and nothin really valuable, but there are some cool finds out there in Oklahoma.

Attachments

• 10-15b.jpg
    10-15b.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 138

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
good finds, 'shame the purse was empty, bet your heart skipped a beat when you found it. Is the tourqouise piece a ring? it's a nice one.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I figured some kid stole the change out of it then hid the purse in the wall so mom or dad would think they lost the whole thing somewhere. Turquoise piece is a ring that got run over. I used to find a lot of silver and turquoise jewelry in Oklahoma. The other ring was missing the central stone, but there are two small diamonds on either side of the main setting. The earring is diamond, and was found 3 inches down with my old White's Coinmaster, which I thought was a pretty neat trick. I would find quite a few tax tokens around old home places, but most were so degraded you had to know what they were to tell what they were. The V nickels were actually found by my grandpa around Seminole Oklahoma back in the forties. They were part of a larger cache, all nickels. Not a fortune. He spent most of them on groceries but hung on to a handful and I got these 4. He was tickled to find them, but really disappointed there wasn't a 1913 in the lot. And no, I have no clue where around Seminole the old rascal found them, as he never told. When he lived in Seminole he was engaged in the production of adult beverages, illegaly of course, and they kept the product buried around the yard. I always supposed maybe he might have dug the cache up while burying the shine, so he would be pretty reluctant to point out where he found them and have strangers diggin up his product. Cool if he would have had a detector in those days!

Last edited:

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing and hello from Tulsa :)

swok

Tenderfoot
Sep 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say one of my favorite finds are the tax tokens. I am still unsure what they where used for but deff one of my favorite.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Story I have been told on the tax tokens is the federal govt issued a tax to pay for WWI, a few of the states offset this by using the tax tokens.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tax tokens were a state thing, not federal, and all states didn't issue them, but the ones that wanted to get every penny due them did. I do not want to be known as an authority on tax tokens cause I ain't, so I'll keep this explanation simple. (And all these figures are for example) Say Oklahoma had a sales tax of 1 cent on the dollar. You bought somethin for fifty cents, so the tax would be half a cent, but there's no half cent coin these days. And if the merchant rounded up to a penny people would raise hell. So you paid 51 cents and they gave you a tax token worth half a cent, and you could pay that fractional tax with these tokens. You wound up carryin two separate sets of coins. This practice carried on up into the 50's or 60's. It was ridiculous and pretty much forgotten, so much so that my family never even once spoke about them, other than to say, oh, that's a tax token. I suppose like any other curiousity they're worth a little something, but I don't know of any lost tax token cache treasure stories. If you want such a story, there's a whole bunch of them buried in the side of a gully along Rte. 66 out east of Hydro OK. That's where we dumped them in 63, and I spose they're still there if they ain't been washed on down to Deer Creek.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Milestone for me; dug my first indian head cent today..1907

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, CladGrabber!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulled another indian cent from the same spot today...she's worn smooth...too smooth to get a date..oh well I'll take it!

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds RGINN. I noticed the 3 ringer in your photo....I found one earlier this year in Okfuskee County and feel fortunate to find those here in Okla. - its the first and only one Ive ever found

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's probably a lot of those bullets layin around in Oklahoma, Trooper 733, if you do some research. The hard part is gettin permission to hunt those sites, as the landowner may not want you in there and some are off limits to detecting. The bullet and button are from the Camp Radziminski site #3, some years ago when I had permission to be in there. The main location of the officer's quarters was pot holed to death and I didn't really detect that area much, but moved out in the surrounding area, where people wouldn't really think to look. People didn't just stay in one certain historical spot, so if you got time hunt all around that spot in about a half mile radius. Sometimes you get lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions